Different Roles for Different Tarot Decks

velvetina

I was responding to a post in Le Fanu's blog *(about the Greenwood deck) and thought it could lead to some posts here....

how different tarot decks might occupy different roles in one's life; for example, for myself the Rider-Waite- Smith is my home; I'm so familiar with that deck and all roads lead to it and my heart is there

however, the Thoth I'd compare to my university days....the things you learn, the people you meet that test you; the good, the bad, the ugly! Those key formative experiences; scary and wonderful and impossible to repeat (with any authenticity).

The Marseille is a composite of Aunties. Especially the ones who live slightly exotic and suspect lives, who have different recipes for favourite pies, their houses smell unfamiliar, the photo albums are filled with strangers.....I had so many exciting aunties! I was extremely fortunate to have Catholic/Jewish/Muslim/Atheist aunties, but I digress & hope the analogy works :)

The Bohemian Gothic is my aesthetic world; literature, art ,tastes, etc
The Mary-El is my 'mature student PhD' world

and then there are 'holidays' spent in places like Paulina!

Finally, the Greenwood is my .....mmn, not sure how to explain....my "spiritual" side, my own personal shamanka, my sacred place. The archaeologist in me goes 'hmmmm', but my heart says 'YES!!!'

Anyone else?

* I don't like the word 'blog'. Its horrible, like slug. I prefer the word 'journal'....whyever did we happen upon such an unpleasant abbreviation?

nisaba

Ah, the web-log ...

The Granny Jones mothers me.

Some decks, like that Dollar Tree Tarot make me laugh, and not in a good way. Others, like the Tarot of the Dead, make me laugh in a good way.

The rest just provide richness in my life. :)

Richard

I think this is an interesting idea for those who collect and use lots of different decks. I don't do that, so for me a single deck has to play all the roles (like Snoopy in A Charlie Brown Christmas, who was chosen to play all the animals in the Christmas play).

KristinCali

This reminds me of a post that asked if your decks had different personalities...

My first deck ever, Mystic Dreamer, reminds me of an honest friend who thinks too much, over analyzes things, my emotional deck.

Tarot of the Mystic Spiral, aaaaah I am at a loss for words with this deck. This is my home, my all time favorite. Very honest and deep, but sometimes makes me think too hard.

Wheel of the Year is my 2nd home even though it's one of my newer decks. I didn't expect to like such a colorful "fluffy" deck but it reads like a dream! Very comfortable and easy-going.

My Ancient Italian is like a wise old grandfather. Straightforward.

My RW decks are the clearest. Very unemotional and blunt.

My Enchanted Map Oracle is like a sweet, caring, gentle, fairy godmother, but maybe too kind and shelters me from harsh realities.

Shadowscapes is like a stubborn sibling who doesn't like to share. Kinda difficult for me to get along with.

Universal Fantasy is always an adventure, and sometimes difficult.

Tarot Of Trees is like a wonderful vacation! I love reading with this deck, it feels fantasy-like but still realistic at the same time.

I haven't had a chance to read with The Wild Unknown yet!