Tarot Cards and Spirit Portals

Ilithiya

It's my opinion, but Tarot is no more likely to act as a gate or portal than reading a book, end of story.

I firmly believe that whatever this lady has been told is complete bullhonkey. If she does indeed have something in her house, it isn't because of the cards.

Illy

tarotbear

Protection or not ?

Asenath:

Not sure exactly which point you want clarification on, so I will try all of them!

A Tarot deck, like a ouija board is an inanimate object. They are nothing unto themselves, merely tools. A drill is a tool; you use it to drill a hole in wood, which is a good thing. You can also drill into a skull with it. A neurosurgeon using it in this manner is a good thing; to torture and kill someone by drilling into their skull is not.

Merely having a tarot deck or a ouija board in your home is not going to put up a beacon for all nasty spirits out there to 'zero in' on your house.

Beacuse of the reputation that ouija boards have, many innocent people, usually teens, buy one and decide that whatever they saw last week in some movie is 'the way to do it' and call up all sorts of stuff they don't know is real or not to 'make' their ouija board work. Opening a door? Yes, inexperienced people can unwittingly call up ANYTHING that happens to hear the call, whether you 'believe' in such things or not. Getting rid of something unwanted is not the job of amateurs.

On the other hand, many people involved in occult dealings are aware of protection spells and other 'ritual' things such as casting circles, calling watch towers, etc. These are done to make a wall to 'keep things out.' They really do, but in the casting to keep things out, sometimes 'things' are inevitably drawn to the energy present. This is why once you cast a circle you have to remove the circle (in most cases). However, you also have to cleanse the area to lingering energy on which unwanted spirits or other energy are attracted to and can feed on. Unwanted energy may not hurt you while within your protected area, but unless you send them away ... they may stay.

I am not saying you or your friend has done any of these things. However, ouija boards fall into the influence of a spirit realm, whereas tarot cards do not. To call on spirits to 'do your bidding', even with inoccuous things such as trying to reach your dead grandmother, can be dangerous and disasterous in the hands of an inexperienced practitioner. You may be interested in a biography titled "Familiar Spirits" written by Alison Laurie about her two friends David and Jimmy, who consulted a ouija board every night for almost four years, and the effects it may have had on their lives, relationships, and professional lives.

I hope this answers your question about protective measures. There are threads on protective circles, I believe, on Aeclectic under 'The Lesser Banishing Ritual of the Pentagram' and 'The Rose Cross'. Neither of them is exclusively affilliated with a particular belief system and can be used by anyone.

Tarotphelia

Lady Tararith said:
My sister has been a Tarot reader for 15 years so I doubt that she would be lying about this.

That's so cute - tarot sisters !

Lady Tararith said:
Can Tarot cards really open doorways for spirits? If so what kinds of cards or ways the cards are used, could trigger such a thing to happen?

I don't think tarot opens doorways for them, but if you are sensitive it could develop your ability to see them and attract them further. Other things might have gone on in any house in the past that we can be unaware of that have set the stage for increased activity.

If there is a negative spirit problem in a house I will usually tell people not to do any kind of tarot activity until it's gone , because it might increase . Especially if you try to use the tarot to communicate with it and inadvertently give the entity situation more power than intended by entering into a dialog with it via the cards.

I think if you engage in any kind of spiritual activity , you have to be prepared for a possible increase in paranormal activity or perception. Which of those comes first is debatable , and it might not happen in all cases .

Can you say what the church told her , and what she thinks of it ?

autumn star

TheOld said:
when ones play with tarot or any other system to open himself to higher state, all is possible.
it's not the tarot fault, it's an individual experience.
if someone attain illumination with tarot that doesn't mean everybody will !!!

Love, Light & Power
Omeada

I agree with the above quote, by TheOld. I think that it is more individual.

also, I really dislike ouija boards ... I wouldn't touch one.

Lady Tararith

I really don't know what the church told her, my sister only mentioned this in the middle of a conversation and I don't know the lady whom it involes, so I can't go into further detail about it as I just don't know.

