The Bohemian Gothic Tarot Study Group (The Dark Sister) 1st and 2nd editions

Grizabella

I love it, too. I thought it was different, but wasn't quite sure.

baba-prague

6 Haunted Days said:
Yes, Karen mentioned it's new cardstock, though I also believe she said the BBC Gold was printed on this same cardstock. Not sure that's right though, either way I have the BBC Gold...and the BG's cardstock feels weighter, thicker and more substantial to me than the BBC Gold.

I personally love this new cardstock!! It's weighter in your hand, and I love how it shuffles.....if you take the VR and BG and compare....there's quite a difference....it isn't slight.

Yes, it's a new cardstock - and yes, it's the same as on the BBCats Gold. Funny that it feels different - that could, I suppose, be psychological, or it could be some weird side-effect of the card stock being stored for half a year waiting for the BG to be printed - perhaps it's like wine, it improves with ageing ;). This stock is, in theory, the same weight (I will check that, but if there is a difference it's very slight) as all our other decks - but the "same" stock from a different supplier/maker does come out very distinct.

Greywoolfe

I love the personality of this deck. I've used it on a couple of occasions when I needed insight into sad or tragic situations, and it came across as warm, reassuring, yet open and honest. It tells you exactly what you need to know, but in a reassuring way, unlike the Thoth, which can be blunt and sometimes cold in the process. I suppose because of the romantic and tragic themes of the source materials, it's more able to empathise with someone who is experiencing sad things...

baba-prague

We experienced a difficult and sad year last year - while we were making the deck (a family death that set in train a lot of very hard stuff). I suppose that that is reflected in the way it came out - hopefully it's not a harsh deck, but rather one that confronts some of the things we often try not to have to see.

Greywoolfe

baba-prague said:
We experienced a difficult and sad year last year - while we were making the deck (a family death that set in train a lot of very hard stuff). I suppose that that is reflected in the way it came out - hopefully it's not a harsh deck, but rather one that confronts some of the things we often try not to have to see.
That's the beauty of the deck, the fct that it's open, honest but not harsh. It seems to say things in the way that a trusted relative or loved one would do- telling the truth, but not in a hurtful way, if you can see what I'm driving at.

Grizabella

Speaking of the card stock again, it's much stiffer than the VR so it's quite an experience to go from shuffling the VR to shuffling the BG. My VR is so broken in now that it's like shuffling fabric, almost. Very flexible and wonderful. I can't imagine the BG ever getting that flexible.

Djcooler

Anyone else think that the Hierophant is a little too sick and tired of his job in this deck. Looking at it, my first thought of him was that he was thinking "My God. Don't you ever listen? I tell you the same thing over and over and I'm sick of it!" It was my first reading with this deck last night and that was my first impression.

Teacups

I think the hierophant looks like I used to in school--slumped over, thinking "how much LONGER til the bell rings and I can get OUTTA HERE". Like he's stuck inside when he'd rather be somewhere else, his posture is a bit beaten down, resigned and a little resentful...

bumble bee

bohemian gothic tarot

I sometimes get in the mood for something a little dark so I picked up this deck. I love the blues and purples and the Victorian images. I have to say some things in it hit me in a way that makes me laugh. I need that when I am feeling depressed. Its moody but campy at the same time.

Alisa13

Better late than never?

Hello All
I've just joined the AT forums and have been enjoying reading everyone's posts.
I especially love the Bohemian Gothic Tarot and am thrilled to find a whole study group devoted to it.
I had a friend of mine bring a BG deck to a Tarot Study group I was in and I couldn't stop looking at the cards. They are hypnotic, beautiful and carry a lot of emotion and meaning with them. Truly artistic and heartfelt.