Do you read with vintage tarot decks?

PathWalker

I use my vintage decks, but I can't riffle shuffle anyway :)

What I often do is deal the deck out into piles, sometimes 7 piles but I'm not worried about the numer. But doing that mixes them in a different way. Then I overhand shuffle. Then I feel the cards have had a good mix up. If I have no space for that I might move them '1 card to the front of the pile, 1 card to the back' all the way through the pack, then overhand shuffle.

Anything that changes the way they were, and makes them feel better mixed.

But ultimately, they belong to you, you can do whatever you want with them. And if you couldn't bear to be without a deck like that, make sure you have a back up.

Enjoy
Pathwalker

Debra

I use my Rider Pam B, and other of my old decks too. I mean, why not? I bought them to enjoy and reading with them is great.

I'm hung up on their idea that le fanu has a backup Thomson Leng.

Le Fanu

I'm hung up on their idea that le fanu has a backup Thomson Leng.
You know I bought another one - remember you copied your Death card for me? - and that was also missing a Death card - aaargh! However, I got another incomplete one which had the Death card but a few others missing - basically I have a complete one, my back up (which has your Death card in) and a complete one. Plus a random pile of spares.

Closrapexa asks what vintage is and I'd say that if you go on ebay you'll see that vintage was about two weeks ago. iPhone 5 is now vintage the way things are going.

For me, vintage is 70s backwards but then I'm mid-40s. The 80s is just so recent. But ask anyone slightly older then me and they'll say the 70s was recent. Even the most recent Royal Fez Moroccan must be mid-70s. I thought it was published in 1975 by US Games and that edition was still around early 80s.

Interesting theory by Laura about the rubber band creating a sort of hourglass shape to my old RWS. I'd assumed it was gripping when shuffling but it may well be a rubber band chafing the edge of the cards.

Sulis

Yes, I read with my vintage Hoi Polloi Tarot as it's one of my favourite decks and is my 'RWS style' deck of choice.
I also read with a vintage RWS blue box Rider deck from the '70s.
I'm not sure if I'd use a very, very old deck but then I don't have any of those.

swedishfish612

I read with my vintage decks. I have two regular RWS (had to have a backup!), a University Press RWS, an Albano-Waite RWS, a Hoi Polloi and a Morgan Greer. I riffle shuffle my modern decks, but not my vintage ones. I can't stop myself from riffle shuffling. It feels so good! lol

nisaba

vintage RWS blue box Rider deck from the '70s.

<cackle> I was doing the whole Tarot thing in the 1970s - that's not vintage, that's contemporary!

Sulis

<cackle> I was doing the whole Tarot thing in the 1970s - that's not vintage, that's contemporary!

I agree with you but I think people even class things from the '80s as vintage these days ;).

I guess we're just getting old Nisaba (old and wise that is ;)).