Aeclectic Tarot Questionnaire

Grizabella

1. Name (Or nickname, if you prefer...)

Grandma :D

2. Age

3. How long have you been reading Tarot?

I'm not real sure but I think about 6 years. Since my husband died, anyway.

4. What got you involved in Tarot?

Like someone else said, synchronicity. Someone gave me the Jamie Sams decks and even though I didn't recognize their similarity to tarot because I'd never seen a tarot deck and I never really used those cards much, somehow I just decided to check out tarot as a result of that.

5. Do you have a favourite Deck?

That's like asking me if I have a favorite child or grandchild. How can I choose? I love all the ones I have.

6. Do you have a favourite Card?

It depends on which deck, but usually I like the Hermit most in most of my decks. In the Wild Spirit deck, though, my favorite is the Fool.

7. What Tarot card best describes your personality?

It's hard to pick one for myself.

8. If you had to pick three cards to describe the day you're having, which three card combination would you choose and why?

Can't really decide.

9. Do you read intuitively?

I have the basics I rely on and then embellished with intuition.

10. Do you practice any other forms of divination?

No.

11. Are you a religious person?

No, I'm spiritual.

12. Do you have a Tarot Mentor? Who are they? How do they inspire you?

If I had to choose a mentor, I'd say Magpie. She's been very inspirational, kind and helpful to me.

13. Describe the most accurate reading you've done.

A reading I did with my Wild Spirit when I asked what my late husband would tell me through the cards if he could communicate with me that way. I was absolutely astounded by what they told me he'd say.

14. How does reading Tarot make you feel?

It's very hard to describe how it makes me feel. I know I wouldn't ever want to give it up.

15. Is there a card that continually stumps you?

The court cards make me go blank more than any other cards.

16. Do you have a favourite tarot spread?

I use seven cards, no meanings for the positions other than it's loosely based on past, present and future. That just seems to work best for me, but I'm working on learning some spreads with positions now because I feel they can be very eloquent.

17. Do you charge for your readings?

Yes.

18. Stangest place you've read tarot?

In the bathroom. (blushing)

19. If you could create one card to add to your deck, what would it be called? What would this card mean?

I don't think I'd presume to even try to add a card.

20. Does anyone you know not agree with your tarot practices?

My mother. I'd never tell her, bless her! And one of my sisters, and my oldest son. I'm sure I'll eventually find out who else doesn't agree with it! :p

21. Ever regretted a particular reading?

Not that I can remember.

22. Do you read for yourself as well as others?

No, I don't read for myself.

23. Have you predicted any mainstream/world events using Tarot?

No, but during the Scott Peterson trial, I kept getting a card in the Wild Spirit that showed a baby in the water encircled by arms when I'd ask what it was that would convict him if anything would. During his trial, I got that card in almost all the readings I did concerning it.

24. Do you read with reversals?

No, I don't read with reversals.

25. Is there anything else you'd like to add?

No, but it's fun reading everyone's responses.

Sulis

1. Name (Or nickname, if you prefer...) Julie / Sulis

2. Age 40

3. How long have you been reading Tarot? around 5 years or so

4. What got you involved in Tarot? I've been interested in and practicing Witchcraft for a number of years and that naturally seemed to lead me to tarot

5. Do you have a favourite Deck? International Icon Tarot

6. Do you have a favourite Card? The Moon or The Hermit

As others have said, different cards on different days, or a mixture of a few.
The cards that I immediately think of are Hermit, Queen of Cups, Queen of Swords, Knight of Swords, Page of Pentacles

8. If you had to pick three cards to describe the day you're having, which three card combination would you choose and why? Too complex for me to think about now.

9. Do you read intuitively? I use traditional meanings, number, element, image and my intuition.

10. Do you practice any other forms of divination? I occasionally scry with my rainbow obsidial sphere.

11. Are you a religious person? No but I do use magic and can be quite spiritual.

12. Do you have a Tarot Mentor? Who are they? How do they inspire you? No - apart from everyone here on ATF

13. Describe the most accurate reading you've done. I couldn't begin to remember it - it was probably private between myself and the querant anyway.

14. How does reading Tarot make you feel? It makes me feel as if I have something that I can ask for help when I'm feeling crap.
It makes me glad that I can use something as powerful as The Tarot to help people.

