RWS Tarot 101 Queen of Pentacles

PAMUYA

Queen of Pentacles

As I look into the card of the Queen of Pentacles I see a woman sitting on her thrown surrounded by nature. A rabbit in the forefront of the card represents family, friends, or decisive action tempered with good judgment.

The Queen holds her pentacle with loving care. This queen represents mothering and nurturing, but dose not represent motherhood itself. There are other threads discussing this queen as a prostitute or “the other” woman. There seems to be something resembling a penis sticking out of her chair next to the rams head. Since she dose not represent motherhood itself, perhaps she represents the sexual side of womanhood. Her red robe, the rabbit and the roses are all signs of passion/sexual desires. Pentacles are of the earth and material wants: sex for pentacles-not as far reaching as once thought. This side of life should be represented in one of the queens, it is the world’s oldest profession. Where better to be represented than in the suit of pentacles. I will still have to ponder awhile about this ;)

Here are the posts about the Queen:

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=36570.
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=36513&page=1&pp=10

She is the center of family/business and is very capable of running a house hold or business. This queen knows and believes in herself.

Direct: Earth mother, bounty, wealth, practical kindness, social graces, influential, confident, assured.

Reversed: Selfish, bad with money, wants to be taken care of/dependent, neglectful, tendency to addictions, disloyal.

HoneyBea

Sassyjackal said:
Queen of Pentacles

There seems to be something resembling a penis sticking out of her chair next to the rams head.

If you look at the card through a magnifying glass you will see the object you refer to is fruit, a pear, the pattern is repeated in the chair, pears and leaves, representing fruit and abundance.

The rabbit is a symbol of fertility and abundance and may well appear on the Queens card as a link to earth she being the Earth Queen even if she is tempered a little with water. :) She sits in her garden that is abundant in growth and appreciates all that is around her, but she is able to do so with restraint. She is not so much about over indulgence as an appreciation of life and an ability to be in tune with it. So she presents the image of be able to enjoy herself but without harm to those around her.

Her red robe, the rabbit and the roses are all signs of passion/sexual desires.

Red is the colour of fire and blood and can also represent life force, willpower, confidence, purpose, action as well as passion and sensuality. Red roses are often considered to symbolize passion and desire, but this does not necessarily have to be of a sexual nature.

This Queen is a self aware kind of person and she also has the characteristic of believing in herself.

I see nothing personally as overly sexual about her, she is at one with nature, Waite says of her in the PKT "whose qualities might be summed up in the idea of greatness of soul." She is a Queen that appears to have emotional depth to her but at the same time the ability to apply a practical approach to realistic goals. Although she does not represent here the creative part of motherhood she does seem to represent the more material aspects of it, she would be the sort of person who would bring you chicken soup when you are unwell and tuck you up in bed.

Of course her negative side would show an imbalance in that she may well become too materialistic and even throw herself into work in order to compensate for a chaos that may be in her life. She may well give up her nurturing side and replace it with neglect for everything, including family, finances and health.

Just some other thoughts on the Queen of Pentacles :)

~HoneyBea~

PAMUYA

HoneyBea said:
I see nothing personally as overly sexual about her, she is at one with nature, Waite says of her in the PKT "whose qualities might be summed up in the idea of greatness of soul." She is a Queen that appears to have emotional depth to her but at the same time the ability to apply a practical approach to realistic goals. Although she does not represent here the creative part of motherhood she does seem to represent the more material aspects of it, she would be the sort of person who would bring you chicken soup when you are unwell and tuck you up in bed."

~HoneyBea~

I have to agree with you on this, but until I read those threads and really thought about it, what other Queen deals with money, the material and earthly needs together. Many '"professional" women have been known to show acts of kindness toward others and give to charity.

I haven't totally made up my mind, but it has got me to thinking about it. What other queen would fit into this role if you had to assign one to it?

That's what I love about tarot..;)

DoctorArcanus

Rabbits and Venus

Rabbits are also a symbol of sexual desire and sensual love.
For instance, in the Schifanoia frescos, they are associated to Venus.