Index: Pictures of Trimmed Decks

sapienza

Nickigirl said:
Be warned that the images on the backs don't line up with the fronts, so most cards have a bit of white edge around the backs. I'm going to just get out my sharpie and darken those up and then I think I'll be THRILLED with how this deck trimmed up!
This happened to the back when I trimmed my Cosmic. I never thought of just using a sharpie on the back. Thanks for the tip. I did blacken the borders of one of my decks once though and found that the black seemed so bleed around to the backs of the decks. I wonder if the same would happen in this case. Would love to know how it turns out and if you have any problems.

Orenda

AJ said:
Card publishers have explained here that is the reason most cards have borders. there are tiny inconsistancies of placement as the sheets are fed through the printing process. With the borders on this is difficult for the eye to notice, therefore becomes a moot point.

Nikigirl those are beautiful cards beautifully trimmed. Without the titles though I wouldn't have a single idea what the cards were :)
I think that is the most lame excuse I've ever heard from a publisher! It is their job to size the images for print, and if the artist's rendition is not aligned in size (by the artist's decision) then the publishers are off the hook. In this case, I believe Kris made the cards for the Lover's Path with paintings of different sizes in her rendition. The size difference is very obvious to the naked eye, even with borders.

And I love that deck Nickigirl! I think there is imagery there from the Rider-Waite, but no doubt that deck imagery should be studied, and trimming can reduce the 'clues' if you will. In this case, I love the elemental and astrological dignifications offered per card, and can see why you'd leave that in! Congrats on your trimmed dragon deck :)

ETA: recognition of two forms of dignification in those images from Nickigirl ;)

Orenda

sapienza said:
This happened to the back when I trimmed my Cosmic. I never thought of just using a sharpie on the back. Thanks for the tip. I did blacken the borders of one of my decks once though and found that the black seemed so bleed around to the backs of the decks. I wonder if the same would happen in this case. Would love to know how it turns out and if you have any problems.

I've heard that a small amount of waxy, black shoe polish can be effective. It also acts like the laminates of the fronts/backs, but is not easily absorbed to those coated surfaces compared to the raw trimmed sides.

Never done this myself, mind you! :p

Nickigirl

Well I did try the sharpie on the back of the cards and it worked great so far but I did get some on the edges. I'm going to try running the edge of each card over an ink pad (as someone here suggested) and see how that goes. :)

MysticalMoose

I am having a lovely afternoon in rainy old England... I got the Buckland Romani (Galde Press Edition) this week & while I love the art those white title bars at the bottom are just "ARGHH" so they are coming OFF! I've taken a few before pics & will post them for comparison when I've finished with the trimmed ones as well of course!. I've only done half a dozen cards so far but they are SOOOOO much better without the titles!!!! :)

:love: MM x

ETA:! I've done them all now & I love them! It makes such a difference :)
Here's a few pics xx

Attachments

• Buckland Untrimmed1.jpg
    Buckland Untrimmed1.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 123
  • Buckland Trim1.jpg
    Buckland Trim1.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 569
  • Buckland2Tuntrim.bmp
    284.6 KB · Views: 143
  • BucklandTrim2.bmp
    269.2 KB · Views: 297

Nickigirl

Dragon Deck (Pracownik)

So, I've completed the trimming on my dragon deck, and then used a black sharpie along the edges of the backs that had been left white. Then, I used a blue sharpie on the edges. It looks fantastic, but the blue ink is rubbing off a bit on my hands so I'll have to spray with a fixative I think.
Anyway, here are some pics of the finished deck!

Attachments

• dragon tarot front.jpg
    dragon tarot front.jpg
    274.9 KB · Views: 482
  • dragon tarot back.jpg
    dragon tarot back.jpg
    292.1 KB · Views: 411

Alta

That looks great, the blue edges go well.

BodhiSeed

Both the Dragon Tarot and the Buckland look terrific ladies! Well done!

Silver Crow

Here's Pearls of Wisdom and Deidre of the Sorrows trimmed.

Attachments

• deidre.jpg
    deidre.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 675
  • PoWtrimmed.jpg
    PoWtrimmed.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 441