15. Is there a card that continually stumps you? The Hierophant

16. Do you have a favourite tarot spread? I usually use 3 - 5 card spreads - I think simple spreads are better

17. Do you charge for your readings? I charge for on-line readings done through my website.. I've never charged someone for a face to face reading. I also read for free for TABI.

18. Stangest place you've read tarot? Haven't really ready anywhere strange.

19. If you could create one card to add to your deck, what would it be called? What would this card mean? My deck is complete

20. Does anyone you know not agree with your tarot practices? I have a few friends who seem to regard it as a joke but no-one has told me that they don't agree with me using tarot

21. Ever regretted a particular reading? No. I've done readings that I've really struggled with and that I haven't been particularly satisfied with but I don't regret any.

22. Do you read for yourself as well as others? Yes

23. Have you predicted any mainstream/world events using Tarot? No - I tend to use tarot more as a personal tool and as a tool for helping others gain insight and advice into their problems.. I've never tried to 'predict world events'

24. Do you read with reversals? Yes

25. Is there anything else you'd like to add? No

Sulis xx

HanaDay

Hana

2. Age

Since I was about 12.

My favorite aunt. She gave my my first deck.

I love really old-fasioned decks. Rider Waite is stil my favorite, but I also like the Art Nouveau deck by Matt Myers. And the Saints Deck, as it was a gift from my boyfriend.

Strength, my personality and soul card, the Queen of Swords and the High Priestess. I won't buy a deck if I don't like those cards.

I haven't the foggiest.....The Queen of Swords? The Devil?

8. If you had to pick three cards to describe the day you're having, which three card combination would you choose and why?
Are there any cards for "extremely hung over?" The Queen of Swords, reversed, the Page of Pentacles reversed (because I'm having trouble convincing the roster office that I do in fact attend UPenn....still waiting on my birth certificate) and the Knight of Cups, reversed, for my boyfriend.

I try, but I'm worried that my interpretations are informed by my expectations.

No

No

Not really. But my aunts and mother all used to read themselves, and it was my aunt who gave me my first deck.

I predicted that a trip my mother was coordinating (she worked for a travel agency at the time) would go badly, and that someone might die. It was a year spread, and the months when the trip would be taking place were represented by the Chariot reversed, the Eight of Wands reversed and the Queen of Swords reversed. Sure enough, a man on her trip almost died from an alergic reaction to shellfish.

Sometimes it can be very tiring, but it's usually just somthing I do for fun.

I have difficulty with some of the Pentacles.

I like doing year spreads (12 cards, each one representing a month in the coming year)

Yes, but I read my friends and family for free.

I was once hired to read at a kid's tenth birthday party

19. If you could create one card to add to your deck, what would it be called? What would this card mean?
I have no idea. I suppose I'm not advanced enough to know how I'd go about adding anything.

My boyfriend

The first time I read for my boyfriend, who's a fundamentalist christian, Death, The Devil and The Tower all came up in the reading and completley freaked him out.

Yes

No, but I can predict events in my own life and in others' fairly well.

Yes

Not really...

gregory

gregory (known elsewhere are furrytarot...)

2. Age

a matter of months.

Buying a deck.... I just felt like it at the time....

De la Rea to look at; BBC to read with (at the moment)

DEATH

What - today ??? Moon, maybe. Tomorrow - who knows.

I wouldn't pick three. I don't read well enough to do that. It is sunny, very cold, snow is lying rather prettily, and I am turning the carpets. YOU pick !

Yes

No

Not in any conventional sense.

I guess there is one individual who inspires me; I wouldn't embarrass her by naming her here. She is a forum member.

How do you mean 'describe' ??? You want to look at my readings, go and look at them ! I can't just describe one without sort of DOING it again !

No particular way. really. I just rather enjoy it. Good when I get good feedback.

Not so far

No - generally 1 - 3 cards

No - I only read here and another forum.

n/a (well, this place is pretty strange :D)

I shall think about this and get back to you. I didn't think we'd get such in-depth question here ! BUT - as I read intuitively I couldn't say what it would mean, as such.... It would depend on the imagery !

