Faeries Standing On Their Heads

Shade

I normally avoid using reversed cards when I read with a deck, I'm looking into the subject more throughly but by and large reversals tend to muddle readings for me. I had been reading with the Froud deck for a hile and once again not paying attention to reversals when it was suggested to me by a friend that if the faeries were taking the time and effort to stand on their heads i should pay attention. Reading with the reversed meanings has really opened the deck up a lot to me. It requires turning to the book for just about every reading but I'm a lot closer to this deck now. Do other folks here read with the reversed meanings? I used teh search feature to look fro reversed threads here but didn't find any.

Butterfly

Absolutely! I think this is one of those decks where reversals add such valuable info. I love the way it's emphasised that the energy is not just blocked but also twisted and expressed in a different way.
I often refer to the book too. But hey, it's a fabulous book, so I'm not at all worried ;)

Alissa

Strangely enough, the Faeries are the ONE deck I NEVER use reversals for.

Just to prove that, I rarely shuffle, but do many random draws, occassionally hand riffling to keep them oriented the same direction.

And just to show me how much my efforts have paid off, Spirit Dancer showed up upside down last week or so. It's the ONLY reversal I've ever had with the deck.

Leave it to the Fae to behave wierd. ;)

sagitarian

reading reversed meanings.

When I originally learned to read tarot, I was taught to not read reversed cards. For yeeeaaarrrsss I didn't read reversed cards. I decided to get the universal waite deck and go back to learning the original symbology and traditional meanings. That's the ONLY deck that I've felt compelled to read reversed meanings on. Shortly after that, I got the Faery oracle deck, and I don't feel that they should be read reversed.

Besides the way that I do read reversed is it means the same thing right side up as it does upside down, just upside down it applies to the querent internally vs. externally. Your inner (Air) work vs your outter (earth) work.

Butterfly

LOL, well there you go, Johnny Voodoo. Faeries just can't agree on anything!! ;)
I will add though. With my readings most of the ones I take notice of are the "leapers", as they fall on the ground, I often don't know if they are reversed or not. I generally go with my intuition on these ones.

Wisp Wings

I've been meaning to reply to this thread for some time and then just getting too caught up in other things. Today I saw this again and I was hit with the need that I was to share this.

As for me on other decks (tarot), knowing that from other readers that read only the right side up way, they generally say that they do this because for them they can see all ascepts of the card -- both the positive and the negative. So long back from this knowledge, I thought if that is the case and if I were to be believe that I too would be able to know both sides and have "a feel" as to which it should be, why bother to make all of the cards upright? If I am going to see it all? It would apply if all the cards are upright, yet your intuition/guidance is telling you this card needs to be read with more of what people think of as a reverse meaning, then I'd read it as such. Hope this is making sense to all reading it. It is how I see that it can be. Therefore I allow cards to be mixed and mingled as they be. Most times now I shuffle the cards as directed in the Compass about the Quest Tarot, so I get a good blend of all.

With this oracle, I thought on how I should and started with having them a time or two all upright. Then having one turn itself a few times, I decided, oh well do the same as I had for the other decks I use. Plus like it was mentioned already, the book does talk of how some cards can be in the reverse with meaning either being blocked, or being twisted or the extreme where bent on destruction. That has a lot to offer and its you having to glean which of the three is the case.

What truly made me trust in not ignoring reversals with this deck is a one card reading I did for myself early on with the Faeries' Oracle. This was one of the readings where I just had the deck all spread about, moving through the cards, then randomly selecting one. I didn't have a structured sentence made asking a question, but I was much like Indi in hands up indecision! I was trying to make a decision on what if anything I should place on the personal faery guidance card. Of course I did want it to be meaning my faery guide or to symbolize the guide. I am not an artist. That was much of my indecision, plus I was concerned "What if the Fae wanted to change to another one taking the lead to act as my guide, what then?" I had an image of the type of wings I felt was my guide's, but knew I couldn't do the art of that. The card I drew was "The Master Maker"being reversed. Without a direct interpretation of the book, most if reading reversals would think "Here she is preplexed about what to place on the card, so her enegry is being blocked and there is a real lack of creativity. What better card to show to her that her creative side had took a hike than drawing the master craftsman himself, "The Master Maker"? Well that interpretation did come to me after a short bit, as well as after the reading I read from the book too. From the book, the part of "being stuck in outworn ways just for the sake of tradition is another block to the art of the craftsman" that applied to this situation too. I knew I wasn't to have a fae image that was seen as being tradition, or even as Froud's. But from the first few seconds of seeing this card I heard/sensed the Master Maker telling me his meaning for this reading. I had never read of him or had drawn him prior to this reading. What he conveyed to me was "At the moment I want you to see and think of yourself as this one whom my foot is on. We are, as you see upside down. You are being blocked in this effort of your's within the God's eye. You have it all out of sorts in this regard! You need my help to open up your intuition to your guardian fae's spirit and to artistic creation." From time to time he talked more. Mostly he worked and played at doing the need, taking about fifteen to twenty minutes in all. I felt his feet massage my third eye. It felt strange and wonderful! The area begin pulsating as all the while I stayed looking, watching his card. At times he jigged a bit dancing, but mostly he stood as he is seen, however rubbing deep, grinding his one foot inward. I was sensing what was much like a pebble hitting upon water and seeing (but experiencing) the ripples of it. His foot caused waves to generate from my third eye to flow in a wash outward in ever expanding circles.

After this was over, I felt oddly both refreshed and drained. I didn't trust myself to be very active. It was near bedtime, but I went and sat in a chair in the living room read from the book reading his pages and more. I sat and thought over it all for a bit and then went on to bed.

In addition to all of this, I did get an answer as to what to have on my card. It wasn't what I expected I would have chosen, but it is a symbol for me. One that is personal and I have had in a material form for over a decade. That was good too, as it was easier to copy from. It isn't something used or known publicly. The symbol for me talks of truth/self-truth, aspirations, desires, spirituality and mostly about knowing my inner person. With this emblem any fae to be my guide would fit working within the predecent. Here while back I still thought of using some wings along with it and I asked on here how best to get a certain set of wings on the card. Now I am thinking it is best to keep it just as it is with the emblem.

Keslynn

I'm bumping this up because I'm interested in getting more people's thoughts. Do you use reversals when you read with the Faeries Oracle?

Personally, I haven't been using reversals at all, tarot or oracle. I've been able to intuit the general gist of the card. Maybe I'll try it anyway though..

For those who have used reversals, does it add a lot?

:) Kes

dolphinprincess

I go back and forth using reversals in my tarot decks.. but I have not used reversals with my Faeries Oracle (yet)...

Perhaps I just don't feel comforable bouncing the Faeries on their heads??? .. and since I try to read this deck intuitively, I think I often hear the correct message, regardless of how the card come up... When I do refer to the book, I try to read both the upright and reversed meaning - to see which feels right...

lark

Although at first I thought I wouldn't use reversals with the Faeries when they have come up reversed the book meaning has been so 'spot on' that I use them all the time now.

I use reversals with most of my cards except for the Fey and the World Spirit.
For some reason those two decks never work as reversals for me.

Melissa`

Well I haven't used reversals with my faeries yet. I haven't felt the need to do so yet.

However (a little off topic) I do the mush around in a pile method now for shuffling the cards so when they are straightened back up and laid out, some are reversed. Before turning them right side up so to speak, I look them over now in the reversed form. Looking at all the cards upside down helped me to see more faeries and faces than before.. I know its odd :D

~ Amaya