Cleansing oneselves from Negative Energy after a Tough Reading

ana luisa

OK...Is that the symbol for good luck in your country, the hand in figas ? Surely they can be bought somewhere on the internet...

Do you REALLY want to know what they stand for ?? Ok, you've asked for it. They mean STRENGTH and POWER. Strength in the sense that nothing will be able to defeat you. Now, as to what the hand with the thumb between the second and third finger represent, well, that's the penis and the 2 testicles. Remember that a lot of these amulets have their origin in very primitive religions and they tend to deify the male "attributes". :D

Nikita_

Do you REALLY want to know what they stand for ?? Ok, you've asked for it. They mean STRENGTH and POWER. Strength in the sense that nothing will be able to defeat you. Now, as to what the hand with the thumb between the second and third finger represent, well, that's the penis and the 2 testicles. Remember that a lot of these amulets have their origin in very primitive religions and they tend to deify the male "attributes". :D

LOL ! Yes I can see how in primitive cultures that would stand for strength and power...! I'll try to get one, anyway, it's an interesting object...

Nikita_

How about the pentagram ? I mean, wearing that as a pendant, for example...some think it's a protection symbol...I'm a bit ignorant in that area, is that just a wiccan thing ...?

Zephyros

Well, that's the thing. Nothing works just because it does. You can use virgin glasses, wear as many pendants as your neck will hold, say banishing spells until your throat is sore... and you may be no closer to your goal. What matters is what you, yourself believe, what you feel purifies yourself and your surroundings. What good is a symbol of a culture that isn't yours and you don't understand or a ritual that makes no sense to you?

Even the positive effects of meditation are cumulative.

Nikita_

Well, that's the thing. Nothing works just because it does. You can use virgin glasses, wear as many pendants as your neck will hold, say banishing spells until your throat is sore... and you may be no closer to your goal. What matters is what you, yourself believe, what you feel purifies yourself and your surroundings. What good is a symbol of a culture that isn't yours and you don't understand or a ritual that makes no sense to you?

But at some point, everybody has learnt the meaning of symbols and rituals, nobody knows them from Birth...and then we can decide if it works or makes sense for us or not...and the energy a symbol carries doesn't necessarily depend on whether we personally believe in it or not....Jung explains that, in a way...and tarot itself works, whether the person you read for believes it or not...

ana luisa

Let me be a bit Libra here. I agree with you but also disagree. I think what we all see here is that FAITH is what does the trick. It's what you call "making sense to you". When you do not believe in something it becomes useless. VERY true. I myself experienced that when a true catholic lady "saved"me from a spiritual possession. I am not catholic but she was. And she had such strong faith in it that it did the trick. Having said that, what harm would it do nikita to place a flower on her table ? If anything, it would make it look prettier. Water also cannot do any harm nor wearing a pendant. If she is catholic, a cross would also help her out. I was just giving her different options. I like diversity ;)

Zephyros

Well, the harm is the danger of falling to superstition and fear of omens. If you perform a ritual with no understanding, you're not actually doing anything except giving the words themselves power, rather the carrying out real self improvement as would (possibly) happen were you to do the homework of knowing what you're doing.

Now, I love flowers, people should have them as much as possible. However, if you put a flower on your table just to ward off bad luck (whatever that is)... well, it certainly does no harm to cross to the other side of the street if you see a black cat, or a crack in the pavement, is there? Except that there is. It is paranoid and can become quite harmful, all because someone got advice to put their faith in spells and talismans instead of themselves.

Honestly, I see the blanket argument as an one for ignorance and fear. Bottom line, whatever you do, find out about it. Don't be ignorant and just assume "something" will happen just because of a flower. Want to do magic? Learn it, find out what it is, why it works, if at all and make it your own. This isn't the same as simply trying something until it works. It is a process, it is gradual and it is self respecting.