Yes. (Someone I know thinks it is all the work of the devil. No aggro though !)

Yes. 30 years ago. Which is why I only really started reading a few months back; that was my first experience - and the last for many years !

Not so far

No

No but I plan to....

Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
No.

thatonegirl

Jocelyn
2. Age
5 years or so
I grew up in Taos New Mexico and knew a great many psychics and readers, my first cards ( a tiny tarot nova) was a gift for my 8th birthday or something,and I was reading with a Destiny Tarot ( my moms) until this year.
Sakki Sakki, Gilded and Robin Wood
I rather like The Star card, especially in Robin Wood
Queen of Swords
Ive only been awake for an hour, so the fool I guess. As im not sure what im doing today.

Yep
mmhm, Runes, Palmistry, learning I-Ching
Solitary Wiccan
I have many, Diane Wilkes, Mary K Greer.
I dont know of one specifically, from feedback I've gotten all of my readings have been very accurate.
At peace
The Devil, most of the time. However,sometimes it springs up and works well.
I like the Celtic Cross
Not yet.
Top of Taos Ski Valley
I dont think I would.
Nope
One, because I really didnt do a good job, and I felt kind of stupid.
Mhhm
Nope
Im learning how to.
25. Is there anything else you'd like to add? Nope, dont think so.

inanna_tarot

My answers!

Sezo (real name Sarah but theres always at least 3 other sarahs in a group of people lol)

2. Age

My first deck when I was 9 but it wasnt till 6/7 years ago I started to really read for others, journal my readings and expand my tarot knowledge.

My mother! I wanted to be her and know all she knows about the strange occult world. Someday she might even tell me.

Druid craft, though I love the Thoth as well. The DC is my main reading deck now. I love oracles too.

Strength from the Druid craft... though I really love the Pan card in the Tarot of the Sidhe, that Pan just pushes a few buttons for me lol.

Hmmm the Thoth's Princess of Wands.

Hmmm Something Pentacle for doing lots of housework.. something like the 10 of Pentacles in the DC, they look like they are spring cleaning hehe.
The Seven of Swords (again DC) for trying to ponder and think about this questionnaire
oh and the Princess of Wands in the DC, because I'm going to present this questionnaire and go TADA! Got a problem with it? Wanna make something of it?! hehe

Is there any other way to read?

Way too many to write here - anything and everything I'll give it ago :D I love oracles, runes, (learning) ogham, astrology, tea leaves, cloud/dream interpretation, scrying etc etc. Lots !

Spiritual yes, religious no. I'm an open minded Druid ( for more info look at http://www.druidry.org )

Not really a mentor but my mother is the person who got me into tarot, who helps me ponder and talk tarot with.

Predicting someone could be very fertile with projects and creativity and warned about pregnancy when they were pregnant at the time! She only had it confirmed the day before and hadnt even told the father yet. That spooked me

Hmmm feels very right. Feels like I'm fulfilling a service, an odd reason to be lol. Its comforting to shuffle a deck and to just go on 'auto' when reading and speak what ever your lips and tongue want to say. Every reading surprises me.

The pagan Devil cards aka Cernunnos/Pan/Horned One. I never know what to say when he pops up.

Elemental spreads. north/south/east/west/centre

Nope, but sometimes people offer donations. More often its part of implicit constant exchange of skills and favours.

In a girls bathroom

Satisfaction - where everything is just ticky boo and you dont need to worry or think about it, about what hinders or how to improve. Just to enjoy simply being.

If they did they wouldnt be in my life. Tarot is such a huge part of me and my spirituality that if they couldnt deal with it then I couldnt deal with them very much.

Nope, I just didnt like the info I got - 10 of Swords, Death and Tower ARGH! but it was the Thoth and it was speaking its truth.

All the time!

After the 7/7 bombings I did a reading a silently predicted to myself that there would be another bombing in the next month and there was an attempted bombing EEK

No. I tried but I find when I read I look at the up/down side of the card anyways that I dont need to reverse the cards.

I love tarot and its such a huge part of my life I couldnt be without it. I love the community here on AT. Oh and my tarot path has become so much richer since the One Deck Wonder thread! So thanks to Umbrae, Elf and all the others involved in that project :D

Sezo
x

Scion

Shawn

2. Age

Since I was 13ish... so 22 years.

