Getting art ideas from Tarot?

mbug90

I know there is a way to get fiction ideas from Tarot; there is a book for that. But is there a way to get ideas for things to draw or paint by using tarot cards. Or, is this just one of those things you just "do?"

I have looked everywhere for processes such as this, but I have hardly found anything relevant. I know there is an Artist's Path spread but it is more about the creative process itself than generating ideas of what to create.

rwcarter

Welcome to Aeclectic, mbug90! Sometimes you have to allow more than 36 minutes for someone to respond to one of your posts.

I don't know of any published sources on the subject. How about laying down three cards (face down), turning them over one by on and noting what catches your eye first in each card? You might end up with something like a person (or animal), a color and a place. Sounds like a great starting off point to me for a piece of art. :)

Rodney

nisaba

You could paint the scenes that are occurring beyond the frame of the image.

You could paint the scenes that the characters in the cards might paint when they are off-duty and go home to make art.

You could just let the colours and richness of imagery fill your mind.

Zephyros

You might want to look at the Transparent Tarot. Its spare cards and style practically beg to be filled in with scenes and figures.

mbug90

What I have been doing is looking up the keywords for the cards I draw (reversed or not) and doing serial association (recording a flow of ideas, each one triggering the next) off of each.

Before anyone tells me "Then, what did you make this thread for?" I also wanted to learn if there were maybe more experimental ways to come up with ideas using the tarot. Maybe drawing a card for every element of art (shape, line, color, value, etc.) for highly stylized artwork.

rwcarter

Well....?
Three people gave you ideas and you didn't acknowledge any of those ideas. So why would you think that other people are in a rush to give you more ideas?