Identify this Sun, pretty please

BSwett

Hi all,

I've got this modified Sun tatooed in my arm. The proportions of the kids are changed to fit my children's ages, and on top, i wrote their names instead of the XIX.
I found this Marseille Sun pic on Google images, and I'm trying to find the exact version of it so that I can get me a copy.

Hopefully this link works:

http://instagram.com/p/MduFUmPn1h/

Thanks, B.

BSwett

Very close but no. The one I'm looking for has a little green tone as well, and the border is hand drawn and a tiny bit irregular. It's one of the prettiest versions I've seen. Love the very pleasant expression that the sun has!!

Here's the original Google image link:

http://s20.postimage.org/nrwrtv13h/IMG_1015.jpg

Tarotwolf

It might be this deck. I haven't tried to track down the sun card within this deck, but the colors and linework seem to match.

http://www.tarotgarden.com/database/images/m-decks/marseillerussiancards.gif

From tarotgarden:

"Unknown Russian Marseille Tarot"

Designer(s), Artist(s): Unknown
Country of Publication: Russia
Number of Cards: 78
Publication Year: Unknown
Publication Status: Unknown

Description: Traditional Marseille tarot, published in Russia but possibly a reprint of a French deck published by Marcel.

BSwett

Yes! Tarotwolf, thank you. I'm pretty sure this is it. Love the raw lines and tones. I wonder how I'm gonna get my hands on this deck?!

Awesome find!

B.

shaveling

Yes, comparing Le Soleil from my copy to your Google link, this is the deck Tarotwolf identified.

The deck used to show up on eBay all the time, at a ridiculously low price: five dollars, I believe. I finally got a copy to see what on earth they were selling so cheap. I expected something much less than I got. But it's one of those interesting decks I never actually used. I'm afraid I haven't seen it on eBay or anywhere else for a long time now.

The colors are unusual. There's a lot of green. The light green leans to the yellowish end of the scale, almost chartreuse. And the pip swords are blue and purple. The most striking thing about the colors for me is that the contents of the cups are blue, presumably water, instead of the usual red, presumably wine.

The rather thin stock is glossy on one side, and matte on the other. And so my copy is very bowed at this point. But it's insubstantial enough I wouldn't try to riffle shuffle it anyway. Good luck in finding one. Maybe it will turn up again on eBay.

BSwett

Thanks Shaveling.

Maybe you can remember a couple of the keywords used on EBay so that I can search now and then. Or a publishers clue of some sort.

Pura Vida!

shaveling

The listing was always there when I did my usual "tarot marseille" search. It turned up so consistently in those days I thought of it as an annoyance, getting in the way of the decks I was really searching for. But that hasn't happened in a long time. Maybe you could try "tarot russian" too. But when I did this morning that particular deck didn't show up.

The box has The Hermit on the front. The back has a detail of an old map showing the Mediterranean with Italy and Sicily. The writing on the front and one side of the box is French: "Tarot de Marseille" "78 cartes avec livret explicatif." Everything else on the box and in the LWB is in Cyrillic.

It seems to say this on the bottom of the box: © Издатель Л.Г.Кошелева. But since I have no idea what I am copying, that might not be right at all.

By the way, I think Le Soleil is going to remind me of your tattoo and kids from now on.

BSwett

I hope that's a good thing ;)

They are pretty awesome kids!!!