Way of the Horse ~ 15 ~ Vigilance

hopena

LOOKING ONLY AT THE CARD, NOT USING THE COMPANION BOOK

1. Describe the card

The colouring looks black and white, but there's a hint of pink/grey/purple in the light background, fading to shadows. My immediate thought was that the horse looked alert to danger, as though it has just heard or witnessed something, or felt trouble lurking nearby (the mane flying to one side, eyes wide, tail flying in the same direction as the mane, nostrils flared, ears up).

2. Describe the emotional atmosphere of the card. What emotions does the card evoke in me?

I feel fear, tension, defensiveness - wanting to run, but ready to put up a fight if necessary.

3. What would a physical manifestation (in you) of this card be? (i.e. tingling, gasping, smiling, headache, makes me want to run, etc.)

I think I already described this above... this, again, makes me wish that others were writing about these cards - I think that they convey more emotion than I can describe. I'm not a writer.

As I said above, the physical manifestation would be tense/taut muscles, clenched teeth, potential headache and dizziness, since that's one thing that stress does to me, but an inability to sit still or fall asleep (unless I was just shattered, and knew that somebody else would be there to take over for me). My heart would most likely be pounding, and there would be a heaviness/sense of dread that precedes the anxiety; adrenaline would be pumping, and the slightest thing could start it flowing again, even if I temporarily relaxed (I've had that experience when I've finally started to relax, only for one small thing to have me flying up in a panic, and running outside or to someone for reassurance).

4. What are the mental characteristics of the card?

I'm not sure, because it could go either way. Sometimes there can be a series of thoughts related to trauma - memories that cloud everything else, and shut out the rest of the world. On the other hand, it could leave me intensely focused in the moment, scanning the area for anything remotely dangerous, checking in with my physical senses to see what's showing up there. Anger is there - that readiness to fight, if need be, along with some fear.

5. What are the spiritual characteristics? (if any)

I'm not really sure. For that, I'm going to have to read the chapter in the book. Maybe the light coming in from the right side, is the knowledge having been passed to the horse, that something is amiss.

6. What I find most appealing about the card

The strength conveyed by the horse. It's beautiful, even in its fear. I don't know if that will make any sense - the card is bright and it looks as though it wants to run, but it won't automatically bail.

7. What I find least appealing about the card

Just the fear, and potential danger. I fear for the horse, even if it doesn't need me to - even if it's fine.

(Geez, can you tell that I have a lot of experience with anxiety? ;) )

I was trying to think of some music to help me with the card - to help me get more into it emotionally, and this was the first song to come to mind, although I'm sure there's something more appropriate out there. Maybe Enter Sandman would be better (it might be a little heavy, for what seems the book says is a state of not knowing whether or not there's something to fear); or the theme to Halloween. I'm feeling supremely bad at this. ;) But enjoying the music.

I'm going to post this and then continue to edit, in case my computer restarts on me. I don't want to lose my writing again.

hopena

Nature's Warning System
Anxiety Associated with Change
Fear or Vulnerability

The white horse at the edge of the herd catches wind of possible danger. Is it time to flee? Flight? Or relax and go back to grazing?

The Gift

Fear is nature's warning system, protective intuition that, if used intelligently, can help you safely navigate unknown territory on your way to greener pastures.

The Challenge

Because most people are conditioned to see fear as weakness, learning which fears to heed and which fears to overcome can be confusing. The key lies in determining whether you're dealing with a legitimate external threat or an internal threat: a challenge to your self-image or belief system.

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m113/hopena_2006/Way of the Horse Cards/010.jpg

Now that I look at the card again, I see plain terror. It's evident - those eyes. :(