Printing a copy of the Greenwood

FLizarraga

I'm shocked this forum is encouraging and supporting copyright infringement

Permission was given by the artist.

Yes, as specified at the beginning of the thread. Folks here at Aeclectic, from Solandia down, are very mindful of copyright issues. It's good that you worry about it, but the Greenwood situation is a little sui generis.

manandcards

I would also like to emphasise that permission was given by the artist, moreover, she has included descriptions of all the cards (which can be used as an online LWB).

I can't see primary (e.g. from the artist directly) evidence of that, which is why I'm uncomfortable.

Laura Borealis

Your concern is a good thing; copyright is an important issue and it's so easy for it to be violated. But I respectfully believe, in this case, your concern is misplaced.

My understanding is that Cheska Potter, the artist, had a profound change of spiritual beliefs and therefore wishes to distance herself from the Greenwood Tarot. I don't know any more than that, and for the sake of her privacy (which she appears to value quite highly) I personally will leave it at that. It is also my understanding that she has given permission for the artwork to be shared for personal use only, as discussed here in this thread and elsewhere on AT.

I do try to keep a close eye on this thread. If I am asked by Solandia, by the publisher, or by Cheska to take the files down, I will do so immediately. I'm sure Mi-shell would do the same with her files.

I hope that helps with your concerns. :livelong:

midsummermagic1111

I haven't read this entire thread but I've had custom cards printed at PrinterStudio.com and they do an amazing job. The linen is the best in my opinion. I tried to find a drop ship US company with the same quality with no avail. (Apologies if someone already mentioned it or this is irrelevant.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gregory

I haven't read this entire thread but I've had custom cards printed at PrinterStudio.com and they do an amazing job. The linen is the best in my opinion. I tried to find a drop ship US company with the same quality with no avail. (Apologies if someone already mentioned it or this is irrelevant.)

I think this might NOT be OK with the Greenwood. It is technically still copyright, but Chesca did give permission for people to print it for their own personal use. I doubt if an outfit like Printerstudio would be safe enough. I think you'd need to run with Kinkos or somewhere less "distant".

And remember - it is NOT OK to send it off somewhere with the original titles on. Add your own - but DON'T scan a deck and print commercially, like.

delinfrey

I must agree with Gregory here. The images are shared without titles, you must put your own on (I chose to ink them). And just to be sure, I just had them printed out on A3s (just like the files), had them cut, and will laminate them. Commerically printing the files infringe, in my opinion, what the artist had in mind.

midsummermagic1111

You don't have to share publicly..? You can have just one set printed. The quality is SO much better. I make my own piano teacher props and have tried a lot of places. Just saying if you're gonna print it what's the difference? I think it's honoring the art to have it nicely done - especially if it's out of print and you obviously expect to use it not sell it. IMO. Beautiful imagery from what I've seen on the online version.

Luna's Crone

Her book thats available on line has the titles of each card and discusses each card.

Staples prints decks too.

gregory

You don't have to share publicly..? You can have just one set printed. The quality is SO much better. I make my own piano teacher props and have tried a lot of places. Just saying if you're gonna print it what's the difference? I think it's honoring the art to have it nicely done - especially if it's out of print and you obviously expect to use it not sell it..
Honouring the art - sure. BUT If you print it off with the titles you ARE in breach of copyright. The permission we have to print - from the artist - was for printing the images WITHOUT the titles. Don't ever forget that. She doesn't have the right herself to allow them to be printed with the titles on. Don't abuse her kindness by doing that.

It is NOT OK to go around printing decks - even OOP decks, for your own use - without permission of the copyright holder.

Her book thats available on line has the titles of each card and discusses each card.

Staples prints decks too.
I don't know about YOUR Staples, but ours won't print anything unless you can prove you hold the copyright. I actually ran into difficulties printing out copies of music I had written myself, for a group to use to sing. And while I was annoyed - I absolutely support them.

I hope it is indeed her work you are looking at. She did indeed post her own, but the other is also out there in chunks.