My family! When I was nine my wacky mom bought a copy of Paul Christian's History and Practice of Magic in a used bookstore. I had always been an obsessive reader, and though it was way over my head I sort of jumped around, reading what I would later learn was a mishmash of fact and fantasy, literally teaching myself vocabulary so I could make sense of it. But that book led to an interest in occult history, which led to an interest in the Tarot. My family bought be a RWS when I was about 13, and I started finding all these connection between the history I'd read and these funny little pictures.

Oof. The Alchemical, International Icon, Crowley-Harris Thoth... those are pretty much my unvarying top three.

Knight of Wands. Moon.

Knight of Wands, ;) for better or worse.

Nine of Wands: a contemplative restful mood but still bumped from a hard week.
4 of Swords: "quiet" morning on the phone with my producers all morning, strategizing and spinning sow's ears into silk purses by craft and guile
Chariot: Enormous life-tugging forces at work that feel alternately like they're going to pull me into the firmament or tear me apart. LOL

Sometimes. I know my decks and their meanings are there inside my skull, but often the contextual patterns push a reading in specific directions through no observable logic

Nope.

Degree in Religion/Philosophy. I still think and study and read daily on the topic of religion. I guess I'll quote William James: "Religion is that which one does habitually." Humanity is by its nature religious, and we spend that fire in wildly different (often secular) ways.

Not exactly, other than my touchstones on Aeclectic. But authors: Robert Place & Lon Milo DuQuette

My sister was panicking about a strange neurological problem her son was having and was worried about the advice she was getting from doctors. I did a reading which looked at her fears and helped her remember something she had blocked out which as coloring her judgment and also helped her identify the doctor who was being the most candid with her. And though I DON'T do medical readings, it also predicted the outcome of his treatment and indicated the cause of the problem.

ENERGIZED! When I'm really reading I always feel as if I'm been plugged directly into the Cosmic Wall Socket with a gold-plated plug... like white fire licking off me into the sky and into the ground.

Not really.. although with RWS decks, the 2 and 3 of Wands always flipflop themselves in my head for some reason. (In fact, that in itself is probably meaningful. Duh.)

Three card readings for the mostpart. BUt for that reason, for big spreads I love the Celtic Cross (which is essentially three 3 card readings woven together).

Yes. But not in 10 years. I used to in college because I was broke and people kept asking. Easy way to winnow out the chaff and to make money on the side. Some of them kept coming to me for years after we'd graduated.

I.C.U. in a hospital at 3 am

I wouldn't. I think that's what appeals to me about Tarot: it's wholeness, harmony, and radiance. That's like asking if you could add another planet to the solar system; you could, but then since that would change the gravitational fields and the distribution of mass and energy it wouldn't be our solar system.

My partner used to get nervous about it. And a few friends are a little freaked out by it, but I'm in Manhattan so kneejerk "Tarot-is-evil" types are thinner on the ground... which is lucky for them.

I once did a "when will I find love" type reading for a friend of mine who'd gone through a hideous breakup, and every damn card indicated that she had a LONG wait ahead and that she needed to stabilize her life and her work before she started worrying about the menfolk. She just wasn't able to hear it, no matter how obvious the cards were. And I wound up doing a quick 3 card "what should I be looking for" addendum which felt deceptive, because it WAS what she would look for, but I knew it would be a long time before she'd be able to implement it. I was frustrated and nervous and upsetting her with the tough-love 1st reading, and so I twisted a question to give "Hope" which ended up feeling deceptive.

Yes. Although reading for myself takes way more focus and the harsh light of truth to ward off wish-fulfillment and projection. Sometimes I feel like reading for yourself is almost low magick summoning of the future. })

Dubya getting elected in 2000: Tower and 4 of Pents and 7 of Swords.

Yes. Depending on the deck. Not with Alchemical or Thoth.

Just my thanks for all the work by Solandia and the mods that makes Aeclectic possible. The internet, nonlinear and disorganized and encyclopedic, seems like the purest expression (to date) of human thought in a tangible form that reflects the physical process of human thinking. And I love that all of our ideas can rub up against each other to throw off sparks out here in the eclectic ether. I can't believe how long I've been a member here and how much it's added to my life and knowledge. Y'all are an amazing bunch of folks.

