Best decks for connecting cards, 'story' & unity in a reading

minotaur

Basically, look at each card as a plot point in a story, and figure out the narrative that goes between. Most of a tarot reading is like the white space between panels in a comic - you fill in the action that happens there, even though you don't directly see it.

That is a very nice way to look at a reading. Thank you.

Thoughtful

l have just acquired the Hanson-Roberts tarot and would recommend it for readings, as you can follow the storyline so easily due the expressive features on the faces and the colourful nature of the images.

euripides

I think it really depends on what you're looking for to tie together the threads of your 'story'. Personally, I look at the cards and find the meaning that gets me from point A to B, so to speak.

Basically, look at each card as a plot point in a story, and figure out the narrative that goes between. Most of a tarot reading is like the white space between panels in a comic - you fill in the action that happens there, even though you don't directly see it.

agreeing with minotaur, this is a really lovely and thought-provoking perspective.

Thanks for the Hanson-Roberts suggestion, Thoughtful. It's not a deck I'm keen on - I don't really like childlike designs - but I'm sure it will suit many others who might read the thread. It seems like a popular deck.

I just did a reading with Ciro's Gilded today, and I felt there was quite a nice connection between the card. I'll be interested to see how it goes when I have more time to devote to it.

Shanachie05

l have just acquired the Hanson-Roberts tarot and would recommend it for readings, as you can follow the storyline so easily due the expressive features on the faces and the colourful nature of the images.

The Hanson-Roberts has been my go-to for many years now. It is enough of a staple that when the first deck got soaked in the rain, I laid them out to dry and went and bought another copy. Lost that copy and bought a third copy. Then found the pocket version and bought that, so I could take it everywhere with me.

I have since found the rain-soaked deck and both full sized copies in addition to rediscovering the pocket version, so now have four of the same deck!
Yes, I have a problem.

Thoughtful

That's no problem though, they have all come home again perhaps a bit battered and weary.

After using the Thoth and Roots of Asia for so long l felt in need of something lighter to use for a while, any excuse to buy a new deck :laugh:
This deck has always attracted me, it was very reasonably priced to. Due to the lovely colouring and the sweet expressive faces l thought what the heck l will buy it. It has proved to be a delight to use and l connected with it immediately. My daughter loves it, so she now has two favourites for me to give her readings with, the other being The Pagan Cats.