2014 Oscar Award Prediction Challenge

Glass Owl

Who do you think will win at the 2014 Oscars?
How about we ask our Lenormand decks? :party:
wbfolw.jpg

To view the nominees and watch the movie trailers, please go to http://oscar.go.com/nominees.
If you wish, you can find a printable ballot here.​

For this challenge we are going to focus on five major award categories. (If there is interest, more categories can be added.) Please keep in mind that all readings need to be posted before the 2014 86th Oscars ceremony, which airs on March 2, 2014. If you would like to read our thread for the 2014 Golden Globe Predictions, please go here.

DIRECTIONS:
To participate in this challenge, please pull out a Lenormand deck of your choosing and select a category below. Then, pull three Lenormand cards in order to predict which nominee will take home the Oscar. For the acting awards, consider the wording of your question carefully. Do you want the cards to show you the actor/actress who will win? Or do you want clues as to the character portrayed by the winner? Either approach is fine but be sure to include it in your question.

Here are the nominees...

BEST PICTURE
American Hustle
Captain Phillips
Dallas Buyers Club
Gravity
Her
Nebraska
Philomena
12 Years a Slave
The Wolf of Wall Street

ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE
Christian Bale (American Hustle)
Bruce Dern (Nebraska)
Leonardo DiCaprio (The Wolf of Wall Street)
Chiwetel Ejiofor (12 Years a Slave)
Matthew McConaughey (Dallas Buyers Club)

ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE
Amy Adams (American Hustle)
Cate Blanchett (Blue Jasmine)
Sandra Bullock (Gravity)
Judi Dench (Philomena)
Meryl Streep (August: Osage County)

ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
Barkhad Abdi (Captain Phillips)
Bradley Cooper (American Hustle)
Michael Fassbender (12 Years a Slave)
Jonah Hill (The Wolf of Wall Street)
Jared Leto (Dallas Buyers Club)

ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
Sally Hawkins (Blue Jasmine)
Jennifer Lawrence (American Hustle)
Lupita Nyong'o (12 Years a Slave)
Julia Roberts (August: Osage County)
June Squibb (Nebraska)

Glass Owl

I used the Gilded Reverie Lenormand.

BEST PICTURE: Ship + Dog + Snake
trip/loyal/trouble
Traveling with a loyal friend leads to trouble. It seems like this could fit a number of the films (Captain Phillips, Gravity, Dallas Buyers Club, Philomena, etc) so I shuffled some more and did another three card draw.

Clouds + Mice + Book
Confusion/eaten away/knowledge
A confusion that is diminished by knowledge. Or maybe a confusion that is diminished by a revealing of secrets. Hmm.

Both sets of cards could maybe fit Dallas Buyers Club - but I suspect I would have seen other cards pop up for that one.

Philomena stands out in light of both draws and fits really well, especially the second draw and the film is based on an actual book.

ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE: Fish + Tree + Rider
wealth/health/news
Matthew McConaughey portrays a man in Dallas Buyers Club who ends with a successful business (Fish) after being motivated to survive his health (Tree) results (Rider).

ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE: Park + Whip + Cross
Social/repetition or quarrels /burden
For me, this combo rules out most contenders including Sandra Bullock (Gravity) and Judi Dench (Philomena). Since Cate Blanchett's character in Blue Jasmine loses her money and home and has to live with her sister, it seems that her situation (losing her social status and feeling like a burden) fits these cards very well.

ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE: Mice + Moon + Lady
Eating away/reputation/Lady
Given the Lady card (just as it appeared in the combo that I drew for the Supporting Actor Golden Globe) I would have to say the Oscar will go to Jared Leto (Dallas Buyers Club). I wonder if the Mice + Moon represents his condition affecting his appearance as well.

ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE: Lilies + Sun + Scythe
The Lilies card in this combination makes me feel as though the Oscar may go to the June Squibb (Nebraska) who is 84 and portrays a mother in the movie. From what I have read, her character is "cutting" and has sharp words too.

light2000

Ok will try i didn't watched none of them.

BEST PICTURE

clouds/scythe/house

Confuse decision about stability... Gravitity??
Or
After confusion decide to come back home

Will took more 3

Road/man/tree

Undecided medicine man, or choise family man path

With the others i took confuse about a path/ eleminate man/ family house

So with this 3 last cards i will go for 12 years slavery, like i said i didn't watched any of the movies, so i don't know the storie of them, but the schythe and the tree here, seems some people need to work on a field at a country house, so i guess this relate with slavery and also the tree means long time and the only movie with years on the name is that one.

ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE

Letter/Woman/Tree

News about a ill woman, i looked on the google the Chiwetel Ejiofor had his sister sick so i guess the cards are saying that his him. But is too small information, can be that at a newspaper comes out news about a woman healh too litle.

But more 3 cards to help

Bear/Rod/House

If i do with the letter, this news are about weight , mother or grandmother. With the rod next to the ebar, can be repetetive weight problems that causes discussions at home.

Oh is talking about the character on the movie and the rod shows slavery .

ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE

Tree/Dog/coffin

A friend died of illness

doesn't help me much, since i googled it and amy cried because of a friend that dies, cate too, same friend and merly too, judi dench the husband died. So only excluded sandra...

More 3 cards

Bear/key/Garden

So the boss is the key and something become public about her boss, ohhhh so is Cate blanchett.

I'm too tired to continue today, will do more tomorrow.

Glass Owl

Regarding my draws:

Well, three out of five (Best Actor, Best Supporting Actor, Best Actress) wasn't too bad, I suppose. In retrospect, I wonder if I should have looked at my Supporting Actress draw more literally, with the sun and scythe pointing to a slave working out in the sun.

light2000

Regarding my draws:

Well, three out of five (Best Actor, Best Supporting Actor, Best Actress) wasn't too bad, I suppose. In retrospect, I wonder if I should have looked at my Supporting Actress draw more literally, with the sun and scythe pointing to a slave working out in the sun.

Was good Glass, i got 2 out of 3.

I failed at the actor one, my mistake i should focus or at the actor himself or the character at the movie, the first 3 cards i saw the real person and the next 3 the character, so i should be stuck to one of the things. Was pretty good :)