Pentacles in relationship spreads

mysticangel_001

I seem to have difficulty reading Pentacles in relationship readings. My mind tends to focus on the money/work aspects of the Pentacles suit. How does one overcome that and be able to read those cards in a relationship context?

tarotbear

Pentacles deal with the material things in your life; not just money & finances. Pentacles deal with all the usual four Tarot questions: Love, Money, Job, and Future.

Think home & hearth, good food & drink, creature comforts, the good things in life. (Except for the 5 Pents which is about the loss of all the above - Fives deal in chaos.)

Laurelle

Cups are more emotions and love is emotional.

Pentacles can be about love for sure...

2 of Pentacles: Juggling two women/men
3 of Pentacles: Asking your boyfriend/girlfriend for more
4 of Pentacles: Holding out on sex
5 of Pentacles: Your lover kicks you out of the house
6 of Pentacles: Husband give wife an allowance
7 of Pentacles: Waiting for your lover to return home
8 of Pentacles: Working too much and not spending enough time with SO..
9 of Pentacles: A courtesan
10 of Pentacles: Marriage grounded in financial wealth
Ace of Pentacles: Sex, pregnancy....
Page of Pentacles: Meeting a new love interest at school
Knight of Pentacles: A strong, reliable lover
Q of Pentacles: Fertility
King of Pentacles: He'll offer you diamonds and the world.

And these are just one sentence possibilities...they can mean other things in the context of love. Pentacles would indicate a love that is more grounded in "Reality" than emotions. I view them as being emotional at times anyway, but in a general way they are more grounded... For example, I see the Queen of Pentacles as a woman who might be practical in love. She would be less emotional than the Queen of Cups or Wands, but more emotional than the Queen of Swords.

Laurelle

Maybe as an exercise you can write one sentence about each card in relation to love. You can study the picture. Write down whatever pops into your head.

tarotbear

Cups are more emotions and love is emotional.

Love can be very closely allied with money.

Sometimes Love is merely sex.

Sometimes Love has nothing to do with it.

Laurelle

Love can be very closely allied with money.

Sometimes Love is merely sex.

Sometimes Love has nothing to do with it.

4 of Pentacles: Love can be very closely allied with money (he loves his coins)

Ace of Pentacles: Sometimes Love is merely sex (that opening looks a lot like.....)

9 of Pentacles: Sometimes love has nothing to do with it. (She loves that you pay her bills)

tarotbear

4 of Pentacles: Love can be very closely allied with money (he loves his coins)

His few meagre possessions may be all that he has and he is afraid of losing what he has left .....

Ace of Pentacles: Sometimes Love is merely sex (that opening looks a lot like.....)

Sometimes Love is only sex... too many people muddle sex with mere desire ...

9 of Pentacles: Sometimes love has nothing to do with it. (She loves that you pay her bills)

She also is a prisoner and knows it and is waiting for her escape ...

Amanda

I seem to have difficulty reading Pentacles in relationship readings. My mind tends to focus on the money/work aspects of the Pentacles suit. How does one overcome that and be able to read those cards in a relationship context?

I tend to lean more towards issues of security, values, and I'm still inclusive of tangibles when it comes to pentacles in regard to love/relationships... like gifts, food, etc. Of course, surrounding cards will dictate.

But if you're finding yourself stuck because the money/work interpretations don't work, I would just try looking at the cards in terms of those three things: security, values, and tangibles.

I did a reading once (I don't remember all of the cards) but two of them were RWS Ace of Pentacles + King of Cups. The guy bought a drink for a lady and presented it to her at a bar.

mysticangel_001

Thanks everyone, that helps, it is just hard sometimes to get my mind to shift gears when Pentacles show up in relationship readings.

Laurelle, your list helps a lot, it gives me an idea of where those cards can go.

Padma

I think that the Pents lend an earthy feeling to the relationship question - someone grounded, secure, dependable. Someone sensual and with simple lusts. Uncomplicated and stable.

I read the 9 Pents not as a kept woman or an imprisoned person, but as someone content to be alone, and secure in themselves. And with an appreciation for the material pleasures in life. 9 is the number of the Hermit, and I feel this nine in particular resonates with Hermit.