Do any cards scare you?

TheLovers2

Acadia said:
I've seen a ton of decks, and a ton of different versions of each card, and I have to say I've never been creeped out by a deck.

Then my mother got me The Vision Tarot. To this day, it's the only deck that makes me supremely uncomfortable. She bought it somewhere in New Orleans, and I don't know, it just bothers me. It's a dark deck, it strikes me that it's been in a dark, negative place for awhile. I've tried using it, I had no real luck in it. It has no desire to form any sort of attachment to me, and it has less interest in doing readings. Even now, I pulled it from my shelf and flipped through it, my left side immediately cramped up and started to hurt.

I don't know, that deck has no interest in doing anything but being left alone. I don't use it, I don't even see it that much. That's fine with me.
Arcadia:
It's not meant to be funny, but, your last few sentences re: the deck having no desire to form an attachment with you and everything after that for some reason just made me laugh. You sound like you are so "through with that deck," esp., " . . . that deck has no interest in doing anything but being left alone. I don't use it, I don't even see it that much. That's fine with me." That's when I started laughing. Why do you even keep it? :D
Little Buddha said:
Catlin

Can you explain a little bit more about the Voodoo deck?

For someone that has little to know knowledge but is kind of attracted and fearful of the images at the same time.

Would it be a bad idea to pick this deck up?

Any ideas or suggestions?

LB
Little Buddha:

My name is not Catlin, obviously, but, I'm giving you my opinion on this. In answer to your question, re: "Any ideas or suggestions?" I have this to say, YEAH, DON'T GET IT. THAT'S MY SUGGESTION. I have read your posts in this Thread re: the NOVT and I really feel that you should pass on this one. I agree with someone else (I forget who) in this Thread who said something akin to "follow your gut/instinct." Over and again, you are extremely uncomfortable with this deck (even to the point of removing the scans you downloaded). Come on, LB, what does it take? :D Of course, the decision to buy or not is up to you, HOWEVER, having said that, I think you're getting pretty clear signals this ain't for you. It's interesting that you do not want to pay attention to that and it seems that the reason is because it "intrigues you." Flirting with something that gives you the distinct willies.

I think one can still be "courted," or "seduced," by something/someone that isn't right for you; a kind of temptation can still be present, so I can understand that you feel this "attraction," but, my question is, "Is this "attraction," going to be good for you?" Hmmm. Just think carefully before jumping into this and buying the deck. Consider that it is making quite a few people uncomfortable (not just you) and I don't think I've ever seen so many people on ATF agree about something creeping them out.

I glanced at your 3 scans and while I immediately felt uncomfortable, I don't know if it was due to the scans themselves or what I had read prior to viewing them. (Also, I had a very slight funny feeling in the very beginning with the 1st scan, that my computer was going to act up in some way when I did look at them - that didn't happen - but, then I went on to read that it did happen to a couple people viewing.) Again, I had that feeling when I viewed the scans which was before I read their posts. I thought that was interesting; it was a quick thought to this effect, but, like I said, nothing like that happened. Now, considering my belief system, I did something that some Christians do sometimes - a protective, shielding measure where we "plead the Blood of Jesus" over something, so I spoke that with each scan as I was looking.

I ALREADY knew that I had ZILCH interest in this deck based on the name, as well as having looked at some scans on AT, previously. That was enough for me. One other thing, I could not see the scans very well because my computer screen shows everything darker and those scans are already dark. Bottom line is, of course, I'm not with this deck, but, I had to put in my .75 cents worth re: you getting it.

Lastly, consider that Catlin is fine with the deck and very comfortable using it, but, that does not mean that she can make it a right deck for you. You are you. If you do buy it - I hope not - but, I will be checking on you and any postings re: your feelings/experiences.

Blessings,

TL2 :TLOVE

Little Baron

Hi and thanks very much for your detailed points.

As far as things go, I am not getting the deck.

