Tarot and Nudity

greatdane

I've been reading about different decks and nudity in them. Wanted to post regarding nudity and tarot in general.

Lived in NY and LA, been to many art shows and museums, appreciate controversial art, had a good friend who was a nude model for artists, have and had many friends that are artists and been to nude theater more than once, so think it's safe to say, I don't have an issue with nudity in art. The human body is a work of art.

I have noticed that even though I appreciate art that contains nudity in paintings or sculpture and other forms, there are times I don't appreciate overt nudity in all decks. Often HOW the nudity is done on a deck determines whether or not it appeals to me as a reading deck. Also the TYPE of reading I may be doing can determine whether a deck with more nudity fits, like romantic relationship readings.

I know there is room for various tastes in tarot, and I respect people's tastes to read with whatever type of deck best works for them. I do think often people who may not prefer overt nudity in decks are seen as somehow puritanical or that they may object to nudityin general, which often isn't the case, at least from my perspective.

Thoughts ATers? Prefer decks with "softer" nudity more of the time or does really explicit nudity lend more to your readings? If you don't prefer a lot of overt nudity in a lot of decks, is it because you don't prefer nude art in general?

Glitterbird

I don't consider myself a prude, but there are decks I wouldn't want because the nudity is in your face and I think it is distracting (IMO) to do a reading (I'm easily distracted }) )
Some are well done and tasteful and don't bother me and wouldn't distract me at all, But there are a some - Robin wood for one and the Secret is another that I can think of, off the top of my head, that just turn me off.

MagsStardustBlack

I don't have a problem at all with nudity in decks as long as it was creative, taistfull and beautifull - i don't like vulgarity. I went to Art College, and i drew nude models myself, there is alot of nude Art that i love love love. Even the artwork in the book of the Kama Sutra i find is gorgous. But the only issue i may have is that depending how explicit, my mind may wonder and studying/reading the deck would no longer be my priority shall we say!

xxMags

GryffinSong

I'm an artist and have drawn and painted nude models from life. I don't consider myself a prude. But I generally don't care for nudity in my tarot/oracle decks. Partly its because its often done in what I'd call bad taste. If a deck contains a bunch of beautiful young things with fake-looking boobies, I'm turned off by it. My feminist hackles rise up and I feel as if it doesn't honor real women.

And if the images are the least bit erotic I find that it colors the various interpretations I might see in a card.

That said, some limited nudity is ok as long as its tastefully or abstractly done, and if it depicts a variety of people. Perfect plastic-looking people detract for me.

Lillie

It don't bother me.

What decks were you thinking of, GD?

Sometimes genitalia is funny though.
Especially naked blokes with all the kit and caboodle dangling there.

I can't take a tarot reading seriously when I'm thinking 'look at the dick on that'.

Just knockers seems to be traditional, but pants off can be a bit distracting, often in an amusing way, like the 'banana' on the Robin wood.

Or a 'Good god man! put your trousers back on' way in that card from the World Spirit.

But apart from the odd snigger (Yes, I am that childish) nudity on tarot cards don't bother me.

GryffinSong

A humorous reaction here. Lillie, I'm reminded of your frog deck. Horrors, almost all of them are nude!!! LOL

I also wanted to add a reaction I had last night to my Tarot of the Trance. I love the vibrancy and feel of these cards. But after I've looked at a few of the pointy, up-curved, sticking out in all directions breasts, I'm a little frazzled. Maybe because I'm a breast cancer survivor and don't have any anymore, but I just want them to put them away. The odd shapes make me think of deformity there, which is a bit too close for comfort. I guess that's the deck I should use when dealing with feelings around cancer. :\

bhakti

I have been called many things, but a prude is not one of them! With that said, I am particular about nudity in my decks. I like tasteful, beautiful and applicable. For me, the nudity needs to be in the context of the deck/card. Nudity for the sake of nudity doesn't assist me in my interpretation of the card's meaning, but that is just me. I have a friend who is a professional reader and looooves erotic tarot decks. I mean the reeeeallly dirty ones}) I do get a hoot out of browsing her decks. Reading with them doesn't work for me, however.

bhakti

GryffinSong said:
A humorous reaction here. Lillie, I'm reminded of your frog deck. Horrors, almost all of them are nude!!! LOL

I also wanted to add a reaction I had last night to my Tarot of the Trance. I love the vibrancy and feel of these cards. But after I've looked at a few of the pointy, up-curved, sticking out in all directions breasts, I'm a little frazzled. Maybe because I'm a breast cancer survivor and don't have any anymore, but I just want them to put them away. The odd shapes make me think of deformity there, which is a bit too close for comfort. I guess that's the deck I should use when dealing with feelings around cancer. :\

GryffinSong, Thank you for sharing this post. I am pretty sure that I would have the same reaction as you to the pointy, up-curved breasts. For me, because I breastfed three children and mine don't do that anymore!LOL I'm lucky to keep them off the pavement!:bugeyed: Seriously though, this is a very powerful post for the insight that you provided. Makes me think that perhaps images that we have strong negetive reactions to can teach us the most. Oh no, does this mean I will be in the market for a dirty deck?!LOL

Blessings to you.

MagsStardustBlack

Lillie said:
Or a 'Good god man! put your trousers back on' way in that card from the World Spirit.

Which card in World Spirit Lillie? I am awaiting this deck, so excited about this deck. xMags

MagsStardustBlack

GryffinSong said:
Partly its because its often done in what I'd call bad taste. If a deck contains a bunch of beautiful young things with fake-looking boobies, I'm turned off by it. My feminist hackles rise up and I feel as if it doesn't honor real women.

I respect your view GryffinSong but i really don't mind the look you reffer to. I have had a child, had an Emergancy C Section and also breast fed so am not the way i used to be.

I think the variety of every kind of womans shapes are beautifull, but i do like to see slim and pert figures, maybe because i would like to be that way myself again on some level. But i do find these 'pre-baby type' bodies nicer to look at.