The Masque Tarot - My Second Tarot Deck

blue_fusion

Sidhe-Ra said:
Oh ho ho! I LIKE the cut of your jib, young man! Looking forward to this! :)

Em xx

thanks much. i'm looking forward to that transparent tarot of yours too. :)

so i couldn't resist. i tried doing a mock-up of the card back digitally and uploaded it in DA (though the actual thing should be in coloured pencils): http://blue-fusion.deviantart.com/art/Masque-Back-65617034 :D

Sidhe-Ra

That is SERIOUSLY gorgeous! :)

x

6 Haunted Days

Those are some stunning, gorgeous cards! The style looks very similar to the Revelations Tarot (which I love).....are you publishing these?

blue_fusion

6 Haunted Days said:
Those are some stunning, gorgeous cards! The style looks very similar to the Revelations Tarot (which I love).....are you publishing these?

6 Haunted Days said:

thanks.:) i won't be using the old images i posted here since they make me queasy (the ugh-ness of my figure drawing back then), so i'll be redrawing everything. yes, i was afraid of that Revelations Tarot comparison. though the older style i used looks admittedly less like the style of the revelations, i find my creations with it more amateurish, so i guess i'll just have to wait and see if this newer approach'll lead me to a style that doesn't look too much like the Revelations deck (which is a wonderful deck, but, like every artist, i hope to develop something different).

6 Haunted Days

To be honest (and I m usually pretty frank :)) I like the lines, images and feel of your work in this deck much better than the Revelations....after I posted that I was worried you might be insulted I compared the 2....but yours has much more of a visual compact.

I am really looking forward to seeing the new images :)

Chronata

I always thought they were better than the Revelations Tarots images.

But then...I saw these first! (and fell in love with them instantly!) :love:

blue_fusion

6 Haunted Days said:
To be honest (and I m usually pretty frank :)) I like the lines, images and feel of your work in this deck much better than the Revelations....after I posted that I was worried you might be insulted I compared the 2....but yours has much more of a visual compact.

I am really looking forward to seeing the new images :)

oh no no no. i'm a fan of the revelations' art, so it's not an insult at all. (in fact, i was just wary of the comparison because it might highlight deficiencies in my artistic skills har har ) the style of the "newer" images would tend to lead towards the design in the latest link i posted, except, the newer ones will be coloured traditonally (as opposed to digitally).

thanks again 6 Haunted Days and Chronata. :)

blue_fusion

Funky Nouveau and then some

i've resolved to overhaul this after the Dusk. weirdly enough, with the studies, 2 distinctly different styles are simultaneously emerging. one has more realistic, or at least scenic images with everything split up into small cells (like this one: http://blue-fusion.deviantart.com/art/Masque-Back-65617034 - actually this is the planned back design), the second one has a more abstract, discorporated feel to it. the images attached show:

a. the high priestess (in the second style) with a hopefully vintage art nouveau look

b. strength (second style) with a "cofeeshop funk" feel.

c. high priestess (second style) plain black and white line art.

i'm seriously in a rut. while it would be good to develop both styles, that would take a while!

Attachments

• 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 145
  • small_strength.jpg
    small_strength.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 136
  • bnw_card_template.jpg
    bnw_card_template.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 128

frelkins

These are really fantastic, Lyn. The Strength card reminds me less of a coffeeshop and more of the Max Brenner chocolate store in the Makati district, in Greenbelt 3, I think it is not far from the Ayala Museum. The colors to me seem very Filipino, very modern, urbane. The style is kinda art-nouvea-y but also a little more modern too. Can't wait til you get started on this project! :)

Chronata

hulglugglug,...

That would be the sound of me drooling all over my keyboard...

OMG! Lynard...these images are absolutely stunning!

Stunning...

I really love the art nouveau inspirations in them!
Of course I do!

All the little pieces...all the little lines, and forms and shapes, are just incredible...
but more than just the style...it's the MOOD that they invoke...richness, and warmth, with a hint of vintage Mucha posters, and Arts and Crafts style stained glass...and Northwest American totems...and... and...

Oh...if you decide to develop this style into a full deck...

what an amazing masterpiece you would have!

edited to add...oh...I really love the Masque card back as well! I think because it reminds me so much of the original designs you had for this deck (which I still adore, by the way...)
I don't think the two styles are really that disimilar...in fact they blend together so nicely.
I think because they both make feel the same way.