I am devastated...

blackroseivy

Thank you everyone!

gregory

Well done. Dropbox is fine - though potentially hackable - but DO back up on a stick or a portable HD as well....

blackroseivy

I fully intend to! ;)

Oh, just for my info here - what is the difference between a stick drive and a portable hard drive?

PAMUYA

:) so happy for you.

blackroseivy

Ah, thank you very much! My sis doesn't have one so I didn't know, she's the family techie.

And no worries about car ignition, I don't drive! But I keep these close to the computer or on my dresser anyway, don't want to lose them.

frejasphere

I fully intend to! ;)

Oh, just for my info here - what is the difference between a stick drive and a portable hard drive?

My brother once explained this in a brilliant way which I couldn't help illustrating:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Gu7hq3xHCXw/UD7wHRNXfFI/AAAAAAAAAEA/FDKQmk6ZIH8/s1600/flash-vs-disc.jpg

Consider both (USB - flash, stick drive & portable hard drive) storages in terms of a stone tablet: With flash, we chip our words into the tablet. With external hard disc drives, we paint ink on the tablet and then swing it around a couple of times so that the ink dries.

With flash, we will eventually chip away so much of the stone that the tablet breaks. With an external HDD, we will never break through the tablet, but inevitably, we will slip one day while drying the ink and the tablet will go flying and break.

Today, there are more and more so called 'solid-state hard drives' which in simple terms do not require swinging around (so more like a stick drive)...

The bottom line is that hardware does fail at some point in time - if you make sure that your your eggs are in more than one basket (so to speak), you will be less likely to cry when one of your storage drives conks out for good.

I am guessing you have moved on from the initial drama of the missing files and are busy creating new and wonderful artwork... If you still think the files could be retrieved, I've had luck on a few occasions with a little program called un delete plus (just a thought)

Best of luck :)

blackroseivy

Thank you, I have my files and when the cards are completed I'll put them on a disk, that's what saved them the 1st time.