Any ideas for a study group?

Abrac

A study group has been started here http://tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=242100, but there's not much participation. It would be a lot better if more people joined in.

The whole "study group" plan seems to have shifted away from the form in which it was originally presented and apparently now if someone wants a group they should just start one.

Teheuti

A study group has been started here http://tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=242100, but there's not much participation. It would be a lot better if more people joined in.
Yes, 13 people indicated they were interested but only about five or six of us seem to be carrying the load. Please join in!!!!!

All questions, comments and contributions relevant to the text we are studying are welcome.

Teheuti

I have been informed that my request to stick to the topic of the study group is out of place. That this should be a virtual social gathering, a friendly discussion with other human beings that should be fun and allowed to go wherever anyone wants to take it, since obviously few people wish to talk about Waite. And that it is rude of me to ask people to take off-topic discussions to a new thread.

I'm afraid I've been spending far too much time looking up sources, responding to questions, and trying to help people make sense of Waite's text and his ideas about the Secret Tradition, when some participants would rather talk about anything other than Waite.

I didn't mean to treat people badly. Based on this I will bow out and leave the thread to those who would like to take it in a completely different direction.

Abrac

Mary, please don't quit. I for one am learning a lot from this study and from you. I can understand your frustration but I hope you'll reconsider as this is the only thread that's even attempting to understand Waite, it would be a shame to let it go down the drain. I'll take over posting of new sentences for discussion as I have plenty of time at the moment.

rwcarter

Moderator Note

From the Aeclectic Forum Rules:

Stay On-Topic

Asking a new question deep within a thread, that isn't directly related to the original topic? Post it in a new thread so everyone can follow the discussion.

Tempted to diverge into an unrelated tangent while deep in a thread? Show good manners and move your discussion to a more appropriate area.

Avoid meta-discussion, which is discussing the discussion you're having. Instead of talking about the thread or post itself while you're posting in it, stick to the original topic. Any concerns about our policies, rules or guidelines should be sent privately to a moderator or to administration for handling.
Those are the guiding principles for every forum at Aeclectic. The Moderator(s) of each forum decide what is and isn't on or off topic, not the thread starter and not the members. Some leeway is allowed for discussions to be organic, but when/if a thread goes too far off-topic then the Moderators will intervene.

MissChiff

Please don't leave Mary. I know I haven't said much but I am learning a lot of things that I haven't even considered. I've really enjoyed this topic.

Abrac

I think I'm outta here too. This study hasn't turned out at all like I thought it would when the idea was first introduced. 13 people voted and said they'd participate, that was really the only reason I was anxious to get started. If anyone else wants to try and keep it going, best wishes.

MissChiff

Well I feel bad because I'm just a lurker... I take some pretty hefty pain killers.. And I tend to drop off..

Richard

I think some people signed up mainly because they wanted the study group to happen so that they could lurk and learn. Maybe a more relaxed approach, in which the guidelines are not too strict, would encourage more participation. Sometimes when people stray a bit from the agenda it is because they want to investigate a particular topic further, which may lag behind a strict schedule. Also, people don't take well to being reprimanded. It tends to make the atmosphere a bit oppressive.

I must admit that I had my fill of workshops in my professional life, and I hate them with a passion. Perhaps a discussion group does not need to be as regimented as a workshop.

This is not intended as a criticism of Mary's approach. It is merely a suggestion in view of the apparent lack of participation.

Richard

Come now, surely not everyone is too intimated to comment. Originally there was significant interest in such a study group. Has that evaporated merely because the first attempt seems to have fizzled? Please speak up. Opinions are needed.