Tarot and Nudity

strings of life

Tarot and nudity? Embrace it, just like anything else, or just don't buy a deck that has a lot of it if you aren't comfortable. It's that simple.

Aerin

aurarcana said:
Tarot and nudity? Embrace it, just like anything else, or just don't buy a deck that has a lot of it if you aren't comfortable. It's that simple.

See, I don't think it is that simple - sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It isn't a case of not being comfortable, it's more a case of whether it leaps out and hits me on the nose. Which, in the case of some decks, could be unpleasant ;)

I think it will be different for different people with the same deck.

Take Brian Williams Renaissance Tarot and the second review here http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/renaissance/review.shtml
My head foregrounded on the myths, not the dangly bits.

greatdane

Same Decks, Different Perspectives

To me, it's just about a preference, not whether we should or shouldn't embrace all nudity in every deck or just not get certain decks. There are all kinds of options, just like with ANY OTHER type of deck. Sometimes it's not just even about oooh I don't like that, but if something (nudity, or color, or even a certain type of backdrop) is really dominant, it can be distracting on certain types of readings. If a deck had tons of red splashed all over it or loud borders, I could find that just as, or more, distracting. To me it's whether one prefers reading with certain decks with a lot of graphic nudity, a preference, not a moral dilemma.

emmsma

For me, its completely dependent on the deck. I have no trouble with the nekkid woman in the Strength card in the Wheel of Change deck, but the one in Secret Tarot bothers me.

Thats how you ended up with the deck, greatdane. :p

greatdane

LOL Emmsma

And I blinged it! LOVE the deck, but I thought it needed silver so.....there were only a handful of cards that got some clothing, but I blinged almost every card. That's what I mean, there are options. If we like a deck, but a card or two doesn't suit us personally, it's our deck, we're the one's reading with it, so we can tweak it!

SakuraFae

greatdane said:
Thoughts ATers? Prefer decks with "softer" nudity more of the time or does really explicit nudity lend more to your readings? If you don't prefer a lot of overt nudity in a lot of decks, is it because you don't prefer nude art in general?

I've often appreciated nude art, usually soft portraits, etc, nothing in-your-face with sexual content....not that there's anything wrong with that..just not my taste,

I feel much the same as bhakti.

Nudity isn't one of my first criteria for choosing a deck, it's an after thought for me. The decks I tend to buy are not chock-full of it and I don't think the little that are on the decks I like would sway me. It may however sway if I use them for readings for others though.

greatdane

SakuraFae

I noticed most decks have some nudity and I'm totally fine with it. It does seem nudity could present a problem when reading for others. Even if the querent is fine with nudity, I would think there are all kinds of factors that might lead them to pick certain decks over others. Regarding tarot and nudity, do people like yourself who read for others, keep any decks with much nudity available for their querents? Or do you not even keep any with much or graphic nudity available to a querent unless they've asked specifically? I think this is still very much on topic, as it is about tarot and nudity, so thought that would be interesting to get readers thoughts on.

gregory

I just - don't notice it ! The Priapo it's kind of hard to miss :cool: - but once you are reading - it really doesn't seem relevant.

greatdane

I get what you mean, Gregory

There are some decks it all just flows for me. I mean I know the image is nude, but it doesn't distract and just seems to work. Then there are some that seem more front and center.... I prefer nudity to bustiers and boots and the kind of vamp barbie wannabes tho. Not saying anything wrong with the kind of barbie goths, just not my style to read with. I think some nudity seems less over-sexualized than the fetish-looking decks. But again, lots of decks for lots of tastes and it's all so subjective.

The crowned one

gregory said:
I just - don't notice it ! The Priapo it's kind of hard to miss :cool: - but once you are reading - it really doesn't seem relevant.

unless you are reading about what type of sausage to have for lunch. :D