Renaissance Tarot (Jones / Lyle) - King of Wands

Sulis

Well here we see The Knight of Wands all grown up (I like to think that the princesses grow to become queens and the knights grow to become kings).

Like the knight he holds his wand in his right (usually active) hand but instead of the raised fist sign, his left hand is pointing towards the future.
He wears a crown and the flames which emerge from his tail seem bigger than the small flames surrounding the knight. I take this to be a sign of his maturity whilst the crown is a sign of his leadership qualities.
Once again we see the summer flowers at the top of the card but there are more of them.
Instead of the 2 lions there is a dragon with the king and their tails are entwined together.
Dragons are fiery but I generally think of them as representing Earth energies (ley lines are often referred to as dragons or the paths of dragons).

I see the Kings as being the earthy courts (once again differing with the Golden Dawn system that thinks as Kings as fire).
The kings are mature, they have taken the lessons of the suit they represent and can manifest the qualities of that suit in the real world.
The pointing finger shows him to be a leader, this is a guy who directs the action and tells others what to do.
He's successful (as are all of the kings), he still has the charm of the knight but it's a little more refined now; this guy is less likely to shout and stamp his feet to get what he wants but although he has his temper more under his control, it's still there so it's best not to get on the wrong side of him.
This guy is ambitious and expects others to be ambitious too.
Get involved in a project with this bloke and he expects you to put 100% of your energy into it (because he will).
He's the management type, I can see him on team building exercises doing his best to motivate those who work for him and I think his energy is infectious.

Attachments

• King of Wands.jpg
    King of Wands.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 199

Enchanted

Unlike the Knight of Wands, the Kings fire isn't fuelled by anything but himself, which to me makes his "fire" more controlled than the knight, it is all under his control. He can put it on high or a slow simmer!

I was a bit confused by the Dragon and as to why there tails were linked, but linking them to Earth energy as Sulis has, has made sense to me. His finger points upwards, yet the Dragon keeps him earth bound. The book says:

"When combined, these figures emphasise the links between intuition, which is fires attribute, and visable power in the external world."

I actually felt a little scolded by this image, maybe it is his pointed finger. He looks like he has something to show you, or point out to you, something important, that he has gleaned from his own experience. He has learnt the importance of really knowing and trusting yourself completely.

He looks to me like some kind of motivational speaker.

Sulis

Enchanted said:
Unlike the Knight of Wands, the Kings fire isn't fuelled by anything but himself, which to me makes his "fire" more controlled than the knight, it is all under his control. He can put it on high or a slow simmer!

I really like that :)
It may explain why the knight looks towards his right (back and towards the flames) whilst the king looks forward to the future (and away from the flames) too.
Nice insight :)

I see his pointed finger as a sign of leadership.
This guy is a born leader (as all the kings are I think), he's good at directing others and telling them what to do. He's a motivator and is good at using that charm and charisma that have been evident from his time as a page and as a knight.

WooMonkey

This is another beautiful card. I especially like the kings in this deck.

I see kings as air, and the image suggests that he has all the energy and drive of the knight, but there is a thought process involved also. He's not all impulse. He's taking time to point something out, perhaps explaining his plan to the dragon. :)