subsequent readings on same subject with same reader produce different results

BlueSun

If you were on Skype, the reader probably saw that your attention was distracted when you googled, even if she couldn't see your computer screen. Even on the PHONE, I can tell if the other person is distracted doing something else, and I'd say, "What are you doing?!"

As for doing readings frequently, my experience generally has been that the cards were consistent even if I asked the same questions about the same topic several days in a row. (Well, I actually reframe my questions about the same topic or ask about different facets of a situation regarding the same topic. The cards that show up are not exactly the same cards, but are other cards that reflect the same theme of the previous answers.)

If you have doubts about this reader, I'd go to someone else and start over.

nisaba

need advice. I am very bothered and would appreciate if someone could share if they have encountered a similar situation - where subsequent readings with the same reader on the same subject produced different answers as the first. Which answer did you take? Which one came true?

Are you allowing *time* between each reading to allow things to unfold, and are you doingthe work implied in every reading to help better your circumstances. or are you just drifting, hoping that having a reading will make things happen?

Even the best, most optimistic reading doesn't make things happen for you - you have to go out into the world and work for it.

For example, I read for a university student once who was very concerned about academic results. The first reading looked brilliant, and I said so, also underlining that they needed to keep doing what they were doing. They came back a while later, and asked again. This time it was all anguish-cards. I asked about the amount of preparation they'd been doing. The reply I got was something like "Well, you said everything was fine, so I don't need to study and I'm spending more time drinking with my friends." I scolded them, and told them exactly what I told you, that a reading doesn't make things happen, it just shows you if you're on-track for a good outcome with your behaviours or not, and sent them away to study. Next time I saw him, he told me he'd only a couple of weeks between that reading and his exams, but he'd studied night and day, and got through.

It's about what YOU DO as a RESULT of the reading, not about the reading itself, as to what result you get.

AnemoneRosie

When we first started the reading, she didn't want to open her cards and tried to be a normal counsellor by giving advice based on what i told her. This went on for about 10-15mins, all of which she was charging me. I had to tell her, can we find out what the cards say?

But it's alright. You are right. I no longer feel comfortable with her and thereby am unlikely to speak to her again. I also found her calculative to the minute.

I would hate this, if someone did it to me. I'd not go back. In fact, when I'm reading for my paying clients I don't put on my counsellor hat until they've had multiple opportunities to provide me with feedback. (And I'm training to be a professional counsellor, so one might think that it would be my default position). Counsellors don't just dish out advice. In fact, I don't even call that position in a spread "advice" because I find it so presumptuous - who am I to give advice to someone that I barely know, when they know themself so much better? Also, it comes across as being a scam - you're paying for a service wherein cards are read. So she is in the business of sticking to the cards.

I agree with you that it's very calculative behaviour. Good for you for creating this resolution of being unlikely to speak to her again! It sounds like a great plan.

SunChariot

Well, the spooky part is she suddenly asked that when i was googling her.

Re not letting your own opinions affect a client's reading, she spent the first 20 mins listening to me and giving her advice before she opened the cards, saying she's a relationship counsellor. i was actually rather flummoxed. I wanted the cards to tell me, not to listen to her practical advice as a counsellor. So till now, i am wondering if her own opinions clouded the reading.

Thanks so much for your input, Babs. I really appreciate it. You are soo patient and knowledgeable.

May i ask if you could kindly respond to my query re strength. I really am not sure what to make of it. Like judgement, it's a recurring card.
Sure would be happy to answer anything you want me too But I lost track of what you wanted to know about strength, or the Strength card. But if you clarify I would be happy to answer.

Babs

Grizabella

Things do change over time, so I'd be inclined to think that since your last two readings were pretty much alike, I'd tend to believe the most recent ones.

If I were doing a reading with Skype where I could see my sitter, I'd notice it if they were distracted and doing something online during the reading instead paying attention. I don't see anything unusual about that, really. A Skype reading is close to what would happen in a face-to-face reading.

When looking her up online and seeing a negative review accusing her of being a fake, I'd tend to take into account that reading the cards is a very competitive job. The review could have just been left by another reader trying to undermine her practice. Or maybe a customer who was feeling spiteful over something they didn't like about her reading for them decided to try to get revenge.

As a customer, you do have the right to change readers if you're not confident in the readings you're getting from her. You might want to just switch to another reader. :)

Noob

Hi grizabella

Thanks for your input. Apologies for missing this.

However very little time actually lapsed between the readings.

Having said all these, I realised I have been feeding this relationship too much negative energy that the guy probably feels very oppressed me. I need to take the focus off this issue and focus on myself.

But re the reader, since you are a professional reader yourself and have far more experience in tarot, can I ask for your opinion?

Is it possible that one reader who is very accurate for someone else might not accurate for you? While another reader who is all wrong for a friend, might prove to be accurate for you.

thanks for sharing your opinions.

