four of swords

Haunted Wood

Has anyone else noticed that the three swords that are hanging on the wall in the four of swords look like a poster with a picture of swords on it, rather than real swords hanging on the wall? Even the sword on the coffin thing looks more like an engraving rather than a real sword.

HoneyBea

grapefruitmoon said:
Has anyone else noticed that the three swords that are hanging on the wall in the four of swords look like a poster with a picture of swords on it, rather than real swords hanging on the wall? Even the sword on the coffin thing looks more like an engraving rather than a real sword.

I think you get that impression because they are contained in a square, I think they are isolated like that because of the reason I give below, in that they refer to the previous card the 3 Swords.

I've never stopped to consider whether the fourth sword looks real or not, I guess it is what the sword is symbolising that really counts for me. :)

The three swords hanging are in the downwards position on the wall symbolising that the negativity of the three has now been set aside, the fourth sword lays horizontal on the side of the sarcophagus, resting, indicating here that this is the time to reflect and consider. The lid to the sarcophagus is not closed showing that this is only a temporary situation where one can rest and meditate on what has passed - it shows us in the words of Robert M Place (Tarot History Symbolism and Divination)
This is a place where temporally we can be "dead to the world'.

This card relates to the Major Arcana Card The Emperor, who offers you structure and order.... this is what 4 can offer you.

~HoneyBea~

ridercheung

four sword, the sword hang on the wall, it means having something which outside of the real situation. for example, It simply noted that if you have read it with other card, other card represent the outside of you situation.
therefore, the sword is real, but not direct hurt the man who is sleeping,
only say that in that side situation is worst, and hard for you to sleep.

Teheuti

HoneyBea said:
The lid to the sarcophagus is not closed showing that this is only a temporary situation where one can rest and meditate on what has passed
Just curious why you assume the sarcophagus is not closed?

Often a sarcophagus is topped with a stone carving of just such a knight:
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1432/548245841_f2437c753e_o.jpg
www.metmuseum.org/TOAH/hd/crus/ho_25.120.201.htm
a search on 'tomb effigy' will take you to dozens of examples.

OTOH, I agree that the situation in the 4 of Swords is usually just temporary.

Mary

HoneyBea

Teheuti said:
Just curious why you assume the sarcophagus is not closed?

Mary

It looks that way to me, that it is not closed Mary, in the Original Rider Waite, there is the sarcophagus lid and then there is a black space between that lid and the bottom of the sarcophagus and in the Radiant Rider Waite that gap is shown by a brown space, giving at least to my eye the impression that the lid is partly not closed.

I guess it is how we see the images, you may well see that strip of colour as just another part of the body of the sarcophagus, I saw it as indicating a gap.

It does not mean I am right, or I am wrong, as Waite in the PKT gives us no clue whatsoever, we must make the best from what we can see I guess :D

Just looked at Robert's Book Tarot History Symbolism and Divination to see what he had to say about this card, he also sees the lid as open, so at least I am not on my own LOL

Helen

Teheuti

HoneyBea said:
there is the sarcophagus lid and then there is a black space between that lid and the bottom of the sarcophagus
I see what you're referring to now. Another mystery!

HoneyBea

Teheuti said:
I see what you're referring to now. Another mystery!

LOL - will we ever know Mary ;) :)