HOw to keep reading from being affected by skeptics/ getting self-concious

Goodluck

I was wondering what you guys do when you're reading for someone who is skeptical or maybe doesn't even WANT you to be accurate. Even if they don't have bad intentions, but the vibes coming off of them are inhibiting your flow as a reader.

**I always ground myself before a reading, but is there anything else I can do to keep their vibes from affecting me?**

Also, when I'm reading for someone I know well, I tend to get overly self-conscious about not doing a good job or being wrong, and it interferes with my ability to read. Even if the person is totally friendly and is not skeptical.

**Is there anything I can do to stop myself from being affected by this worry?**

Thanks!!!

aurafields

Not To Worry!

I was wondering what you guys do when you're reading for someone who is skeptical or maybe doesn't even WANT you to be accurate. Even if they don't have bad intentions, but the vibes coming off of them are inhibiting your flow as a reader.

**I always ground myself before a reading, but is there anything else I can do to keep their vibes from affecting me?**

Also, when I'm reading for someone I know well, I tend to get overly self-conscious about not doing a good job or being wrong, and it interferes with my ability to read. Even if the person is totally friendly and is not skeptical.

**Is there anything I can do to stop myself from being affected by this worry?**

I have a suggestion that has worked for me. Become aware of the pictures and thoughts that are coming to you as you continue to be sure you are well grounded. Grounding is vita to me, but it can sometimes be so strong that I feel the protection actually helps to block the flow. That's when I take an audible deep breath, even in front of my client, and proceed. I pretend if necessary that they are receptive, and while calling silently on my guides and the angels for help, I begin to force myself into relaxation(oxy-moron), and continue, using the slightest thought to propel me past their negativity. I'm skeptical myself until something is prove, but when I seek someone to assist me in a reading, I show the respect and make the effort to relax my guard and allow the other person to do what I came to them to do. If being friendly doesn't help enough and you just feel those daggers coming at you, focus on the first object you see, relax into the thought of it, the dimensions, the roundness or squareness of it, overall features, and just let the thoughts that now will tend to free up, become your focus and roll with that a few minutes until the person releases you from the strangulation of negativity and skepticism. I have had to ask a client to take a breath and just relax in order to allow me to "get in". After that and sometimes a gentle reminder that I am attempting to bring them a wonderful, kind, helpful and enlightening experience, they tend to relax a little or a lot. It is in that moment, "in between those breaths", so to speak, that I feel the nitch I am able to get into and revert back to the cards and their meanings and allow the holy spirit of feeling, the highest self to begin to flow more easily and bypass the skepticism. The part where you refocus on another object, breaking the eye contact as well as some tension, is often the point where you will physically feel the other persons energy shift and allow you to stop worrying. I hope this helps you.

nisaba

I was wondering what you guys do when you're reading for someone who is skeptical or maybe doesn't even WANT you to be accurate.
Why would they even waste their money asking for a reading?

Even if they don't have bad intentions, but the vibes coming off of them are inhibiting your flow as a reader.
I just get on and do my stuff.

You mean their energy? Their mood? Their physical smells etc? Shield. People will join into this thread giving you all sorts of visualisations to do it, but all that is really essential is to know that you are you, not them.

So refer them to another reader. I rarely read for people I know well. There are two I still read for, but neither of them ask often. Reading for yourself or for someone whose circumstances you know about is incredibly hard - you don't have much of a way of telling whether the ideas in your head are based on an intuitive message from the cards or on simply knowing their circumstances.

Just be yourself. Don't overlap yourself into the client. And if you can't read well for friends, refer them on. :)

Disa

Well, I was(am) an incredible skeptic myself. So I can see where they are coming from. If they are skeptical I say,"I don't blame you" and keep on reading. I had one guy continue to insist everything I said was not resonating, not making any sense. I would rephrase, and he would say no, but....and then he would say exactly what I had just said, but in a different way... Let them be skeptics, you have nothing to prove. If they don't like it they can go find someone else.

As far as blocking/shielding, I have found that stops my info or makes it harder to receive. I'm all for grounding ahead of time and taking deep breaths if needed. Also, if you get stuck, just keep on talking, something is bound to click and start the flow again :)

PS - how long have you been reading? All of this may pass once you've done quite a few readings, anyway. I used to feel much the same way you do, and I still don't do a lot of face to face readings, but I find them much easier than I did when I first started.

Mark Lewis

I like sceptics providing they are not too aggressive. It is a wonderful thing seeing them reluctantly relax as you get more and more accurate. In fact I don't actually want people to be too believing. Too much belief encourages dependence and that is not healthy either for the client or the reader.

I find if someone is sitting opposite me expressionless the best thing to do is make them laugh. Not necessarily a comedy club laugh but a small laugh nevertheless. Or even just a smile. You say something amusing and they lighten up despite themselves. And when they lighten up they become a little less sceptical.

