Got My Scissors Out Again - this time, the THOTH gets it!

Little Baron

Inspired by 'xviiirkna's' comments in the 'carrying' decks thread, I am about to go at the Thoth like a crazed psychopath with a pair of scissors.

I have always had such a problem with those keywords and frames. Looking at the scan of the borderless cards brings the colours right out. The Hermit looks fantastic.

Maybe losing the frames may help me contact with the deck in ways I couldn't before. It's worth having a go, I suppose.

Will keep you informed.

Yaboot (nervous now that I have said I am going to do it, haha)

contrascarpe

Yaboot -

The only thing that makes ME nervous from your post are seeing the words "carrying" and "scissors" in the same proximity. Getting this nervous image of you running around your house with scissors.

Good luck with the project - I have had the Thoth for almost a year and cannot connect with it yet ....... perhaps you will inspire another member of my household to play with her scissors.

Dan

Little Baron

Hey Dan

I think that the words 'Yaboot', 'Gardener' and 'Scissors' all in the same thread, let alone, the same post, is a very dangerous situation, and one to be avoided at all cost.

I have just multilated the '9 of Swords' and have a little 'nude' card sitting next to me. It looks 'so' dinky. I can't believe how small it is. I suppose, looking at the Thoth, there are even borders bordering the borders. Takes up a lot of card. The hight has gone from 11cm to just under 9cm, so thats a lot sheared off. I have never had a deck that is considered 'mini' so maybe this will be one I can slot into my pocket, should we start to get along.

Yaboot

mercenary30

Mercenary30 turns his head. He just can't bear to watch scissors being applied to a tarot card...........................

contrascarpe

mercenary30 said:
Mercenary30 turns his head. He just can't bear to watch scissors being applied to a tarot card...........................

Yup, I was a non-believer, too. Then Gardener gave me my circumsized Rohrig and I was hooked. I am still mourning my poor little Haindl though.

And Yaboot - the combination of Gardener and scissors is ALWAYS frightening. I am learning to sleep with one eye open ;)

Dan

Gardener

Ah Merc,

It's really quite a lot of fun. The first few snips feel like torturing a puppy, you hate yourself, you can't believe you would do something so heinous, so disrespectful, so cruel! But then, ah then... The pictures leap free of the frames, jump up and kiss you on the nose with doggy gratitude. When complete, the decks shuffle quite nicely and the spreads are beautiful. I've got to get a plain white spreadcloth though, because without the borders, the images have a tendency to blend right into a busy fabric pattern.

I've finished the Rohrig and the Haindl. Still undecided on the Voyager, because the back design would be thrown off, I think.

Yaboot, I think this snip job calls for the larger size Thoth. I've already asked Dan to put one on this week's shopping list! Although the idea of a mini-Thoth does have a perverse appeal...

Little Baron

I used to be the same. I thought it would be terrible to take a pair of scissors to the cards, and there are some decks that I wouldn't. In the case of the Rohrig, I just couldn't get on with it as it was. In terms of the Thoth, if I hadn't got 'snappy' with it, it would spend another two years in the cupboard not being used. As the cards are being sheared, I am seeing them a lot clearer. The colours are brighter and I am looking at the images, rather than concentrating on the stuff around the outside. I always thought the courts were hard to get to know. Now I have to get to know who they are, since I have no words to tell me, lol.#

Yaboot

Little Baron

Hey Gardener

They do look 'veeerrrrryyy' small. But now, they look almost 'naughty' and a bit cheeky, rather than bland, which is how I viewed them before. I hated the 'Hanged Man' because it seemed incipid to me. The colours just bleed out now. I am feeling instantly attracted to the results.

Yaboot

Macavity

Mixed feelings

Having been through the process once (was enough!) with a straight-edge and a craft knife (mind your fingers) I think it impressed on me that it meant, in total, 4 x 78 actions! An additional disincentive was the fact that I got though about 95% of the process and the knife slipped - cutting a "chunk" out of... one of the cards. <phew> But these days, disgression is the better part of valour. But I sense it is a good idea in principal! :D

I think I'd like some more... "automated" way of doing things. (And one that produced a more uniform size!) At my workplace, we once had a card/paper cutter, which had a wheel which moved along a bar to make the cut. It was capable of quite remarkable accuracy - A bit like a Pizza cutter - but safer than a (finger) guillotine! })

Hmmmm I am still tempted to buy a replacement for that deck I "butchered" slightly ;)

Macavity

Jewel-ry

I can't believe I am reading this thread!!

Thank-goodness I don't own the thoth. That said, I have spent more time with the Rohrig since its been chopped. I love it and don't regret it at all!!

Go Yab ;)

:TAS