I have held it. I didn't feel freaked out by it but I didn't feel particularly comfortable either. I felt indifferent, I suppose you can say, even though my heartbeat had accelerated at the prospect of holding it. I hadn't antisipated it being in the shop and shocked myself (just a little, since I constantly spontaneously do stuff I shouldn't) by asking to look through it.

I am curious.

I do like the art.

But it does still bother me. Having it in my house, learning it and what seems to be a lack of balance.

But there are other reasons why I didn't buy it.

It has scenic pips.

The names of the cards are not obvious to traditional tarot. Would have to keep looking them up and translating.

It would mean learning a new system.

I am enjoying the Marseille and 1jj Swiss and what I am getting from them (with no books except my journal) at the moment and I don't need any interferance.

So, it is not right for now .. but you never know. One day, maybe. When I have exausted my Marseille (I doubt that will ever happen).

LB

TheLovers2

Ross G Caldwell said:
LOL - you have to do what you have to do! Look at me - a silly old tarot deck sealed in a small box for 13 years!

Yes, I looked at them, felt the old power, a little. Thankfully nothing as much as real cards in real time.

It depends on the path, I guess.

Ross G:

Now, what is going on with you? :D A deck sealed in a box for 13 YEARS? I'm sure I'm not the only one wondering about that one. In another post, you say something to the effect that you may open it one day "when you don't care what happens." What's up with that? You won't care what happens? Yet, the feeling of that statement is that you think, possibly, something not too awfully good may happen and that's me putting it mildly.

I've heard of people working on a bad marriage or relationship for 13 yrs., hoping for a change, but, this is way deep. You haven't been working . . . ahem . . . with this deck, so there is no real relationship, so to speak, and you aren't comfortable having one YET. It's been 13 years.

Ross, darling, are you in denial? :D Between you and LB, I just don't know . . . honestly . . . :D

Oh, yeah and didn't you say that you had spent some time with it in the past and yucky things occurred and that's how it ended up sealed in the box to begin with? My goodness - and that's just my opinion, too. :)

Nocturnal Lure

Baphomet

Well,

Odd thing is, I actually was looking for something a bit more dark, or scary if you will. I find many decks too "reader friendly". Some aspects of life suck, some aspects of life should freak you out, this should also be reflected in the cards... nobodies world is "all peachy".

So I got myself the Akron/ Giger Baphomet tarot, also because I am a big Giger fan.

The pictures (though well known for the fans) are dark, gloomy and sometimes just plain nasty.

But damn the Horned God, all I get are possitive, mild and friendly readings from it.

I am actually looking for something dark and sinister, I need something dark and sinister, not for everyday use, but for certain ocassions. Darkness is a part of life, I want it to have it's place in Tarot as well, but somehow I cannot get any card, nor any deck to be anything but peachy, there's always a possitive sidenote.

So, if anyone knows a deck that scares the hell out of you, that seems to scream hell and damnation, fire and brimstone.... let me know.

(for the rest I am a relatively sane and allround friendly guy :D)

Little Baron

Hi NL

I have heard of this one deck ..

Not sure if it is available though ..

Right now, it has been sealed in a box beneath four metres of parcel tape, a couple of chains and an alarm system for the last thirteen years .. but you never know. Might just be the one for you.

Whether we build things up or not, I wouldn't want to be the one that opned the box. You never know, Ross, when you do finally open the it, there might be a little note where the deck once was, reading 'Gone to lunch'.

But seriously, I think the Voodoo is dark, in comparison to a lot of decks out there. But I also think, that used properly and respected, it would be fine. Of course, I think all decks should be respected, regardless of the nature of their theme.

Also, NL, maybe the darker decks come in form of one that seems fluffy on the surface. It might be a lighter one that makes te furniture move. Not all things are as squeaky-clean as they seem.

LB

Nocturnal Lure

Damn that parcel tape....

