The Wheel of the Year Tarot (new LoS deck)

Aerin

Whuh hey :D

This reminds me of the Buffy/Spike lust thing that Rachel Pollack was going to use for the Devil in the cancelled Buffy deck.

Eyebright

cardlady22 said:
I'd love to know about the Sabbat cards. (to tide me over until I get one)

Can you get a photo or scan of the rune inscription?

I don't have a scanner but I will try to get over to a friends house to use their's so I can put up the inscription!

However I can help with which cards are assigned to which Sabbats. From the LWB:

Imbolc- numeric cards of the Chalices

Ostara- Court cards of the Chalices

Beltane- Numeric cards of Wands

Litha - Court cards of Wands

Lughnasadh- Numeric cards of Pentacles

Mabon - Court cards of Pentacles

Samhaim- numeric cards of swords

Yule - court cards of swords

You can see how they tie in to each sabbat, for example you can see the yule log burning in the king of swords. Its a nice little concept. From looking at the cards however you can see how some of the Majors also depict sabbats. For example Death to me is set on Samhaim night :)

ann823

I liked the looks of this deck but after looking at more of the pictures on alida I have trouble with at least the meaning of one card. How did they get three girls about to clobber a newly hatched bird (the one in the middle looks particularly gleeful)as anything like a traditional 3 of cups meaning? Or is it not supposed to be at all traditional?

Eyebright

ann823 said:
I liked the looks of this deck but after looking at more of the pictures on alida I have trouble with at least the meaning of one card. How did they get three girls about to clobber a newly hatched bird (the one in the middle looks particularly gleeful)as anything like a traditional 3 of cups meaning? Or is it not supposed to be at all traditional?

Well I don't think they are about to clobber the chick LOL!! In the card they are sat watching it hatch, drinking from chalices/ cups celebrating its birth. So to me the card sticks closely to the traditional meaning

Oink

ann823 said:
How did they get three girls about to clobber a newly hatched bird (the one in the middle looks particularly gleeful)as anything like a traditional 3 of cups meaning? Or is it not supposed to be at all traditional?
I don't know what they were going for there (maybe raising a toast to celebrate its birth?), but you weren't kidding - that image is totally creepy!

Link to the image:
3 of Cups

ann823

When you raise a cup for a toast you raise it in front, raising it in back like that really looks like the hatchling is about to get whalloped. I showed the picture to a non tarot person and asked them what was happening in the picture. They said "Those girls are going to brain that bird." If they were going for a traditional meaning with that card I think they missed.

Aerin

ann823 said:
When you raise a cup for a toast you raise it in front, raising it in back like that really looks like the hatchling is about to get whalloped. I showed the picture to a non tarot person and asked them what was happening in the picture. They said "Those girls are going to brain that bird." If they were going for a traditional meaning with that card I think they missed.

It's like we're looking at two different cards.

To me they are celebrating the arrival.

I'm with Eyebright.

Of course if you want to see it in the other way then you can - celebrating the arrival of their dinner.

tarotcognito

ann823 said:
My reaction:
"OMG!! Those kids are gonna - no, wait. They're kids, they look happy. They're probably not gonna kill that little bird."

Probably. ;)

Eyebright

Aerin said:
Of course if you want to see it in the other way then you can - celebrating the arrival of their dinner.

That made me laugh Aerin. I like your thinking! Thats definitely another way of looking at it, though to me they still look like they are happy the chick has been born :D