Date the Rider-Waite changed to Italy

Chas0039

I have a lot of information on the US Games Rider-Waite deck history, however I cannot find when the manufacture was changed from Switzerland to Italy and US Games doesn't recall either. I know it was some time after 1986. Anyone else have any ideas?

Thanks

Amanda

I bought my Switzerland-printed RWS in the early 2000s, I think... nice and thick cardstock, not glossy like the Italy printings (yuck!). I'll hang on to this RWS forever...

Le Fanu

I thought that 2004 was the beginning of The Age of Gloss

Chas0039

Thanks, I'll use 2004 or thereabouts. Any idea when the copy-rite stamp started appearing on the card face? I have seen decks prior to 1986 with no stamp on the box and yet a stamp on the cards which makes no sense.

Thanks

Le Fanu

Hard to say; in the early 80s you could buy blue box RWS decks with a copyright on the cards and some boxes had cards inside without. I still see them on ebay. Some have US Games, 1971, bottom right, others have nothing.

Chas0039

Hard to say; in the early 80s you could buy blue box RWS decks with a copyright on the cards and some boxes had cards inside without. I still see them on ebay. Some have US Games, 1971, bottom right, others have nothing.

Thanks for your help.