Hahahaha,

Yeah in a Ninth gate, Necromomicon sort of way the sinister has it's appeal. But you are certainly right that even a fluffy, sweet deck may hold a deeper and perhaps darker essence in it's time.

I treat every deck with respect regardless of it's theme, and it may very well be the general interpretation that often incorporates a positive side to every reading that counterbalances the occasional "warning". But still...

Thrill rides, horror movies, country and western songs... they appeal to a certain niche in the human mind, a specific place in our psyche that has a use for the "bad" and not just for entertainment vallue, but for counterweight, for remembering the silver cloud's dark lining.

Alas, I do not have the voodoo deck, which I might actually apreceate a lot, but the Baphomet Tarot is by far the most sinister deck I have come across yet and it doesn't satisfy the need for darkness.

I am not in favour of evil and the whole dark and gloomy thing persé, but I feel it is important to explore that part of ourselves, to know where and what it is, if only to give it it's place so it won't fester and come out when we don't want it. Surpressing your darkside often leads to it comming out. Fot this reason I want a deck that triggers that part of the mind.

Now I have seen people meddling with things like the hollywood inspired serial killer theme, the dark zodiac and God knows what (or perhaps he doesn't), but that often has a very high "poser, look how tough and cool I am" rating. I am looking for a plcae where death is terrifying and the tower gives no hope, where you break out in a sweat for the devil.

Mabye it is just a matter of interpretation, hell even a Hello Kitty deck might be able to give you the creeps if the readings work out that way. But with Tarot the imagery and even the side notes of the designer are such a big influence on how the cards might work (why bother designing such deck if it doesn't set a certain "tone") I feel my quest or the ideal and ultimate "dark" deck is far from over, though Baphomet was an interesting step in the right direction.

Acadia

TheLovers2 said:
Arcadia:
It's not meant to be funny, but, your last few sentences re: the deck having no desire to form an attachment with you and everything after that for some reason just made me laugh. You sound like you are so "through with that deck," esp., " . . . that deck has no interest in doing anything but being left alone. I don't use it, I don't even see it that much. That's fine with me." That's when I started laughing. Why do you even keep it? :D

Because I never get rid of decks, and who knows, one day it'll change or I'll change to a point where I can use it. :)

little_redfox

deanres said:
i can't imagine having all those 10 Swords stuck in my back
I dont like the 10 of swords either in any deck, ive had it come up a few times when ive really hurt my back and had to spent a fortune on the osteopath lol - so when i see it i immediately tense up.
I hadnt seen that New orleans voodoo tarot before it does look kinda creepy to me tho too. Raw and dark, but only from the scans - maybe creepy enough to put me off buying at atm (but the im a newbie so who knows in 5 years time lol).
xx

TheLovers2

Nocturnal Lure:

Since your Baphomet doesn't quite do the trick that you want it to, why not get the NOVT. I certainly wouldn't recommend it to anyone, but, based upon what you say in your post (which personally I can't relate to, but, that's just me) it sounds like the deck for you. Let us know if you get it and if and how it appeals to you, if you do. It seems to me that if "really, really dark" is what you want, it might just take you there.

MercyMe

Nocturnal Lure said:
But damn the Horned God, all I get are possitive, mild and friendly readings from it.

LOL! :D This exact thing happened to me with the Thoth. I had done some online generated readings w/ the deck and it always seemed kind of blunt to the point of being nasty at times, so when I got my own I was ready... I said give it to me, all of it, I want to hear the unvarnished truth -- and Thoth LOVED me, gave me smiles and giggles and little fairy tinkerbells! I did a reading for a friend just then to test it out and ohhhh, it was ugly. Even the Princess of Cups was vile to her.

Then again, I've been known to make the Fey spit epithets in my specific direction while the somber folks in the Hudes speak soothingly to me, and the Haindl, while not dark itself, often packs a deep blow.

My advice is...a dark reading can be had with almost any deck. It all depends on the relationship between the deck and reader what may come forth.