"Pimp my Rider!"

jackdaw*

Ooh, very nice.

Hahaha ... as though you were a wildlife photographer!

nisaba

Still pimping my Rider, so to speak. She's starting to look like a formerly glamorous but now slightly worn-out whore, with deepening areas where I'm piling on extra layers of glitter, irregular gold borders, and the painted-gold edges to replicate gilding looking like real gilding gone shabby and old. Not in the least glamorous, but I'm starting to really, really love the look. The moisture from the paints is starting to warp the cards slightly, and the deck has tripled in weight and doubled in thickness (so far). Love it.

I have the same problem AJ has with photography. It just doesn't show, and I don't own a scanner.

Next, I might try to take my gold acrylic plus a top-layer of my gold glitter-paint, and fix up the Judgement Angel's trumpet where Pamela made a hash of it!

shadowdancer

well, I have gone back a few pages on this thread and noticed there are not many piccies.

Come on everyone.... SHOW US WHAT YOU HAVE :D

I really, really am interested in seeing these amazing creations, inspirations etc.

Davina

jackdaw*

Love the description, Nisaba! Sounds very interesting ...

I've finally got the hang of this glitter racket, and the Minchiate is looking way better. The colours in the glitter are actually kind of subtle. You see that it sparkles, but not what colour it sparkles in, if you catch my drift, except in certain lights.

Except the red, which is very red. So I'm more sparing with it except for bits like the fire in the Tower and Fire cards.

nisaba

jackdaw* said:
Except the red, which is very red. So I'm more sparing with it except for bits like the fire in the Tower and Fire cards.
Sounds wonderful. I like strong colour, judiciously used.

Yeah, it's a shame how poorly my cards are photographing. There's not a one that I'd upload. Scans mean throwing myself on a friend's mercy, and she's put-upon enough at it is right now.

Some time.

AJ

nisaba said:
. The moisture from the paints is starting to warp the cards slightly, and the deck has tripled in weight and doubled in thickness (so far). Love it.
One of the things I tried on my sample deck was crackling. It is applied like paint but when dry leaves a lovely crazed old paint/old teapot look. Like Nisaba has found, it had enough moisture taking long enough to dry swell the card out in that spot.

The nice thing about nail polish when chosen carefully is the glitter is so fine, even using a lot of it doesn't change the feel/weight/thickness of a deck at all.

I've decided on my third deck, the Connolly Feng Shui, wonderful vibrant colors.

edited a little later...
the Feng Shui is an inspired choice, and I'm debordering it while I'm at it. USGamesSystems decks are a little long for my reach.
This is SO much fun!

Kissa

wow ppl, it is way to quiet in here!!!

I am still fighting my tarot faith crisis but DH talked me into keeping my decks, he said I might regret getting rid of them later and I know he's right, as it has happened in the past already.

I am planning the next project, the Light & Shadow Tarot... I started trimming it some years ago and stopped for some mysterious reason. Yesterday I took it out and got reminded a couple of annoying things...
1) because the images are different sizes, I had to trim according to the back image and not the front...
2) the deck is not so RWS standard that you would recognize immediately the card, so I need to write the titles somewhere on the place left
3) then why trim it and remove the titles in the first place, you idiot, you might ask... ---> the original size is HUGE. There is no way I can manipulate the original deck, the width, the length, it's just flipping huge!!!
4) i just discovered a new deck (can't remember the name) where only some items in the card were colored and the rest was kind of grayscale. Was thinking of trying to fill in some of the cards areas with fancy colors, but only little touches of color, to keep the b&w look.

5) AJ's crackling vernish sounds sooo interesting. Must check which deck would make a nice victim...
AJ: did you try it only on some areas of the image or you actually covered the whole card, making it look old?
ETA: just read carla's thread in Decks and how she needs a "fix". The vernish look would ft the Harmonious deck, I think...
Now back to my collection list to find the ideal victim, if I can get my hands on cracking vernish...!!! AJ, I blame you 100% for this, whatever your chicks might say about it ;-)

AJ

I used the crackle on my test-sample-here-first-idiot deck, a freebie playing card pack. I used the crackle on the uniform of one of the court cards. I think it might be interesting if you were to cover a whole card, if you were going to frame it or something, but it isn't a good choice for primping at all.

I'm using my primped Llewellyn this week, it is one of my favorite decks anyway, but I'm enjoying it so much with the extra bling. Thanks for getting me started on this.

Sounds like the deck you are working on is a FrankenDecken to begin with, cut away :) Use it for an oracle.

AJ

About your crisis of faith. You know you don't have to READ cards, there is no law. I know lots of people who consider themselves rabid quilters. They have multi-thousand dollar sewing machine, closets stuffed with fabric, shelves lined with quilt books and they have never completed as much as one quilt. I even know a quilt book author whose book is in it's ninth or 10th reprinting...who has never made the quilt she is flogging.

I figure non-doers for want of a better word are probably more necessary to the craft than to doers, they are the auxiliary members who do just as much to keep the craft fresh and going forward as we quilters are.

Poorly explained but unless you Hate your cards and they make you uncomfortable, continue to get your joy from them in different ways like this. You can enjoy your friends here without reading, you can study the historical side if you like, you can make a hobby of collecting forums even :)

Please don't throw away the baby with the wash water, you are an important part of the whole here, and we wouldn't be whole without you and your deck profile. Each patch in the quilt is important...and that includes thee and me.

I've been a rabid passionate quilter for 40 years now. Anyone who walked into my house would know this immediately. But twice I've gotten in a funny mood, once for a year and once for two, that I didn't touch a needle once. When I came back to it I was so rejuvenated and full of ideas and enthusiasm. Sometimes we have to stop to refill the well as Julia Cameron says...refill your well but don't get rid of your decks!

Rasa

I have bought a selection of colors of pearlized nail polishes, and have just begun pimping my Mermaid Tarot with them.

So far, I've just put little touches of a pearly white on bubbles and white objects in the deck. The suit of pentacles are bubbles, but now they look like shiny pearls, which I love. I am trying to paint it on really thin, so it doesn't hide the art underneath, but it is hard to do that and apply it evenly.

This is trickier than I thought!
I am trying not to have too much texture, but the nail polish dries quickly and then is kind of clumpy, so I have to go fast but try to be neat. :S