Hebrew letter Tarot correlations

Fulgour

Rusty Neon said:
Why not a Visconti-Sforza Tarot deck?
I would tend to agree with JMD, about using the Marseille pattern for this.
The Visconti-Sforza was created as an amusement for a wealthy nobleman.
We enjoy its beauty, and rare qualities as an artifact, but Viva Marseilles!

Rusty Neon

Fulgour said:
I would tend to agree with JMD, about using the Marseille pattern for this.
The Visconti-Sforza was created as an amusement for a wealthy nobleman.
We enjoy its beauty, and rare qualities as an artifact, but Viva Marseilles!

The esoteric aspects of the Visconti-Sforza imagery are not yet fully explored. Just because a work has been commissioned by a wealthy nobleman doesn't mean that the artist didn't insert esoteric symbolism and concepts, known or unknown to the commissioning nobleman. If one seeks, one will find. There are possibly Hebrew letter correlations in the Visconti-Sforza imagery. After all, such correlations have already purportedly been found by Mark Filipas for the Dellarocca deck, as well as the Marseille deck.

http://www.spiritone.com/~filipas/Masquerade/Essays/iota.html

Vive le Marseille, Viva Visconti-Sforza.

Pocono Platypus

which deck?

I have Rider-Waite. You are recommending the Marsailles, yes? I will look for it. The articles by Mark Filipas show extensive research -- what a Bibliography!

I am hopelessly syncretic.

I decided ( Who decided? ) that the Magician is one is Aleph, and the Fool is 22 is Tav.

Does that mean I lose friends? Have I joined a party? Can I switch later?

This study is a great pleasure.

Fulgour

There is a truly wonderful (and inexpensive) edition
of the Tarot of Marseille available in book stores now.
Thunder Bay Press ISBN 1-59223-138-1 ($12.98 US)

http://www.thunderbaybooks.com/detail.asp?ISBN=1592231381

Many people, myself included, have a great love for the
Rider-Waite (Smith) deck, so never have a worry there.

jmd

The simple reason I would first and foremost recommend a Marseille with regards to Hebrew letter correlations is that it appears to be intrinsically linked with that deck.

The Visconti decks display different and quite astounding geometrical correlations and perhaps have even incorporated therein some Gnostic heresies (as one of my friends seems to suggest in another place), but does not appear to reflect in any direct manner the letters.

Also, there is the additional complication in determining whether the Visconti even had twenty-two Atouts (major arcana), and a growing concensus, in the earlier days simply suggested by many, that has since become a more accepted view since Huck has made Autorbis's work known that the Visconti may only have had forteen, and later additions brought this to twenty.

If one is working with the Hebrew alphabet (or to be more precise the alefbeit), then a twenty-two Atouts set would at least, I would have thought, been desirable.

Rusty Neon

In light of Mark's aforementioned study on Dellarocca's Soprafino Tarot deck, that deck would also then have merit for such a study, as well as the Marseille.

Fulgour

Enjoy

Pocono Platypus said:
This discussion prompted me to review the Hebrew Primer. I will take more notice of the dagesh in the future. They are little trumpets, as you say. They didn't have smiley faces and emoticons back then -- or did they?
Aleph Mem Shin shine out like beacons, declarations of great significance.
So too, Beth Kaph Pe are clearly marked as signposts, so to be noted ;)

Pocono Platypus

Mem is for Mom

Mem is for Mom because it's round.
Shin is big and glorious, like wind and waving flags.
[a bit of free association]

Aleph is ineffable -- but that supports the traditional teaching that Aleph is what was before there was anything.

Fulgour

Aleph Mem Shin

If there were just ONE thing, it would be the same
as if there were ZERO things: Allness is absolute.
TWO holds up a mirror & says, now we are THREE.