The Two Towers

Little Baron

I was just wondering today, whether anybody knows of any reasons why the towers in the Moon card seem to have also been put into the background of Death? I am imagining that these are the one and same. Any ideas? Does anybody know of any other cards that have parts of each other within them?

Best wishes

Yaboot

TemperanceAngel

The two towers is a recurring theme in RWS, the pillars in High Priestess and Chariot, the two figures of the Lovers, that is just to name a couple. I feel too lazy to look at my deck, so these are the first ones that come to mind.

The towers represent passive/aggressive, yin/yang, masculine/feminine to name but a few.

I am sure there will be plenty more ideas to this thread :)

XTAX

Little Baron

Thanks Temperance Angel. I just wondered, since the these two depictions of the towers are almost identical, if it was some kind of look into the future of the fools journey through the major cards. It's a strange feeling looking at it. It is like you are looking at the setting of the moon from a different angle or from the top of a hill. There is always the possibility that we could be viewing it from behind, as apose to the side we are used to seeing it from as the Moon card.

Yaboot

lark

Yes the bridge is the same bridge in the 5 of Cups and the 4 of Wands.www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20292

Also I always think that the window in the 5 of Coins and the 4 of Swords are different windows but in the same building. To me it says find the way in and you will find rest.

The 2 of wands looks like he is standing on top of the building in the background of the Chariot card, you can even see water behind the Chariot. So that puts the Chariot on the other side of the lake in the 2 of wands. I also think that the same bridge that is in the 5 of Cups and 4 of Wands is also in the 2 of Wands.

To me the towers in the Moon card and the towers in the Death card mean that there will be a time in all of our lives when the illusion of this world will be lifted, and we will see all things as they truly are.

Interesting question.
I am using the RW, Original Rider Waite and the Universal RW to see these things.

Little Baron

I can see what you mean; especially like the idea that the buildings in the chariot background is the one that the man stands on in the 2 of Wands. The trees surrounding the buildings seem to tie in and so too is the top of the wall pattern.

Thanks lark. I found that really interesting. Maybe it is just me but I got a bit confused with this one -" also think that the same bridge that is in the 5 of Coins and 4 of Swords is also in the 2 of Wands". I can't see any bridges in these cards.

Best wishes

Yaboot

lark

I'm so sorry I ment the 5 of cups and the 4 of wands.
I fixed it with an edit.

There's a little bridge in the two of wands. Right above the little red topped house next to the wand on the right.

I have three Rider Waite decks spread all over my table what a mess but a happy mess.

lark

This has got me thinking. You could probably make a map of the Rider Waite deck. Like the Hundred Acre Wood in Winnie The Pooh.
USGames could include it in every box of tarot cards and I would be rich, rich beyond my wildest dreams.!!!!!!!!

I'd better go eat something I'm getting delirious.

Jewel-ry

Yaboot001

Never noticed the towers in the Death card before. How interesting. I agree, it definately looks like you are looking at the view from a different angle. Also in Death, the Sun is between the towers, whereas obviously its the Moon in XVIII. I have to go to work now but will ponder this today. Interesting observation.

J :)

poivre

Just thought I would add also, is there a common theme with the 6 of swords & the 8 of cups?It looks like the same card only different in the Rider Waite Tarot.