Deviant Moon Tarot--Ace of Pentacles

afrosaxon

The Ace of Pentacles is one of my favorite cards in the deck! The card shows a black dragon with a light golden chest and ruby-red wings outstretched; a claw is at the tip of each wing. The dragon looks to the right, sharp teeth bared, tongue curling out, as it grips a large round golden pentacle. The background of the pentacle is a swirl of sparkly reddish-purple and indigo. It's a pentacle card, but I just feel the energy in it--an energy of industry, of working. indeed, the dragon is studded with what looks like metal struts...like a machine.

The dragon wings are sturdy and strong as well, and indicative of passion. Dragons are good in war as well...fighting for one's material and health needs?

Why is there more passion in this card than in the Ace of Wands? The passion of work?

Actually...why a dragon, in the first place? Are dragons thought of being that industrial/industrious? I think of them more as war animals.

Thoughts?

T.

Onyx

afrosaxon said:
The Ace of Pentacles is one of my favorite cards in the deck! The card shows a black dragon with a light golden chest and ruby-red wings outstretched; a claw is at the tip of each wing. The dragon looks to the right, sharp teeth bared, tongue curling out, as it grips a large round golden pentacle. The background of the pentacle is a swirl of sparkly reddish-purple and indigo. It's a pentacle card, but I just feel the energy in it--an energy of industry, of working. indeed, the dragon is studded with what looks like metal struts...like a machine.

This card grasped my atteniton when I first saw the deck as well. It is wonderful, dark, powerful and alluring. I love the look of the dragon that as been built with all the bolts showing but adding to the look of the strength and power. His skin is tough and durable.

afrosaxon said:
he dragon wings are sturdy and strong as well, and indicative of passion. Dragons are good in war as well...fighting for one's material and health needs?

Why is there more passion in this card than in the Ace of Wands? The passion of work?

I think that we see something different in the passion of the Wands for creativity and new birth. Here is dragon that protects the gold. The stunning blue and violet pentacle in the clutches of the dragon is delightfully beautiful. It is a treasure almost to entice the knight on a quest to capture it from the dragon to prove his bravery. This may be the sense of avarice that seeks to cling on and protect riches that we all may have.

afrosaxon said:
Actually...why a dragon, in the first place? Are dragons thought of being that industrial/industrious? I think of them more as war animals.

I think of dragons as beast of fire and metal. I think that as an emblem of the base elemental power of the suit is that of metal and molten ore. The fire of industry is a bit of a dragon. It seeks to grow and howl and capture. I love that the pentacle is reversed to symbolize the material over the spiritual. The Pentacles are all about the way material is prized over the spiritual in this deck.

Onyx.

Lion

I think of dragons as hoarders, plundering jewels and riches and then doing nothing with them but sleeping on them. of course this is mostly from reading The Hobbit.

Lion

more thoughts on dragons/ace of pents

living in caves beneath the earth, sleeping on their riches.

This is the only dragon I've been able to find in the deck so far.

Many cards have little intricate details that you find when you look more closely. This card has dragon, waning moon, pentacle. The dragon grasps the single pentacle, holds it protectively with both forelimbs and tail. In the pentacle one can see the blue spiral of the galaxies. This pentacle seems to hold everything, from the dragon's point of view.

Mythic

Three

The dragon has a tongue that forks in three tips. The wings have three black hooks, as does his head between the horns and his neck between his ears. Thee horns on his left shoulder and his right forearm. Three claws on his front paws. Three scratches on his belly. What is with the threes?