Reading for others without consent

Seafra

Niti, I really appreciate where you are coming from. While it is more than fantastic to have a forum to ask questions and openly discuss tarot ethics, in the end we are all left to stand in our own truth and read in the manner we each find most comfortable.

I've read many, many times for people without their consent. It was never for oneupmanship (is tht one word?!) but just to sort out the flavor of a situation that was close to home. I'd consider doing it on behalf of friends, but only a very few, very trusted friends. None thus far have asked.

I see no problem at all with doing a tandem reading from an exchange thread. What you would do if you found a large problem in that reading -- well, there's a dilemma and you might want to decide how to handle prior to trying this.

I ran across one site where readings for teams and individual players for the following week's football games are posted! The poster extropolates the strengths/weaknesses of offense and defense and does individual readings for key players. I think that's a hoot!

Regarding face-to-face readings - just last week I did one that I'd have preferred to phone or email in. Her three cards were (I forget the order) 8 SW RX, 5 SW RX, 3 SW RX and surprise, surprise she argued with me about every point. I finally had to be rude and tell her it wasn't a lecture, it was a card reading and ended up emailing it. (surprise, surprise she apologized soon after, shades of 5 SW RX LOL) I doubt I will do any more face-to-face readings for this woman.

Blessings - Seafra

Grizabella

Keigh said:
I try not to do it. It's hard. Here's how I handle it when querents ask about their spouse, significant other, or ex...I try to refocus the question - for example:
What does Querent need to know about X's feelings for her. - that's one way to refocus the question. I try to bring it back to being "about the querent" - especially since that's the person whose energy I feel I am accessing.

I don't see how you can consider this is keeping the focus on the querent and not "reading about the absent party". If you're reading about "X's feelings for her", then you're reading about X. We don't live in a vacuum and we have to include 3rd parties in our readings.

Seafra

If you think about it, how many times have 3rd parties shown up uninvited? His/her spouse is having an affair and BANG third party shows up. Third party didn't give permission to the discovery. Doubtful 2nd party did, either.

Family members can dance into your personal readings without giving permission. Your boss, your co-worker, etc.

Solitaire's words echo truth - we don't live in a vacuum. We can choose the path of the I Ching's "superior man" and that is what I try to do.

Blessings - Seafra

mingbop

I think it's what you do with the knowledge you got from the reading that matters.
If you plaster it on a noticeboard outside the town hall or tell all the person's workmates then that's evil ! If you keep very very quiet and act on it yoruself then that's ok.... ie if you found them down or ill and took steps to cheer them up , then that's good, and part of your responsibilities as a friend.

All Is One

This is a good topic. Of all the readings I've ever been asked to do, far far more than half are asking me to do a total reading on the significant other in the questioner's life. I have also, as was stated earlier in the thread, tried to bring the focus back to the questioner, but in the end there are two different topics. You can do a reading on an absent SO for a Q. without tapping into anything too personal or too far out there ...in my opinion...but it gets to be a pretty vague reading.

Then there is the instance when you suddenly feel compelled to cast a reading on, for instance, your sister who lives across the country.

Those are both instances where you are in some way directly connected, even if it's a stretch.

I have no experience reading for anyone in an intense, centered way, who was not present with me. My reading casts for my sister are a whim directed from some need of my own and the reading results always throw it right back in my lap.

gregory

Niti said:
What if, instead, the person told you after the fact?

You are sitting down to tea one day with your friend, telling him your latest relationship/career endeavors...and a slightly knowing look comes in his eyes, with a smug sort of smile.

"What?" you say, wondering what could possibly cause that reaction.

"Oh...well, uhh...I did this tarot reading about [insert said situation here] a couple of months ago, and...it all makes sense now! I was right!"

He's not telling you what to do. He never tried to influence your actions. He never would have even told you, but you asked. How would you feel about it?
I would be slightly creeped actually. Which is odd, in someone who reads.... :confused: But that is just gut feeling. I think it would feel kind of intrusive. I think I would keep my mouth shut if I'd done it (and control the knowing glances too !!!)

Mingbop's right in that what matters is what you DO with what you get.

I think the circles are fair game here; they ARE for learning. (Though I would never post my "results", just compare them with what the circle reader said and the feedback they got. I think perhaps the private ones aren't, though I might on occasion OFFER to do a reading for someone I'd seen readings on (indeed, I have...) If they refused - fine.

But as I almost never read outside circles, what do I know.....? If I read for money and badly needed it....

I would NOT do one of those "Is my spouse cheating ?" ones. That is specifically about the other partner - like it or not. I would accept a question like "Is there something wrong in my relationship ?"

All Is One

Absolutely agree on the creepy feeling I would have in knowing someone had been doing readings about me. No matter if I thought they were a person with gifts, etc, or not.

I never attack questions with a yes or no answer...and "Is My Spouse Cheating?" is probably more than my system of tarot belief could answer.

Netzach

When I was first learning, I was doing name reading rather than Tarot, but the ethical principles are the same. I was taught that you must never read for someone without their permission UNLESS they were someone in the public eye . . . in which case they were fair game. So, when I started to learn Tarot, I did a lot of readings for politicians and actors and others whose progress I could follow by reading the news.

Azarial

I have always read for other people without thier knowledge. But I'm a nosy person! I think it's fine as long as you don't use the information to harm the person, and you don't make your findings public. As long as you keep it to yourself, there is no harm. The harm comes in only when you use the information to damage another.

sharpchick

Niti, you can use any reading I've posted about myself for your study.

And I love your questions in this thread.