Many thanks to Rogan for putting this together.

Scion

tarotbear

My Turn! LOLOL!!

1. Name (Or nickname, if you prefer...) ~John, AKA 'Big Bear'

2. Age~ almost 51

3. How long have you been reading Tarot?~ since the early 1990s

4. What got you involved in Tarot?~ My babysitter would lock me in a closet after sitting on me and farting - oh, sorry - been reading Stephen King again...I started using 'Tarot Spells' for spell work and eventually started to study the cards themselves.

5. Do you have a favourite Deck?~ Robin Wood

6. Do you have a favourite Card?~ Magician ( Robin Wood)

7. What Tarot card best describes your personality?~ No one had designed a Tarot card that gay! Maybe if there was a 'la Cage aux Folles' deck!

8. If you had to pick three cards to describe the day you're having, which three card combination would you choose and why?~ I see everyone else has a question - do you mean what the three placements mean or what the three cards I would chose to have? I put three cards in a pyramid with the second card as the 'peak' of my day and the first and last as the beginning and end of my day.

9. Do you read intuitively? ~Now I do - but I didn't start that way; writing a book about it changes how you interpret and explain things.

10. Do you practice any other forms of divination?~ I have runes, tea leaf reading cups, and oracle decks but prefer Tarot.

11. Are you a religious person?~ I'm a spiritual person and practice Wicca.

12. Do you have a Tarot Mentor? Who are they? How do they inspire you?~ Meewah - who I even mentioned in my book if anyone caught it! In our years here at AT we have forged a very close freindship.

13. Describe the most accurate reading you've done.~ My first public reading where I pegged the querent was having an affair with a co-worker - in the first three cards.

14. How does reading Tarot make you feel?~ Like I'm standing naked on a mountaintop with the snow blowing across my hairy ... Oh! Sorry! I read Tarot every single friggin' day - it's a drug and my obsession. Can't live without it.

15. Is there a card that continually stumps you?~ Court Cards~ Those bastards!

16. Do you have a favourite tarot spread?~ Five-card Wheel Spread in 'Power Tarot.'

17. Do you charge for your readings?~ I have not charged for 90% of the readings I have ever done.

18. Strangest place you've read tarot?~ Standing up in a corridor outside a men's room at a Mardi Gras where the hall was too noisy to read in. I held the cards in-between my fingers.

19. If you could create one card to add to your deck, what would it be called? What would this card mean? ~ I created a fake card called 'the Oligarchy' for the First Aeclectic Collaborative Tarot. I was a cross between a French Tribunal and 'the Cabinet of Dr. Caligari.' It dealt with being victimized ... I believe.

20. Does anyone you know not agree with your tarot practices?~ No, but many people are shocked to find out I read cards - it's so unexpected of me, they think!

21. Ever regretted a particular reading?~ I did a reading for someone 10 days before they died. I didn't see their death in the reading then - but of course I see it 100% now.

22. Do you read for yourself as well as others?~ We all begin that way, but I learned I could influence the cards so I found/find someone to do them for me. I do read for myself when I absolutely need to and there is no one around.

23. Have you predicted any mainstream/world events using Tarot?~ no one ever asked me.

24. Do you read with reversals?~ No - I don't get reversals when I shuffle, but others do and I learned to read them; I also included reversals in my book for those who get them, too.

25. Is there anything else you'd like to add? My birthday is May 12 if you haven't gotten me a gift yet. :smoker:

Julien

My answers

I’ll stick with Julien ;).

2. Age

Turning 37 on March 21st… Feel like I’m 25, though…

Off and on for 15 years.

Just after I finished college I spent a few months working for a family as an live-in nanny… The mother in the family had a Tarot deck – one I’ve looked for since, but have never found since. She’d tucked it away in the part of the house that was my apartment for some reason… At any rate, one night I was sitting in my room, bored, and found this deck on a bookshelf. I started flipping through the cards and realized I could read them. I asked her about it later, and said that I couldn’t take the deck out of the house, but I was free to use it there as long as I liked. Later I realized that my mother and grandmother also read – playing cards – and so I began leaning more about Tarot more generally.

