XVI - La Maison Diev

Namadev

XVI and Apocalyptic Christian iconography

Hi,

Many things to say about all these posts.
Mainly two points.

1)The "cartouche" of the XVIth trump is : Maison-Dieu.
I undersand in the langage of birds "Maison (du] Feu".

Clearly, "la maison du feu des enfers" or Devil.
So, the XVIth is the "House of the Fires of Hell" of the XVth, the Devil.

"Les grands symboles chrétiens ne sont pas oubliés : laa Mort, le Diable, la Maison-Dieu (QUI A QUELQUE CHANCE D'ETRE EN FAIT "LA MAISON DU FEU", c'est à dire du Diable!), le Jugement Dernier"
Thierry Depaulis
Tarot, jeu et magie
Le tarot, création d'artiste?

2)For those who understand that the iconography of the TdM is linked to a Christian apocalyptic understanding relative to the Last Jugdment and Resurrection, then it becomes evident that some of the "Tarot" s imagery is alike a visual "Cathedral". The Minchiate is also an illustration fo such a Christian "bestiaire". These correlations aren't ambiguous examinating the Cathedral of Chartres for example.If you are interested by this thread, then go on LTarot photo album where I've uploaded some photos of Chartres's cathedral and other abbayes or basilics of the South of France gathered by Jean Claude Flornoy or myself.

Alain

Namadev

About Chartres .
One can find a Pythagoras of the XIIth century with his enigmatic
tablet.
The Signs of the Zodiac.
The Theogonal Virtues: faith, charity,humility and esperance
The Cardinal virtues : Strengh, Prudencia, Justice and Temperance
Christ in Majesty.
Etc
"Dans les voussures, on peut voir les Vierges folles et sages
(deuxième cordon), les vertus cardinales - force, prudence, justice,
tempérance - (troisième cordon, à gauche) et les vertus théologales -
foi, charité, humilité, espérance - (troisième cordon, à droite)."

Doesn't this medieval imagery present analogies with the TdM's
iconography?

When debating with Lothar on this topic, he suggested to inquire on the Minchiate 's origin : everything is there as in Chartres's iconography.

This suggests to study not only the Cary sheet unknown origin but also, along with the traditionnal Milan, Ferrare, Bologne connections , the more specific Florence and Lucques remaining productions

The "religious" ordering of the Trumps seems relevant to the Apocalyptic Christian ideology

http://architecture.relig.free.fr/jugement.htm

A study of the ntion of the Last Judment and the Devil.

Alain

jmd

The iconographic similarity between the Tarot de Marseille (especially) and various more or less standard depictions on numerous late mediaeval cathedrals, abbeys and churches is indeed striking.

Where I have shifted my personal view over the last few years is in my increased confidence that the sculpted rock representations upon Christian buildings were far more influential in the development of Tarot than previously thought. Here I'm suggesting more than mere common ancestry, but rather causal connection.

If, Alain, you wish to add to LTarot archives the attachment I added to my last post, please do so...

I am currently also working on compiling and analysing such correlations, and would welcome any hints not already mentioned either here or in posted threads...

Namadev

With pleasure.
But which attachment exactly? The Tower of the Dodal?

Alain

jmd

The Abbey de St Pierre representation of the falling of a Tower as the Hopy Family enters Egypt (bottom of page four).

Namadev

Hi,

OK.

I noiticed a few years ago the same "Fuite en Egypte" at the Abbaye of Moissac near Toulouse, also on the road of St Jacques of Compostelle.
It is a "scene" unorthodox belonging to an apocryph gospel...

Interesting indeed.

Alain

Ross G Caldwell

jmd and Alain - those two reliefs are the same! Is there a Chapel of St. Pierre at the Abbey de Moissac?

I think the falling image might refer to the story that the idols fell from their pedestals when the Holy Family entered Egypt.

This is memorable since I live in Béziers, and the Governor of Hermopolis in the story in the Gospel of Pseudo-Matthew (called the Infantia Salvatoris also) is named Aphrodise. When the idols fell, Aphrodise believed in Christ. The legendary patron saint of Béziers is St. Aphrodise, and medieval legend held that it was the Aphrodise of the Infancy Gospel, who evangelized Béziers and was martyred here in the year 79.

I live on the Place St. Aphrodise, right behind the Cathedral built in his name from the 9th to the 13th centuries (the previous building having been destroyed during Charles Martel's wars with the Moslems in the 8th century).

Ross