Goodluck

I have a suggestion that has worked for me. Become aware of the pictures and thoughts that are coming to you as you continue to be sure you are well grounded. Grounding is vita to me, but it can sometimes be so strong that I feel the protection actually helps to block the flow. That's when I take an audible deep breath, even in front of my client, and proceed. I pretend if necessary that they are receptive, and while calling silently on my guides and the angels for help, I begin to force myself into relaxation(oxy-moron), and continue, using the slightest thought to propel me past their negativity. I'm skeptical myself until something is prove, but when I seek someone to assist me in a reading, I show the respect and make the effort to relax my guard and allow the other person to do what I came to them to do. If being friendly doesn't help enough and you just feel those daggers coming at you, focus on the first object you see, relax into the thought of it, the dimensions, the roundness or squareness of it, overall features, and just let the thoughts that now will tend to free up, become your focus and roll with that a few minutes until the person releases you from the strangulation of negativity and skepticism. I have had to ask a client to take a breath and just relax in order to allow me to "get in". After that and sometimes a gentle reminder that I am attempting to bring them a wonderful, kind, helpful and enlightening experience, they tend to relax a little or a lot. It is in that moment, "in between those breaths", so to speak, that I feel the nitch I am able to get into and revert back to the cards and their meanings and allow the holy spirit of feeling, the highest self to begin to flow more easily and bypass the skepticism. The part where you refocus on another object, breaking the eye contact as well as some tension, is often the point where you will physically feel the other persons energy shift and allow you to stop worrying. I hope this helps you.

Thank you, Aurafields. I also find that when I focus too much on grounding myself it just distracts me as well! I will try your tip about focusing on the cards and what I'm doing rather than the querent and see if that helps me. I agree that if I can focus on the thoughts coming in rather than worrying, it'll clear up for me. Thanks so much!

Goodluck

Why would they even waste their money asking for a reading?

I just get on and do my stuff.

You mean their energy? Their mood? Their physical smells etc? Shield. People will join into this thread giving you all sorts of visualisations to do it, but all that is really essential is to know that you are you, not them.

So refer them to another reader. I rarely read for people I know well. There are two I still read for, but neither of them ask often. Reading for yourself or for someone whose circumstances you know about is incredibly hard - you don't have much of a way of telling whether the ideas in your head are based on an intuitive message from the cards or on simply knowing their circumstances.

Just be yourself. Don't overlap yourself into the client. And if you can't read well for friends, refer them on. :)

Thanks, Nisaba. I think my biggest challenge is, like you say, "just getting on and doing my stuff." I'm going to work on not worrying so much what they're thinking and just focus on what I'm getting. Not reading for friends/those whose circumstances I'm familiar with may very well help. Thanks for your help!

Goodluck

Well, I was(am) an incredible skeptic myself. So I can see where they are coming from. If they are skeptical I say,"I don't blame you" and keep on reading. I had one guy continue to insist everything I said was not resonating, not making any sense. I would rephrase, and he would say no, but....and then he would say exactly what I had just said, but in a different way... Let them be skeptics, you have nothing to prove. If they don't like it they can go find someone else.

As far as blocking/shielding, I have found that stops my info or makes it harder to receive. I'm all for grounding ahead of time and taking deep breaths if needed. Also, if you get stuck, just keep on talking, something is bound to click and start the flow again :)

PS - how long have you been reading? All of this may pass once you've done quite a few readings, anyway. I used to feel much the same way you do, and I still don't do a lot of face to face readings, but I find them much easier than I did when I first started.

I can appreciate someone who brings a healthy skepticism, also. But, nothing drives me crazier than when I know I'm onto something and the person is totally set on ignoring it or even worse, seeing what they want to see instead of what is clearly there! lol Shielding can definitely be counterproductive, in my opinion, as it can close me off from the querent's energy field. I think your advice to keep talking until it clicks is great. Thank you!

I've been reading about a year, but I still feel like a baby in the world of Tarot. When I am on a roll, I feel 100% confident but when I feel concerned about what the person is thinking or "am I right?" it affects my reading. I'll work on that. :)

Goodluck

. Too much belief encourages dependence and that is not healthy either for the client or the reader.

Oh my goodness, I agree completely!

I really like your suggestion to bring some humor in to lighten the mood. That is really good advice for life in general, I think. Thanks. :)

Sherilyn G

Thanks!!!

Sometimes I'll come across someone who I can't seem to read very well for... and I'll get a certain feeling about that... so I will ask the person, "you don't really believe in this, do you?", to which they generally respond "no, not really", so then I tell them "well, then I cannot read for you". And then I pick up my cards and I'm done, with no further discussion.

If you're afraid of being "wrong" then I suggest trying some exercises that help you let go of the "inner critic". Try some free writing exercises.

When I practice, I find it helps to tell my friends and family to take the reading with a grain of salt, because it is just a practice reading. Then they know what to expect, and that makes me feel better and more relaxed. Practice makes perfect, but it doesn't have to be perfect.