Thoth - List of Editions.

Lillie

Oh thank you both, that is really interesting.

I've not been on here recently, as I had spent too much time here last month and my ISP has been telling me I hardly had any hours left!
Nice to come back to find all this new info.

I wish I could see your decks and compare them with mine (distributed by weiser) I do not see a green cast in mine, and comparing them with my beautiful new green thoth, the older ones are considerably brighter in many cases. However I have not had the chance to compare them with the later (non green) cards. I might see it then I suppose.

My writing is in black. Though I saw a pic of a deck which was the same as mine and the lower writing looked blue! I didn't buy them so I can't say for sure, but it looked that way on the pic!

Has anyone bought the Urania Verlags deck yet?

Asher

Thanks, Lillie...

for pointing me in the direction of this thread.

As I mentioned in the thread called "Some Thoth Detective Work", I just came across a copy of the Llewellyn printing today.

White outer box with black lettering, gold inner box, no LWB but an OTO card, with the Dublin, CA address, saying "printed in the USA".

But my cards are, apparently, identical to Rusty Neon's description: pale powder blue borders (some darker than others, a few almost white), the 8 of Cups is missing the "8" (unlike Marion's deck), and no astrological symbols on the Majors.

Very interesting!

Asher

Alta

I was waiting for Rusty Neon to post. He got his deck from the States (as mentioned earlier), same edition as mine apparently, but still missing the 8 on the 8 of cups. So, there appear to be 2 Llewellyn editions printed in the USA, one has a missing 8 on the 8 of cups and one doesn't. Strange, eh? (hey Rusty, you said you were going to post about that!)

Alta

it just so happens if a person was to type "Thoth 1969" into a certain auction site right now.....

I got the 1973 version of this book, in a lot with my 1969 Thoth and 5 or 6 other Crowley books for $38US and a hand-written note telling me to be careful, the books were powerful. :)

Rusty Neon

Llewellyn U.S. deck / Llewellyn Hong Kong deck

Asher said:
As I mentioned in the thread called "Some Thoth Detective Work", I just came across a copy of the Llewellyn printing today.

White outer box with black lettering, gold inner box, no LWB but an OTO card, with the Dublin, CA address, saying "printed in the USA".

But my cards are, apparently, identical to Rusty Neon's description: pale powder blue borders (some darker than others, a few almost white), the 8 of Cups is missing the "8" (unlike Marion's deck), and no astrological symbols on the Majors.

Asher,

I received a Llewellyn U.S.-printed deck in this week's mail, to complement the Llewellyn H.K.-printed deck that I already have.

It would appear that my U.S. deck is almost the same as your U.S. deck in that my U.S. deck meets the description in your post, including the missing '8' in the 8 of Cups (like in my H.K. deck and unlike in Marion's U.S. deck).

My H.K. cards come on uncoated cardstock, while my U.S. cards come on thinner, shinier, lightly-coated cardstock. My U.S. cards are more underexposed, i.e., more colour saturated (sometimes too much so), than my H.K. cards. Compared to my U.S. deck, a larger percentage of my H.K. cards have the powder blue borders as opposed to lighter or whiter borders. Overall, I find my H.K. cards more visually appealing than my U.S. cards.

In my U.S. deck, there is one cardback - the 10 of Wands - that is 'defective'. The design, including the cross, was reproduced twice, with a shifting in registrations.

Asher, Marion, or anybody else with a Llewellyn U.S. deck ... Does your deck have a similar problem with one or more defective cardbacks?

Asher

Nope, none of my cards has a defective card back.

Also, many of the cards in my deck are also 'dark', especially when compared to more current printings. At first I thought my cards were uncoated, but after handling them more carefully, they do have a light coating (more on the front), but the cardstock is thinner than what I am used to.

Asher

Alta

No. After all of this discussion I went through the cards carefully this morning. No defective card backs, no missing numbers. I also think the cards are coated.

Lillie

No defective backs or missing numbers on mine either.
The cards have a light shiney coating. On the 9 of wands there are a coupleof patches where it is missing. The card beneath shows a grid type structure. As if they were woven.

Also the cards are quite thick, the deck is thicker than my 'green deck'.

If there is variation in the card thickness, would this effect how they fit in the box? or is there a variation in box size too?

Rusty Neon

1969 Llewellyn H.K. vs. 1969 Llewellyn U.S. printings

Lillie said:
If there is variation in the card thickness, would this effect how they fit in the box? or is there a variation in box size too?

If I remove the O.T.O. card from each deck and stack my U.S. cards next to my H.K. cards, I find that my H.K. cards are slightly thicker. The stack of 78 H.K. cards is one H.K. card thicker than the stack of 78 U.S. cards. However, the U.S. deck's O.T.O. card is significantly thicker than the H.K deck's, such that the stack of 78 + 1 U.S. cards is essentially the same height as the stack of 78 + 1 U.S. cards. Any difference in height between the two stacks of 78 +1 cards would be a small fraction of a card-thickness.

As mentioned in my earlier posts, my H.K. deck has the outer white box but is missing the inner gold box. However, I thought I'd check out box size variations anyhow ...

My U.S. deck's white box is slightly higher and slightly wider than my H.K. deck's white box. I'm able to get my 78 + 1 H.K. cards into the inner U.S. gold box, but I can't get the U.S. inner gold box into H.K. outer white box!!

I checked for relative width of the H.K. cards versus the U.S. cards. There is more width play when the H.K. cards are placed inside the U.S. inner gold box than when the U.S. cards are placed therein. Thus, it turns out that the U.S. cards are slightly wider than the H.K. cards. The H.K. inner gold box must have been slightly narrower and slightly less high than the U.S. inner gold box.

Oh my ... it's a sunny day outside and I'm doing this!!! RN ... get a life! :)

Postscript:

I still haven't gone outside for the sunshine. I have 'managed' to fit the U.S. inner gold box into the H.K. outer white box, but it still appears that the U.S. inner box would have been thicker and taller than the H.K.'s, especially as regards thickness, as I can see that the thickness of the U.S. inner gold box is stretching the H.K. outer box. Kids, don't try this at home. :)

Rusty Neon

Card borders - Llewellyn H.K./U.S.

With sunlight, it's quite evident that the blue borders of my Llewellyn H.K. cards are more robin's egg blue / more powder blue than even the bluest of the blue borders of my Llewellyn U.S. cards. The U.S. card borders, even the bluest ones, are greenish in contrast to the H.K.'s. The coating on the U.S. cards might be the reason, but I suspect that even without the coating, the H.K. card borders would still be more robin's egg blue.