How do I get my new tarot cards to "work" for lack of a better word?

SunChariot

I have these new tarot cards, but I feel like they aren't working for me. I have tried to do readings with them, and they aren't working, for lack of a better word. Is this possible? What can I do to get them to work for me or connect to me?

It is very possible. There are some decks that don't work for certain readers. It's not the same deck for each reader, but I think we all of us have decks that just don't read for us.

I don't think you can make it work. You can try again, but it either will work or not. Usually it's a basic incompatibility between the way you naturally think and understand things and the way the deck (deck's creator) things and explains things through the imagery. IMO, it tends to mean the gap between the 2 is too large. The way you think is not meshing with the way the deck thinks. Just as there are some people we naturally understand better than others. Decks are like that too.

If it doesn't want to work again next time you try you may have to admit you are not compatible (at least not right now) with that particular deck. In which case there are 2 otpions. Trade it away or wait a while. I have had 2 decks in the past that would not read at all for me when I got them. I put them away in a drawer and years later they worked find again. I guess I had to "grow into them", in some sense.

Babs

Magrataya

I put them away in a drawer and years later they worked find again. I guess I had to "grow into them", in some sense.

Babs

That is exactly what I would advise you to do if even after spending time with the deck, you two don't "click". I've had it happen with several things (tarot decks, clothes, accessoiries, you name it) that just came into my life at a certain point in time when there was actually no space for them and I had no use for them. But then, the right moment came and exactly this thing fit the situation as though it had been waiting all this time. Maybe your deck's moment will come someday :)

Redfaery

One thing I like to do if I'm not connecting with a deck is to do silly, lighthearted readings. Like, I'll ask it to summarize the plot of a famous play or novel. I asked one deck to tell me what "Hamlet" was like. I drew the 10 of swords.

Nemia

Oh yes, Redfaery! I train my Lenormand muscles with readings for Scarlett O'Hara and Melanie Wilkes, I'm sure they'd like to have a tarot reading from time to time, too :)

Citrin

I find that sometimes the artwork, even though we find it esthetically pleasing, might not connect with our soul and intuition, and thus makes it hard to get really good messages from it. This was the case for me with the Raven's Prophecy. I loved the art, and the guidebook, but could not get any deep messages from it, just shallow short ones.

Sometimes for me I've found that the timing is not right. I've had to take breaks from new decks that I've discovered aren't giving me much, and then when I've re-visited them a couple of weeks/months later they work really well! So sometimes it might be worth putting the deck away and try again later.

SilverFirePrime

Personally, I've found that decks do not really work with me unless I have them stored in their original packaging. I need to find some fabric to wrap them in, and then either a cloth bag or box to put them in. Only then do I start to get readings that aren't absolute gibberish.