St. Michael ~ Judgement

Fulgour

Praepositus Paradisi

The great Archangel is not only protector of the Christians on earth but of those in purgatory as well. He assists the dying, accompanies the souls to their private judgment, brings them to purgatory, and afterward presents them to God at their entrance into Heaven. Thus he is the actual patron of the holy souls. As Satan is "ruler" in hell so Michael is the "governor" of Heaven (Praepositus Paradisi) according to ancient books. The Church expresses this patronage in her liturgy. In the Offertory prayer of the Requiem Masses she prays:

Saint Michael, the banner bearer, may conduct them into the holy light...
I have long considered it to be St. Michael on XX Judgement,
especially as there is NO biblical reference to Gabriel's horn...
however, the banner (a red cross on white field) puzzles me.

Click on: St. Michael the Archangel for more. :)

celticnoodle

Fulgour said:
Praepositus Paradisi

I have long considered it to be St. Michael on XX Judgement,
especially as there is NO biblical reference to Gabriel's horn...
however, the banner (a red cross on white field) puzzles me.
fulgour, an interesting post. I have always viewed the Angel in the the judgement card as an announcer saying, judgement is coming now--so prepare yourself. So, if I am correct, the angel very much would be Archangel Gabriel, who is known as God's messenger as well as the Angel of the Incarnation, the Angel of consolation, and the Angel of mercy. However, you do give one something to think about. To me, the white banner with the red cross in it is one signifying mercy. The white flag w/the red cross generally signifies that help is on it's way, usually the help is an ambulance. So, I think that in this instance the help is "mercy" in the judgement. After all, God is all merciful, is he not?

EDIT: I forgot to include that there may not be any biblical reference to Gabriel's horn, but he is often depicted by Christians as blowing a horn or with white lilies. Also, it is generally accepted by Christians that he will announce the time for the judgement, thus in my opinion the appropriate choice for this card.

memries

Did the Knights Templar not have that flag or maybe it was reversed. Red with white. I feel some of the portrayals of the pictures in the cards relate to either a Masonic theme or Knights Templar. As was remarked upon when there was thread about the Death card.

Fulgour

Comparing "physical" details found in my Encyclopaedia...

VI The Lovers features Gabriel, complete with rainbow wings.
XIV Temperance aligns with Raphael, patron of travellers.
XVI The Tower has an energetic Uriel thundering just offstage.
XX Judgement brings us to Michael, performing her known duties.

[VI] Gabriel is the Angel of Annunciation, she brings Compassion
and she is the divine messenger who reveals God's will to humanity.

[XIV] Raphael is the Angel of Dawn, the Protector of the Earth,
which she heals, and the Chief of the Virtues. Her name means
"God has healed" and she is known as the "divine physician."

[XVI] Uriel means "light of God" and she is referred to as the
"fire of God." She is also known as the "flame of the sun" and
she protects against lightning, thunder, volcanic eruptions, etc.

[XX] Michael is the symbol of "Divine Justice." Her name signifies
"she who is like God" and she is considered the greatest of all angels.

In any case it's been my experience that an Angel will be
who you recognise them to be ~ even if they're invisible.

northsea

I've considered that maybe Judgment is Michael, but the standard view is that it's Gabriel, as in the Gnostic Tarot of the Saints. I'll have to further consider this.

Rosanne

I have just seen this thread! I think that flag is the flag of the Custody of the Holy Land. If this is so it would be Michael. His colour is Red and his emblem is Fire. Some religions think him as Adam, but he is thought by Catholics to be Adam's sort of angelic benefactor. He is supposed to take care of our souls and is like the psycopomp Cheron or maybe Hermes and guides souls to heaven. His battle cry is his name Mik-Hail, Mik-Hail or however it is pronounced in Hebrew, like a trumpet sound.~Rosanne

Fulgour

14th 15th century

I've gathered a few images of...
"St Michael weighing the souls"

Attachments

• St. Michael Weighing the Souls -3 views.JPG
    St. Michael Weighing the Souls -3 views.JPG
    84.5 KB · Views: 551

Rosanne

Thanks Fulgour! It never ceases to amaze me how much came out of Egypt,
that still influences our lives today.(wink and a nod here) Djinn Anubis or fourth son of Ra was hid in the bushes/reeds of the Nile and his story is that, or same of Moses. He and Michael also have a lot in common with weighing of the souls.
I can understand why some have thought Judgement to be Gabriel. He is in charge of those who sleep (literally) and he fights the end chaos- the Leviathon at the last days- but Gabriel is not the Angel of Judgement.~Rosanne

Fulgour

Why the [ + ] Cross and not the [ u^u ] Scales..?

The Artist's Toolkit: Encyclopedia
Minneapolis Institute of Arts
http://www.artsconnected.org/toolkit/encyclopedia.html

see by clicking on Balance...
http://www.artsconnected.org/toolkit/encyc_balancesymmetry.html

There are three different types of balance:
symmetrical, asymmetrical and radial.

I have (a personal) feeling here that we have stumbled upon
why Judgement is shown with a Trumpet... maybe, because
The Scales were already being used by Justice. It's too cool!