At the moment Druidcraft, though I also really love Kat Black’s Golden and the Robin Wood…

I have three, and it doesn’t matter which deck: the Ace of Pentacles, the Ace of Cups, and Temperance/The Fferyllt… I also really love the Lady in the Druidcraft.

Hm… No ONE card… I’m a mix of the King of Wands, the Queen of Pentacles with a dash of the Three of Cups…

Using the Druidcraft imagery: 4 of Swords, 7 of Pentacles, and 9 of Pentacles… I’m having a good, calm, earthy day of rest and relaxation…

Yes -- though if I look at a card and either have trouble articulating what I'm feeling from it, or have trouble identifying what I feel, I look through books for possibilities... Then do my own thing with whatever I find... ;) Maybe that makes me a bit of a hybrid.

Not really, though I’m clairaudient in a fairly significant way… And I do get impressions off of crystals and stones… I keep thinking I ought to learn to use Runes…

Spiritual rather than religious. I’m fascinated by religion in general; and, in my everyday life, very influenced by Buddhist practice and philosophy. But, having grown up in a very religious and not particularly spiritual home, I have a tendency to be fairly skeptical of anything that looks too structured… It just doesn’t work for me…

No, though I must say that many of the Tarot practitioners here on Aeclectic really inspire me, and I certainly appreciate their insights.

I can’t… Nothing stands out in my mind…

It helps me get out of my own head in some way – stop focusing on my life, and think about others. I feel more connected to the energy of the world and less insulated from it.

It doesn’t continually stump me, but I always have to concentrate extra hard: the 5 of Swords… There’s something about the energy of that card that really rubs me the wrong way, so I sometimes have to work very hard to see anything positive in it.

I really like simple three card throws – any variation of them. They seem to really help focus the heart of the matter… But I also really love horseshoe spreads as well.

Nope.

I’m very mundane – can’t think of any strange places where I’ve read Tarot.

Ah well… I’d add my guardian angel there… And he would represent the sort of energy that is a deep personal comfort, and would serve as a specific reminder to listen to your inner voice if you want to know the truth of the particular situation.

I’ve never told my father about it as I am quite sure he and his wife would think it is the practice of the Devil. His home is the one place I never take a Tarot deck… But I do have my laptop with me, and I can still participate on the forum, or get an on-line reading if I want one. ;)

No, though I think this may be because there are people I won’t read for… If I sense an energy around the querent that I feel uncomfortable with, I’ll politely refuse to do the reading.

Yep, I do…

No, but I’ve also never tried.

I do, though I don’t really need to anymore with all my decks. It seems to be the case that once I really connect with a deck, I no longer need reversals to help me see negative energy.

I love Aeclectic – and this questionnaire was a great idea!!!

Guiding Cauldron

nope i like an air of mystery :) will stick with my screename here plz.

2. Age

reading tarot seriously since last year. associated with divination since i was a very young girl around the age of 6, i always had visions of things to come regarding those closest to me at the time, and they were usually warning types to keep others from harm.

my own path and timeing

hanson roberts deck- lots of knowledge jammed in there
herbal tarot- my first deck
goddess tarot- very empowering
tarot of gnomes- fun loving but full of down to earth wisdom :)

The Sun

varies between Queen of Wands, The Hermit, and the Empress.

wheel of fortune, strength, hermit

yes

oracle readings, dream interpretations, visions, spirit guides, animal guides, learning tree language and more about crystals, herbal medicine.

Spiritual in nature, have ben fascinated about all religions the world over trhoughout different time periods.

AT memebers, you all have been great.

i tend to forget them after i read them. i dont dwell on them.

seeker of knowledge
healing others
helpful

no

no, but i do like to keep readings to about 5-6 cards, otherwise i can get really drained emotionally.

no

gas station

tarot is a whole, to suggest another card would suggest the cards are not fufilling enough as they are.

my family would but they have written me off years ago anyway lol

no, been unsure of reading correctly but in the end has always been a spot on reading for someone to recieve their message they needed to hear.

yes

no

gosh yes!

25. Is there anything else you'd like to add?[/b]

to continue to shine my light with the guidance of those more knowledgable and can teach me along my way. :)