Self-Study Suggestions (Jung, Symbolism, Etc.)

stone_lotus

In the next few months I'm going to be having a few hours of spare time every week in my office, and I'd like to spend it doing something more constructive than surfing the Internet, which was my first instinct. ; )

I'm a novice tarot reader and have been studying a lot lately, so I thought a more formal stretch of self-study, or even an online course, would be in order. I do very well with structured things, deadlines, etc. (read: not a huge self-starter; prone to procrastination if left to own devices).

I've been interested for a while in Jung and how his theories of archetypes relate to the tarot. Also interested in the symbolism of the tarot (RWS).

Any recommendations on courses, self-study programs, etc. that you've had success with? A book would work too probably, as long as there were clear assignments/exercises to do and a sense of progression through to some sort of end.

Thanks very much!

AJ

my deeper understanding and study has come about as a side effect of my card of the day I blog each morning. I so seldom see a card the way keyword readers do, and yet by the end of my post I can see it very clearly. (link is under my username)

Try writing about the Moon or 4 of swords 25 times..you will grow are a tarotist, but no telling where that growth will lead you.

I also have a private blog on the Thoth as a specific study. I spent three months last year highballing through the thoth, and now go back and add to each card when using a thoth or thothy deck. Amazing learning experience.

Zephyros

Much of the symbolism is Kabbalistic, and that's not as difficult as many people imagine. If you've got the time, I would suggest that, as it adds an amazing amount of layers to every card. A few basic definitions and understanding of the basic mechanics and you're on your way. I learned it in a month, with about an hour or two a day. There's lots of information online, but for a structured approach I would suggest using The Chicken Qabalah of Rabbi Lamed Ben Clifford: Dilettante's Guide to What You Do and Do Not Need to Know to Become a Qabalist bu Lon Milo DuQuette. It's written in a very easy to use, friendly, approachable fashion.

moon_light

Tarot Wisdom by Rachel Pollack was very helpful to me in moving from LWB meanings to a more intermediate understanding. She covers many areas (numerology, Kabbala, astrology, mythology, etc.), but not in overwhelming detail. Just enough to get a good sense of it. It doesn't have tons of exercises, but there is a spread for each major after the section on it. I found those spreads helpful in understanding both myself and the cards.

stone_lotus

my deeper understanding and study has come about as a side effect of my card of the day I blog each morning. I so seldom see a card the way keyword readers do, and yet by the end of my post I can see it very clearly. (link is under my username)

Great suggestion AJ and thanks for the link -- bookmarked! I've been meaning to do something in the form of a daily habit, such as a card of the day, and a blog would be a helpful way of maintaining accountability with that. Cool cool. (Did a draw this a.m. inspired by your suggestion, actually -- it was the Chariot, and I was initially disappointed because I'd just done extensive work with this card 3 or 4 days ago -- then as I devoted 20 minutes to writing about it, I was AMAZED at all the new stuff that came up!!)

Much of the symbolism is Kabbalistic, and that's not as difficult as many people imagine. If you've got the time, I would suggest that, as it adds an amazing amount of layers to every card. A few basic definitions and understanding of the basic mechanics and you're on your way. I learned it in a month, with about an hour or two a day. There's lots of information online, but for a structured approach I would suggest using The Chicken Qabalah of Rabbi Lamed Ben Clifford: Dilettante's Guide to What You Do and Do Not Need to Know to Become a Qabalist bu Lon Milo DuQuette. It's written in a very easy to use, friendly, approachable fashion.

Thanks for this, closrapexa!! I confess to having avoided much study of the Kabbala up to this stage because the numbers seem so overwhelming to me. It's good to hear that you feel it's not as difficult as people think, ha ha. You've inspired me to give it a go and I'll look into this book.

Tarot Wisdom by Rachel Pollack was very helpful to me in moving from LWB meanings to a more intermediate understanding. She covers many areas (numerology, Kabbala, astrology, mythology, etc.), but not in overwhelming detail. Just enough to get a good sense of it. It doesn't have tons of exercises, but there is a spread for each major after the section on it. I found those spreads helpful in understanding both myself and the cards.

Oooh, yes I agree completely moon_light -- I already have this book! I like the fact that it's so "bite-sized", if that makes sense -- that she gives a taste of all these wonderful details, and then I can use the bits that resonate to do further research. I've also quite enjoyed the spreads, and the chapter on Court Cards was so, so, incredibly helpful, I just wanted to jump up and down and shake her hand.