Lady Tararith xx

celeste

I have read in the books Tarot and Magic and Past Life Tarot that by astrally projecting yourself into a tarot card (it takes alot of practice of course) that you can unwittingly not seal the door between the realms correctly and bring some of that energy which can make you jittery (according to the author of Past Life Tarot) into your house if your not careful. However, astral projection is still on my to-do list(way, way down)so I'm not worried.

As for myself, I always smudge myself and the client (if I'm reading for one) with a sage stick before the reading just in case. It eases my mind whether or not its really needed.

Celeste

Tarotphelia

celeste said:
However, astral projection is still on my to-do list(way, way down)so I'm not worried.

It was not on my to do list at all . Yet there I was up by the ceiling one afternoon ! It can happen spontaneously, so don't be too surprised..

NightWing

Tarot, Spirits, & Church

Call me cynical about most church analysis, but I'm not not surprised that a pastor would blame spirit activity on tarot cards. It seems all too convenient to me. I wonder what a church representative would say if tarot cards had not been brought up? No doubt, some other excuse would have been found to "blame" the enquirer.

I'm not sceptical about the spirit activity per se. But the only such activity my family ever experienced was years before I took up tarot. It had very different roots, and was (mostly) benign.

BTW, if the spirit activity is very seriously disturbing and seems malevolent, it might interest you to know that in modern times, amongst Christian churches, only the Roman Catholics still maintain a formal ritual and system for "exorcism". If things were really bad, you might encourage consultation with an experienced priest (usually elderly). A legitimate Exorcist might be hard to find, but they still exist out there. Best wishes!

MercyMe

NightWing said:
BTW, if the spirit activity is very seriously disturbing and seems malevolent, it might interest you to know that in modern times, amongst Christian churches, only the Roman Catholics still maintain a formal ritual and system for "exorcism". If things were really bad, you might encourage consultation with an experienced priest (usually elderly). A legitimate Exorcist might be hard to find, but they still exist out there. Best wishes!

This is true, AND many fundamentalist charismatic (like Pentecostals) Christians do believe very strongly in evil spirits, demons, and in spirit portals of a wide variety (oh, say...unicorns, rainbows, troll dolls, Harry Potter books, any item pertaining to witchcraft, crystals, symbols, Proctor and Gamble products, rock music, TV, any book not published by Zondervan or Focus on the Family, etc.). Among these people you will find those who have a special "gift of discernment" who can see and identify demons (all spirits except the Holy Spirit are demons) and angels (who are not spirit, per se, but something like a cross between human and spirit), although they see the "new age" fascination with angels as demons masquerading as "angels of light," but I digress...anyway, so these people who can see demons or somehow discern their presence also "exorcise" them in various ways usually involving a whole lot of praying in tongues and laying on of hands, but sometimes torture of the "possessed" person and shaming of individuals and families. These folks are usually very sincere if not a bit smug. When a nonChristian seeks out the removal of a spiritual entity these folks see no reason to try and cleanse the house because, as stories of demon exorcism in the Bible attest, if you cleanse the house but do not fill it with the Holy Spirit (by way of all or at least the heads of the household converting to Christianity by "getting saved") the demons will only return sevenfold. So why bother? The people are better off with one demon rather than seven, that is unless they'd like to sit down and hear The Good News.

That said, there are cases of true deliverance among these people. But you know, I think it's a matter of calling forth positive energies and dispelling negative energies through praying, focusing, etc. They attribute their ways and beliefs with the success, which is fine, just as Catholic exorcism would attribute the method as well as the belief of the people involved. Exorcism works mainly because people believe it will work. I see that as calling forth positive energies through focused faith/belief. Which is why, in the Bible, there is another story about a man who tried to exorcise demon(s) and was attacked by the possessed and soundly beaten. His mistake? He tried to cast out the demons "in the name of Jesus" without believing in Jesus himself. So, I think the key ingredient is a sound belief in the efficacy of one's ability to expel the entities no matter what method you choose. So it's best to choose one that aligns most closely with one's own belief system.

~Mercy