The Pamela Colman Smith Centennial Deck review thread

greatdane

Just an fyi, Queen of Pents

I got mine thru Amazon (where I usually get new decks or used to) and the box was smoooshed. When I wanted a replacement (box, not even set, I figured they do enough biz with US Games to get me a box), they said not their policy as as long as what's IN the box isn't damaged, they won't replace as the box is likely to get damaged again. I could return the item for a credit (as I needed and wanted quickly, not really an option and it's a pain).

Since the box of this set to me IS part of the set, it mattered. Oh and when I ordered the set from Amazon, I emd them and ASKED they take particular care with shipping as this one was for a gift. I still got in smooshed. Yes, could have been a fluke, but if you care about the box, I would at least try to make sure they extra wrap it. Mine looked like monkeys had played with it and then tried peeling the paper from the cardboard. Stuart Kaplan at US Games was kind enough to send me a new box...overnight....

kalliope

I know I'm late to the game here, but I just finally got the PCS set, and I'm in love! :heart:

Like quite a few others in this thread, I always disliked the coloring of the standard RWS. The tone of the yellow and the blues really turned me off. I wanted to like it because of the familiar minor scenes, so I spent years trying to find a RWS clone I could deal with so I could finally internalize the meanings. It's what drove me to the Robin Wood, which worked for me to that end.

I tried again with the "Original" reprint set, and while I loved the aged look, I hated that the blue completely disappeared (like on the Hermit, or the Moon). And I didn't like the line drawings as much (I thought the woman on the 9 of Pentacles looked sort of dour, and the eyes of the angel on the Lovers were different, for instance). The Albano is fun, and I like it, but I find some of the details are obscured and the KPents to be just... crazy.

But now -- NOW -- I finally have the RWS I was always wishing for. I think the aged tone of the colors really complements the line drawings. It's muted, but the colors are still there, unlike in the Original set. I love the deepened blue of the Hermit. It's gorgeous. Whether it's an accurate reprint colorwise or not, I don't care. I also don't care if it's artificially, overly aged -- it's perfect for my aesthetics. I like that the cards feel like cards, and not plastic. They are on the thick and stiff side, though, but I'm hoping they soften up/break in as people have described. I think the backs are beautiful, too.

I'm going to get a second copy so I can trim one of them to make it smaller. I find smaller decks easier to handle. Obviously, from my gushing, I'm really, really happy with my purchase, and I don't know why I waited so long to buy it!

Now if only they'd print a pocket or miniature version with similar coloring... :D

-kalliope

greatdane

I Agree, Kalliope!

I LOVE the Pamela Commemorative Set! The cards really work well for me and it doesn't matter at all whether they are "authentically" aged or the backs are different (I LOVE these backs, I think they're much more pleasing than any of the originals I've seen). It would be great some day to have them in a pocket size, although I don't know if that will happen. I do also have the Uni pocket when I don't have much room to carry a deck, but it would be great to have the Pamela in a smaller size :).

GD

starlightexp

I adore this deck to. It helps to keep my mitts off my Pam A sitting tight in it's
little box in my collection. When I first got this deck I knew that I had found my 'one' and have not really used another deck since. This is my baby.. so much so that its starting to really show some wear. I'm picking up two back up sets this month because I'm going to need them...lol

greatdane

I so get it, Starlightexp!

I have her pic that came with the set framed and near my reading table. I feel it adds to my readings with the Pamela. There's something really special about this deck. Since Pamela is on another plane and most deck designers are still with us, perhaps that makes a difference, perhaps it's because her images really started it all for the RWS style, but I still think THIS deck is extra special.

FYI, I did a one card draw and just asked what she thought of this deck and set done in her honor....anyone want to guess the card that came up?

GD

Sophos

greatdane said:
I have her pic that came with the set framed and near my reading table. I feel it adds to my readings with the Pamela. There's something really special about this deck. Since Pamela is on another plane and most deck designers are still with us, perhaps that makes a difference, perhaps it's because her images really started it all for the RWS style, but I still think THIS deck is extra special.

FYI, I did a one card draw and just asked what she thought of this deck and set done in her honor....anyone want to guess the card that came up?

GD

The High Priestess?

greatdane

:) Sophos

GREAT GUESS, but no.....JUSTICE! How fitting is that? I turned over the card and just stared at it and thought, well, that makes sense she would see finally having this recognition as...justice! I sure do.

teomat

I'm thinking of getting this set (if it ever comes down in price that is), but I've got a question. Has the back of the deck also been 'artificially aged' too? In other words, does it have stark white borders on the back or have they been tea-stained too?

I had a look at a few scans and I think they have, but I just want to make sure (if anyone can oblige)...

Lela

teomat said:
I'm thinking of getting this set (if it ever comes down in price that is), but I've got a question. Has the back of the deck also been 'artificially aged' too? In other words, does it have stark white borders on the back or have they been tea-stained too?

I had a look at a few scans and I think they have, but I just want to make sure (if anyone can oblige)...
Yes, the backs are also given the same 'aged' treatment, no stark white borders. It really is a lovely deck and it was this version that finally convinced me to get a RW deck. You won't be disappointed. :)

teomat

Thanks Lela :). That was the last piece of the jigsaw - I'm now enabled!