Silk vs. Satin for Tarot Storage

Barleywine

It's always nice to upcycle :) besides, it gives an added value to the item, the memory of its first use. My Tapernoux golden Rider is wrapped in a sild scarve that used to belong to my mother, and each time I unwrap it, and use the scarve as a reading cloth, I have a little sensation of joy and nostalgy attached to my mother.
And you are right, good tarot cases or pouches are to be found everywhere : glasse cases, upcycled tins.... somewhere on the forum I read of someone using a nice pouch from a whiskey bottle.. was it you Barleywine ?

That was me. It's what I put my silk-wrapped Anna K in.

EmpyreanKnight

I prefer silk to satin, altho I do plan to one day use high-quality piña jusi. It is a diaphanous, delicate, and exquisite indigenous fabric made of pineapple fiber. So expensive, yet so worth it.

EvaSegovia

Dharma Trading Co. (just google the name) sells SILK SATIN 12mm - 17"x17" scarves, already hemmed (white only, they're meant to be dyed) for $3.16 each; also a 12 pack of cotton scarves (again white only) for $16.15 Hope that helps...

Carojulie

I've been using silk since my introduction to tarot....back when dinosaurs roamed freely. So far, my favorite source is Royal Silks. Here's a link to their "pocket squares"....
http://royalsilkusa.com/detail_pocketsilks.html

Dharma Trading Co. (just google the name) sells SILK SATIN 12mm - 17"x17" scarves, already hemmed (white only, they're meant to be dyed) for $3.16 each; also a 12 pack of cotton scarves (again white only) for $16.15 Hope that helps...

Hello Calcifer, Eva,

Do you use this sort of pocket square for wrapping the deck for storage, or as a reading cloth ?
This sort of men's pocket square is usually 16 X 16 inches, or sometimes 17 X 17 inches, and I think it would be a nice reading cloth, but isn't it too small ? a celtic cross would probably not fit, would it ?
and if you use it for storage, I am curious to know how you securely wrap the deck so it does not fall open ?

Thand you very much for the links !
:)

MizGrace

I store them usually out of the original boxes just the cards cards with whatever suits the look and feel of the deck. so silk or satin doesnt come into it, might even be crochet, beaded or ethnic bags. I like matching bags to decks even boxes I have hand painted. I hand painted one recently in celtic designs shades of purples. I am just getting to removing the cards from their boxes and giving them somewhere nice to live. Yet storing the boxes isnt easy. I have some random bags on cards and I sometimes pick up the wrong deck due to it.

I do like a silk scarf for laying my cards on though it focuses my eyes on the cards instead of things around me.

Barleywine

Hello Calcifer, Eva,

and if you use it for storage, I am curious to know how you securely wrap the deck so it does not fall open ?

Thand you very much for the links !
:)

I tie mine with a ribbon and put it in the bag. (Oops, I really should take that tag off the handkerchief.)

Attachments

• DSC00276.jpg
    DSC00276.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 201

elsa

I like keeping my decks at home in a wooden box. Each of the decks is in an organza bag. I like organza bags because you can easily see which deck is inside. :))
I always carry one or two decks with me, which I keep in a leather pouch or in a "gift box" (some of them are really nice, keep the deck protected and come in different sizes). I also take a cloth with me.....usually cotton....they don't wrinkle as much as other materials.

Carojulie

I tie mine with a ribbon and put it in the bag. (Oops, I really should take that tag off the handkerchief.)
It looks very good with the ribbon. I take it that is your Anna K hidden inside the hanky then !

Is the handkerchief large enough to use as a reading cloth ?