Noob
Things do change over time, so I'd be inclined to think that since your last two readings were pretty much alike, I'd tend to believe the most recent ones.

If I were doing a reading with Skype where I could see my sitter, I'd notice it if they were distracted and doing something online during the reading instead paying attention. I don't see anything unusual about that, really. A Skype reading is close to what would happen in a face-to-face reading.

When looking her up online and seeing a negative review accusing her of being a fake, I'd tend to take into account that reading the cards is a very competitive job. The review could have just been left by another reader trying to undermine her practice. Or maybe a customer who was feeling spiteful over something they didn't like about her reading for them decided to try to get revenge.

As a customer, you do have the right to change readers if you're not confident in the readings you're getting from her. You might want to just switch to another reader. :)

Grizabella

Anything is possible, of course. But I think if you were happy and felt her first reading about this was accurate, then disputed and doubted the negative ones, you might want to give that some more thought. Exactly why did the positive reading please you so much and then what points brought up in the negative readings caused you to consider them negative and maybe even malicious and untrue? :)

Another point is that if you have a reader do a past, present and future on your main question, you can use that to determine how spot on the predictions about the future will be. If a reader hits a clinker on the past and/or present, then chances are they might be wrong about the future or "advice" issue, too. :) When I was new to the cards, I didn't think the past and present (especially the past) was of much use, so I'd just skip those two positions and go for the gusto to read what the future would hold. It didn't occur to me that the past and present positions would be very valuable in helping to understand the whole issue in the future position and I didn't realize the past and present could be a good means of determining whether the reader was probably right about the future prediction. :)

While I'm at it, let me also say that finding a reader you trust is a very valuable resource. No matter whether the reader has positive or negative things to say, when you find a reliable reader and then stick with them through all the ups and downs they see in the cards for you, you're building a relationship that's solid and trustworthy. You know they have your best interests at heart and that the advice they see in the cards for you is just that---advice from the cards----not tainted by personal issues. If you jump around reader-to-reader all the time, you don't build that mutual respect and trust and therefore you can't really depend on what kind of reader they really are or how reliable their readings are overall.

Noob

Thanks for your input, grizabella. I am about to board a plane, so will reply more tomorrow!

Anything is possible, of course. But I think if you were happy and felt her first reading about this was accurate, then disputed and doubted the negative ones, you might want to give that some more thought. Exactly why did the positive reading please you so much and then what points brought up in the negative readings caused you to consider them negative and maybe even malicious and untrue? :)

Another point is that if you have a reader do a past, present and future on your main question, you can use that to determine how spot on the predictions about the future will be. If a reader hits a clinker on the past and/or present, then chances are they might be wrong about the future or "advice" issue, too. :) When I was new to the cards, I didn't think the past and present (especially the past) was of much use, so I'd just skip those two positions and go for the gusto to read what the future would hold. It didn't occur to me that the past and present positions would be very valuable in helping to understand the whole issue in the future position and I didn't realize the past and present could be a good means of determining whether the reader was probably right about the future prediction. :)

While I'm at it, let me also say that finding a reader you trust is a very valuable resource. No matter whether the reader has positive or negative things to say, when you find a reliable reader and then stick with them through all the ups and downs they see in the cards for you, you're building a relationship that's solid and trustworthy. You know they have your best interests at heart and that the advice they see in the cards for you is just that---advice from the cards----not tainted by personal issues. If you jump around reader-to-reader all the time, you don't build that mutual respect and trust and therefore you can't really depend on what kind of reader they really are or how reliable their readings are overall.

Barleywine

One of the main reasons I only do face-to-face readings is that I want to know as little as possible about the question until the cards "speak their piece." I want a kind of "communion" to occur between the sitter and the cards while shuffling and cutting, and then I read what the sitter "induced" into the cards with as little personal bias on my part as possible. I tell sitters to concentrate on what they want to know while handling the cards - whether it's a specific question, an "area-of-life" focus or just a wide-open general impression of the future - but don't tell me what it is. Sitters with highly personal matters on their mind appreciate this, even if bits of it do emerge later in the reading.

This approach gives more "ownership" of the reading to the sitter. It's harder for the reader to zero in on the right angle but wonderful for intuitive insights that arise directly from the cards, many of which come during the course of dialogue with the sitter. I consider tarot an interactive art, not a monologue. In this sense, then, different cards can offer different perspectives on the same situation at different times without being contradictory, as long as the reader has the skill to synthesize it seamlessly.

Noob

Hello everyone, my deepest apologies for taking so long to reply

After I had returned from my trip, I was holed up in bed for two days out of sheer fatigue.

I had a quick look through all the detailed feedback from everyone and will sit down properly to read and absorb this weekend.

I have much to learn and the wealth of info out there shared by all of you far more learned and experienced is much appreciated.

I am very much touched and humbled by everyone'/ willingness to teach and share.

More later.

Xoxo