Newbie seeking comments on books

The Happy Squirrel

Hi There

Not sure if I should post this here, because they have significant historical discussions but they may contain discussions of other aspects of tarot as well (which I am interested in), but here goes:

I am looking at a set of books to start off with :) So, I read through the book recommendation thread in this sub-forum, took notes, and bought them :)

Then, I came across more books. From YouTube reviews and recommendations by tarot practitioners and tarot book writers, to accidentally stumbling upon some while looking for others.

I would love your thoughts or comments on them! They are:

(1) The Way of the Taroty by A. Jodorowsky
(2) The Fool's Journey by R. Place
(3) Jung and Tarot by Sallie Nichols
(4) Tarot Wisdom by Rachel Pollack
(5) Tarot and the Journey of the Hero by Hajo Banzhaf and Christine M Grimm

Thanks in advance!! :)

Richard

Jung and Tarot by Nichols is GOOD! I don't have any of the others.

The Happy Squirrel

Oh YAY! I was a bit worried :p

Huck

Hi There

Not sure if I should post this here, because they have significant historical discussions but they may contain discussions of other aspects of tarot as well (which I am interested in), but here goes:

I am looking at a set of books to start off with :) So, I read through the book recommendation thread in this sub-forum, took notes, and bought them :)

... :) ... so it seems, that you've enough money. You're not very informative about your interests. But, as I read, you already bought "Wicked Pack of Cards". That's indeed a good book, and if you like the style and the direction, there's a prolongation of this by two of the authors:
A History of the Occult Tarot
http://www.amazon.com/History-Occult-Tarot-Ronald-Decker/dp/1468308599

Both present the critical historical side of the Tarot development, "Wicked Pack" the French older story, and "Occult Tarot" the American/English story till modern times.
They naturally give references to texts, which they consider as important for the development.

Wicked Pack's topic starts around the year 1750 with "Etteilla"

For the earlier time of Tarot developmet there were ...

Michael Dummett, The game of Tarot (expensive, more precise in many aspects)
and
Stuart Kaplan, Tarot Encyclopedia I (less expensive, much pictures)
Stuart Kaplan, Tarot Enyclopedia II (less expensive, much pictures)

These books appeared in the 1980s, and all may be considered as rather good books, which don't disappoint the reader.
As Tarot research has proceeded, there was some considerable progress meanwhile. If you still haven't enough of Tarot History, when you've looked through all these books, you might find a lot of new material in the web about Tarot History, for instance in this part of the Forum. That's naturally a complex world.

If you've not so much interest in the Tarot History aspects, but prefer modern divination, the newest decks and trends etc. ... :) ... then better ask in another part of the Forum. Tarot Historians aren't very competent in the evaluation, what beginners in the theme might love or not.

The Happy Squirrel

... :) ... so it seems, that you've enough money. You're not very informative about your interests.

Nope :p I am just crap (sorry) with it :D

My interest is rather specific, I know what I am looking for, I just don't know where to begin looking for them, so I am in a grappling mode at the moment :D

But, as I read, you already bought "Wicked Pack of Cards". That's indeed a good book, and if you like the style and the direction, there's a prolongation of this by two of the authors:
A History of the Occult Tarot
http://www.amazon.com/History-Occult-Tarot-Ronald-Decker/dp/1468308599

Both present the critical historical side of the Tarot development, "Wicked Pack" the French older story, and "Occult Tarot" the American/English story till modern times.
They naturally give references to texts, which they consider as important for the development.

Have that on my list for next round :)

Wicked Pack's topic starts around the year 1750 with "Etteilla"

For the earlier time of Tarot developmet there were ...

Michael Dummett, The game of Tarot (expensive, more precise in many aspects)
and
Stuart Kaplan, Tarot Encyclopedia I (less expensive, much pictures)
Stuart Kaplan, Tarot Enyclopedia II (less expensive, much pictures)

Added them to my list for next round :) "The Game of Tarot" is in the secondary market and too expensive for now. It has to wait. But I am noting this book down.

These books appeared in the 1980s, and all may be considered as rather good books, which don't disappoint the reader.
As Tarot research has proceeded, there was some considerable progress meanwhile. If you still haven't enough of Tarot History, when you've looked through all these books, you might find a lot of new material in the web about Tarot History, for instance in this part of the Forum. That's naturally a complex world.

Noted. I am putting recent editions as priority. My revisit the others at a later date.

If you've not so much interest in the Tarot History aspects, but prefer modern divination, the newest decks and trends etc. ... :) ... then better ask in another part of the Forum. Tarot Historians aren't very competent in the evaluation, what beginners in the theme might love or not.

Modern divination made only a small portion of my current interest :) As for deck trends, I don't follow trends :D Tarot decks or otherwise :p I know what I like and I will look for them new or not, trendy or not :D

newlillith

I like anything by Rachel Pollack. Her voice is easy to read and informative. I refer to tarot wisdom constantly!

The Happy Squirrel

Thanks newlilith :) It's on its way :)

For now this is my list of 'historical' tarot books to read :) to add to the list already complied in another thread discussing 'non woowoo' and 'where to start / what to read' tarot history books :) Obviously, I have read NONE of them :p So I may not be accurate in my classification of some of these :) So this is not a 'precise' list :)

(1) The Way of the Tarot (A. Jodorowsky)
(2) The Fool's Journey (R. Place)
(3) Tarot and the Journey of the Hero (Hajo Banzhaf and Christine M Grimm)
(4) The Tarot: Mystery, History, and Lore (C Giles)
(5) Mystical Origins of the Tarot (P Huson)
(6) Esoteric Tarot (R Decker)

conurelover

On my list :) Thanks!!

If you are looking for history behind the trumps and the first decks from the late 1400s, early 1500s, this is the book for you.

I noticed you like Visconti-Sforza...this book mentions the cards A LOT.

Good luck. :)