Decks you thought you just must have, then realize you don't connect with them...

Ulfdis

The Witches' Tarot by Ellen Cannon Reed really soured on me. I got rid of it fairly quickly. The Rohrig Tarot was... difficult. I'd be just barely on the verge of a stunning insight, and I'd suddenly think to myself, "Dude! That guy's head is made totally outta Hoo-hoos and Wee-wees!" Way too distracting for my short attention span, but some of those images are haunting, both lovely and harrowing.

Aura Wolf

Oh god yve, I was just thinking about this exact same thing. I just realized I hit 18 decks in my collection today and that doesn't count the one I just traded away (my first trade). This keeps happening, sometimes I realize it quickly, other times I realize it not until months later when I find I never use certain decks for reading. Now I'm thinking, my god, do I really need all these? Of course I don't. But I don't particularly like trading either; especially those decks I like, but don't use for readings...I want to keep, but is there a point? I make all my decks personalized tarot bags so it's like I put a part of myself into them even if I never use them, and I don't want to betray them. Ah, but they're just cards. Some I know I would never trade but I'm starting to get disheartened by all these decks I never use...I wish I knew what to do, or even better, I wish I didn't lust crazily over decks that I end up not connecting with...it's pointless.

Sophie

The Morgan-Greer.
I loved the colours and the borderless cards, but I never enjoyed reading with it, the exact thing that made it an impressive deck to look at I found distracting when stzudying and reading. In the end, I gave it away to a friend who does use it.

I am difficult to please with decks, and I don't own many, though I've been reading for 7 years. Last count was 4, so I guess I've reached some kind of stability in my life;)

darwinia

Dead Star said:
I'm starting to get disheartened by all these decks I never use...I wish I knew what to do, or even better, I wish I didn't lust crazily over decks that I end up not connecting with...it's pointless.

Understood.

I don't think it's pointless though. It's heartening to have a bit of art around to take out and look at now and then. Have you thought of using them in unconventional ways, not necessarily readings?

I have several I rarely use, but then I might explore them again for a time. I regret trading one deck, although I got a lovely deck in return, I wish I'd gone out and bought the new deck rather than trade my old one. Two other decks I traded and have no regrets over doing so.

The other 80 or so decks (not just tarot) are quite happy here and there is joy in taking one out I haven't seen for a while and looking through it. Maybe a keyword or colour or image with spark an idea or project.

I liked what Ulfdis says:
some of those images are haunting, both lovely and harrowing.

We are haunted. We are haunted because our minds like images, they enjoy processing and reflecting on images. I like to feed my mind what it likes.

fairyhedgehog

My first 'not click' was my second deck - the Matt Myers Art Nouveau. Gorgeous pictures, but useless for reading, meditating ... well for anything really.

I have also had pass through my hands:
Celtic (de Burgh)
Mythic
Shakespearian (beautiful tarot but didn't click)
Cosmic
Goddess

And I currently own but don't get on with:
Renaissance (Trevisan)
Arthurian Hallowquest
Aquarian

The Hallowquest was one that I really wanted for ages. The pictures of scenery are lovely, but there is too much gore for my taste and the Watcher at the Ford (I think it's called) is the worst depiction of old age I've seen.

The rest of my collection I like owning, even if I don't use them :)

Chronata

There is one that very readily springs to mind...but I am almost embarrased to admit it...

The Gilded Tarot.

I desperately wanted these cards. I absolutely fell head over heels in love with the images I saw on the internet.
It was a part of wish list forever.

Then I got to see the cards in real life, hold them in my hands and look through them...and it was this really huge disappointment for me.

Ok...disappointment is probably the wrong word...I was DEVESTATED!
It was like finding out there was no Santa Claus!

I just didn't like the cards...felt no connection to them at all.

Which is very strange because I still really love the images that are on my computer screen.

Maybe someday I will find my peace with the Gilded. I guess now is just not that time.

Sophie

Chronata said:
There is one that very readily springs to mind...but I am almost embarrased to admit it...

The Gilded Tarot.
Ok...disappointment is probably the wrong word...I was DEVESTATED!
It was like finding out there was no Santa Claus!

I just didn't like the cards...felt no connection to them at all.

Which is very strange because I still really love the images that are on my computer screen.

Oh, I'm sorry! It sounds really heartbreaking to have dreamed of something for so long only to find it was...just not that. I'm sure many people feel for you.

That's one reason I don't usually buy decks that I've only seen on the computer - I want to see and touch them, feel their energy. The only exception to that is the Tarot of Prague, where I played the fool, took a chance, and it worked. I love it. I love reading with it. The three other decks I own I all saw in shops and held first. Even that is no guarantee in the long run (Morgan-Greer!- and the Rider Waite, which I learnt with, but evetually abandoned completely for a multitude of reasons).

FantasyWorld

I just got Tarot of the Animal Lords and did a new deck spread and had no clue what it was telling me so it may be to early to tell but I'm thinking this deck and I are not going to connect.

I also just got Pagan Tarot-Gina Pace and have NO clue what some of those cards mean!!!

I'm not giving up on either of them just yet but it's not looking good so far...

Waterdancer

I don't really like the Gilded that much either. The mechanical elements in the pictures leave me cold and the cardstock feels so thin and unsubstantial. I really don't like many of the CGI decks for that reason, they seem too cold.

Another deck I have a hard time with is Legend the Arthurian Tarot. I don't know if it is my eyesight failing or what, but the different elements in the pictures are so hard to discern because the pastel coloring all blends together. I wish the colors were bolder and more defined.

I just got the Lo Scarabeo Secret Tarot in the mail and I am pretty disappointed with most of the pip cards.

WolfSpirit

fairyhedgehog said:
The Hallowquest was one that I really wanted for ages. The pictures of scenery are lovely, but there is too much gore for my taste and the Watcher at the Ford (I think it's called) is the worst depiction of old age I've seen.

I think the Watcher at the Ford is absolutely FRIGHTENING ! In contrast, I find some of the cards very calming, which is why I am still glad to have the deck, even though it was a surprise: I got it in a trade and I thought I would get the other Arthurian deck (Legend Arthurian).