sense8

Teheuti

It's not about Tarot but a fascinating series on psychic/empathic abilities - the Netflix original series - ”sense8”. If you like something different in your TV experience this is it. What is it like to live in someone else's skin? Do you ever experience anything like this during a Tarot reading?

BTW, this is by the Wackowskis. Lana briefly came to the first Chicago Tarot conference with her then spouse, Thea Bloom - before the first film. So don't be surprised at the metaphysical stuff.

Teheuti

I think in the 2nd or 3rd episode there was a quick flash of someone in the background who could have been reading Tarot cards. Anyone else catch this.

Laura Borealis

We watched the first two episodes last night. I'm really enjoying it; the premise is great and I'm so pleased to see queer and trans characters written and acted with respect. I didn't see anyone reading tarot, but I'll keep my eyes open when we watch the next one.

Teheuti

The reviews aren't great but I think it is wonderful. Makes you wonder who writes the reviews?

Theta Choir

I just started watching this show yesterday, and I really like it. The story is building at a glacial pace, which normally I don't care for, but in this show I really feel it adds to the feeling that something in these eight people is slowly awakening.

I hope it catches on. I think it's fascinating.

Laura Borealis

Here's a link to trailers for all 8 of the main characters - http://www.dailydot.com/entertainment/sense8-character-trailers/

One thing I've noticed, so far (two episodes in) is the way they're handling the psychic link idea. Psychic links aren't that uncommon in media but I feel like they're usually treated pretty superficially, like as a plot point to get characters to know things they otherwise wouldn't (and solve the crime, save the world, or whatever).

With this show, the sensates seem to be making deeper connections with each other. It's personal and emotional. I get the feeling they will be helping each other out via the links. I don't want to give any spoilers by speculating though :)

seedcake

I think in the 2nd or 3rd episode there was a quick flash of someone in the background who could have been reading Tarot cards. Anyone else catch this.

I'll check it. I want to start watching this show. Would be great to see Tarot cards :)

And not only Wachowski's made the show, Straczynski too (I don't know why but it's so pleasing to see two Polish surnames linked with a new sc-fi show). I love Babylon 5 so well, I can't miss it :)

Teheuti

I'll check it. I want to start watching this show. Would be great to see Tarot cards :)

And not only Wachowski's made the show, Straczynski too (I don't know why but it's so pleasing to see two Polish surnames linked with a new sc-fi show). I love Babylon 5 so well, I can't miss it :)
The image I saw was super-quick, in the top-left of the screen - a flashback?? I don't remember. It looked like a woman at a table with cards in front of her. I was just so drawn into the film that I didn't think to stop and replay at the time.

I found that the show got better and better as it went along and the characters became more aware of each other - just as it should be. They are confused at first so we are journeying and discovering things with the characters. The first couple of episodes are, as Theta Choir mentioned, building story when none of the characters have any idea what is going on.

The theme that all the reviewers seem to miss out on, but is important to us as Tarot readers, is psychic-empathy. I've rarely seen it portrayed at such a deep level.

seedcake

The image I saw was super-quick, in the top-left of the screen - a flashback?? I don't remember. It looked like a woman at a table with cards in front of her. I was just so drawn into the film that I didn't think to stop and replay at the time.

I found that the show got better and better as it went along and the characters became more aware of each other - just as it should be. They are confused at first so we are journeying and discovering things with the characters. The first couple of episodes are, as Theta Choir mentioned, building story when none of the characters have any idea what is going on.

The theme that all the reviewers seem to miss out on, but is important to us as Tarot readers, is psychic-empathy. I've rarely seen it portrayed at such a deep level.

Really can't wait to watch the show now! :)

But I'm not surprised 'cause Straczynski dealed with psychic-empathy in Babylon 5 in more sc-fi/space opera manner (telepaths who were empaths too were wearing gloves all the time 'cause with the touch they got a lot of informations about people). It's great to know that he explored it more. I really hope it'll grow as my next favourite TV show with Penny Dreadful, Orphan Black and Orange is the New Black :)

danieljuk

Someone in my LGBT circle of friends was upset about the depiction of the AIDS epidemic in the show (they lived through it in SanFran so their viewpoint is understandable). Their problem seems to be that they are using the AIDS plot for tension for the Sci fi plot.

I haven't seen the show but heard it described as a "psychic Heroes". I should give it a go to form my own opinions :) I read a review online that the LGBT characters are great, the non LGBT characters are unfortunate stereotypes.

That is fascinating to find out Lana is into tarot and came to the conference! :thumbsup:
Sounds great with the empathetic / intuitive powers idea :)