BOHEMIAN GOTHIC 4 Pentacles ... Let your imagination run wild!!!

Grizabella

Good grief, y'all! What's that matter with ya? I love this card as one of my most favorite cards in that deck! I love this old lady and I'd be delighted to go spend a month or two at her castle getting to know her and hear of all her travels and adventures. She's a fascinating, delightful old lady who is totally misunderstood by all you shivering, superstitious kids who like to give yourselves nightmares and scare each other with tales of them and who like to make up stories that make her into an ogre when all she really is is a lonely old woman who never has any company because the world has written her off as being used up and of no worth anymore and because little kids make up scary stories about her---and believe them and passed them on to their own children.

I want to hear where she got those rings. What alleyway market she found them in in some exciting, exotic place she traveled to with her wealthy but now deceased husband on their travels.

And I want to hear where she got that diamond necklace. What smoldering, dark-skinned lover gave it to her in Marakesh (sp?) one steamy night when he begged her to stay with him forever but (she didn't stay, of course, because she was already married) but she still dreams of him and wears the necklace often.

See? She's really a wonderful old woman. You're missing a lot! She's got no heirs so you might even be missing out on a fortune if she chose to bestow it on someone who cared enough to see her as a real person.

:D

Grizabella

Le Fanu said:
Like I said in the other thread, she makes me think of the mad aunt from Hell, wayward, cruel, making unreasonable (obscene?) demands before you get your inheritance.

As an image, it has always reminded me of this image by French photographer Brassai, who photographed the Paris underworld of pimps & prostitutes during the 1930s and he recounted how she used to frequent the same bar every night, dressed in luxurious but filthy clothes from another era, wearing incredible diamonds, moth-eaten furs, spoke to nobody and nobody knew where she came from. She was known as the Lady of the Diamonds until one day she simply vanished...

I'd like to get to know that old lady, too. I'd like to write both their biographies or help them write their memoirs. :) I'm serious!

Don't you want to know?

Lilija

Grizabella said:
Good grief, y'all! What's that matter with ya? I love this card as one of my most favorite cards in that deck! I love this old lady and I'd be delighted to go spend a month or two at her castle getting to know her and hear of all her travels and adventures. She's a fascinating, delightful old lady who is totally misunderstood by all you shivering, superstitious kids who like to give yourselves nightmares and scare each other with tales of them and who like to make up stories that make her into an ogre when all she really is is a lonely old woman who never has any company because the world has written her off as being used up and of no worth anymore and because little kids make up scary stories about her---and believe them and passed them on to their own children.

I want to hear where she got those rings. What alleyway market she found them in in some exciting, exotic place she traveled to with her wealthy but now deceased husband on their travels.

And I want to hear where she got that diamond necklace. What smoldering, dark-skinned lover gave it to her in Marakesh (sp?) one steamy night when he begged her to stay with him forever but (she didn't stay, of course, because she was already married) but she still dreams of him and wears the necklace often.

See? She's really a wonderful old woman. You're missing a lot! She's got no heirs so you might even be missing out on a fortune if she chose to bestow it on someone who cared enough to see her as a real person.

But the nails, the naaaaaiiils!!! *collapses into the fetal position*

Grizabella

What? You haven't seen the same nails on a million goth young people? What makes them so nasty on this old lady?

greatdane

Wow, Le Fanu

Great description. Thanks for posting other pic. You can practically smell her scent (cough, cough,). Reminds me of an actress from the thirties that played an old dowager.

GD

DaisyDragonfly

She's the dowager, the matriarch. She'd better be: she's done everything she can to claw her way up to the top of the family tree. Every weekend she's courted by the younglings of the family, whom she happily sends thither and hither on complicated family quests. Quiet words in distant ears; a promise of a pearl necklace... it doesn't take much.

As for her? She knows she's old. She knows to the penny the price she's paid to get where and what she wants. Deep down - amongst the games she can't help but play - she enjoys the presence of these bright young things, ignores the pain that they suffer her violet-scented presence for the promise of an eventual fortune. She was once them; she remembers too well the ache of ambition, the fierce hope of attainment. She knows the experience of this strife has sculpted her; she likes to think she's sculpting those young ones, too.

And sure, there's a price to pay. She's never the first to taste her soup, for example, and she keeps a wise woman on hand who knows every antidote to every poison. There are few she trusts; but those she trusts have earned it. Her comforts are many and - ironically - simple. Satin and diamonds at the dinner table, but in the quiet of her own chamber all she craves is the flicker of her own fire, the quiet loyalty of her dog and the relief that comes from a woolly dressing gown and fleece-lined slippers. After all she's known and done, she knows she can play the game - and keep her position - as long as she values the things she's learned truly matter.

And in the meantime? She wouldn't be anybody else. She'd never be young again. Hold onto your riches... but value your experiences more...

;)

Sanctum_Priest

Creepy

Sinduction said:
I think this one is the creepiest of the deck. She looks like the Queen to me and I don't want to know what she's up to I just want her to go away and stop creeping me out! :D

How do you go about deciding which card is creepier than the next with this deck? They're all equally creepy!

Lilija

Grizabella said:
What? You haven't seen the same nails on a million goth young people? What makes them so nasty on this old lady?

See my first post in this thread, hehe

Grizabella

Well, she had to eat the chicken that way, my dear. Her teeth weren't good enough and she was too shaky and her muscles too withered and weak to wield a knife and fork properly, you silly girl! :p

GadgetGirl

Grizabella said:

Awesome! This totally works for her too. I love this card!!