Deck Distress

pumog

Debra, how would I do that? You mean see him finding a way to escape?

pumog

I just found this on the internet, which makes me think a little differently... I feel a bit happier...:)

In Pompeii did anyone escape from mount vesuvius?
In: Italian History, Volcanoes, Roman Empire, Mount Vesuvius [Edit categories]
Answer:
Yes, in fact one could speculate that most people escaped. Only about 2,000 bodies have been found and there is still less than a quarter of the town to be uncovered. The population of Pompeii is estimated to be anywhere from 25 to 30 thousand (no exact figures are available) and slaves were not counted in a population. So therefore, it's highly unlikely that 20,000 plus bodies will be found crammed into the small part of the town that is yet to be excavated.

Oddity

I just found this on the internet, which makes me think a little differently... I feel a bit happier...:)

In Pompeii did anyone escape from mount vesuvius?
In: Italian History, Volcanoes, Roman Empire, Mount Vesuvius [Edit categories]
Answer:
Yes, in fact one could speculate that most people escaped. Only about 2,000 bodies have been found and there is still less than a quarter of the town to be uncovered. The population of Pompeii is estimated to be anywhere from 25 to 30 thousand (no exact figures are available) and slaves were not counted in a population. So therefore, it's highly unlikely that 20,000 plus bodies will be found crammed into the small part of the town that is yet to be excavated.

That makes me happy too! :) (I had nightmares about Pompeii too after seeing one of those documentaries when I was little)
Maybe you can imagine that this soldier is one of those who will survive?

Or could you imagine that the scene is not Pompeii, but... some other thing happening that is not _as_ horrible to you, like a city burning (Rome perhaps), or even just one large building? I mean, a burning city is horrible too, but you wouldn't have volcanoes or lava.

Or take the card out, if it is still too horrible for you, and use the title card that comes with the deck as your "nine of wands" instead. I imagine that would be very neutral and safe, plus it has the same backs and size as all the others. I wouldn't throw the original card away, because if you ever want to sell the deck on, it's better if it is complete. It is a Baba deck after all and lots of people seem to love them :)

pumog

Hi Oddity

No, sadly someone posted on the VR 9wands study group that the book says it is a print showing a Roman soldier choosing to remain on duty while Pompeii was destroyed, so I can't imagine it was something else sadly! Also I know that eruptions are a bit like tsunamis, in that if you can see the lava/water you're too late to escape it, and I have it pretty fixed in my head that that is what he's seeing.

Where I'm going with it tonight is that WHEN I am feeling extremely tough, upbeat, brave, etc I will use the deck and if I see that card, decide that it's a warning about how sometimes it's not worth the trouble to be too stubborn/dutiful about staying in a bad situation.

When I'm feeling more delicate (which is most often) I will take your EXCELLENT idea (!!!!!!) and replace that &*^&%*^ card with the title card, which YES thank heavens I did NOT throw away!!! And you're also right, I will keep the ^*&(%$) card as I see that one version of the VR is going for hundreds of £ on Amazon UK at the moment!

Thanks for the great suggestions!

nisaba

Hi

Yes, it's a good idea, I was thinking of that too! I'd love to tear that card up into tiny pieces and replace it with some other one, but I think all their other similar ones are either out of print or very expensive... so frustrating!

I wouldn't be doing that.

Perhaps that card is painful for you at the moment, because it has special and deep relevance to this period in your life. Over the last thirtyish years, I've spent time sensitised to one card or another. Time moves on, and it wears off.

Also, as to its bearing "bad messages" - we *need* cards in the deck that do that. Else, how are we to do readings which are real? Not everyone's life is all about fluffy rainbows and fairy-joy.

Oddity

eruptions are a bit like tsunamis, in that if you can see the lava/water you're too late to escape it
Not always, it also depends on the terrain and how thick the lava is and... some other things that I don't remember (and actually don't have much of a clue about, I'm just going by what my friends in Iceland told me about those things.) So there _might_ still be a possibility that our soldier could make it if he starts running right now.

Yeah, I know, I know... but I like to see possibilities. :)

pumog

Also, as to its bearing "bad messages" - we *need* cards in the deck that do that. Else, how are we to do readings which are real? Not everyone's life is all about fluffy rainbows and fairy-joy.

Hi

Yes, I agree... except I feel that the Tower, the 5 swords, 3 swords, Devil, Death are quite enough without adding a horror-spinned 9 Wands too, when 9 wands is usually not that bad in most decks...

pumog

Not always, it also depends on the terrain and how thick the lava is and... some other things that I don't remember (and actually don't have much of a clue about, I'm just going by what my friends in Iceland told me about those things.) So there _might_ still be a possibility that our soldier could make it if he starts running right now.

Very interesting! Thanks for that... lets say that the terrain was particularly lava-unfriendly near him and all of a sudden his cousin with the spare horse came by and dragged him off.. mmm... I'm liking it ;-)

ana luisa

I see a neat irony in all this. The soldier opts to follow the rules and stays put while destruction is wreaking havoc. By reading the meaning in the white book and "sticking"to what this image SHOULD mean, you are also following the rulers. Since you are obviously an imaginative person and quite sensitive, why not forget the allusion to Pompeii and see this as a play, for instance, where the soldier, so anguished at the situation decides to barge in , tell the others and help them escape ? After all, that's what the 9 of Wands is about: resisting and fighting for what YOU believe and want. You be the soldier.
You could also do Greer's exercise and "enter"the card. If you are unfamiliar with this, do ask me and I'll post more info on that.
In any case, please, do not dump this deck. I liked the suggestion of using the extra card as a substitute. If nothing else appeals to you, then, that could be a nice option :)

pumog

I see a neat irony in all this. The soldier opts to follow the rules and stays put while destruction is wreaking havoc. By reading the meaning in the white book and "sticking"to what this image SHOULD mean, you are also following the rulers. Since you are obviously an imaginative person and quite sensitive, why not forget the allusion to Pompeii and see this as a play, for instance, where the soldier, so anguished at the situation decides to barge in , tell the others and help them escape ? After all, that's what the 9 of Wands is about: resisting and fighting for what YOU believe and want. You be the soldier.
You could also do Greer's exercise and "enter"the card. If you are unfamiliar with this, do ask me and I'll post more info on that.
In any case, please, do not dump this deck. I liked the suggestion of using the extra card as a substitute. If nothing else appeals to you, then, that could be a nice option :)

I love all this, the irony angle is a neat challenge to my brain ;-) Lots of food for thought. I will think on that deeply! Best I don't do the Greer exercise though - I have this horrible habit of getting sort of OCD obsessed with tragedies that upset me, so that I start to find out every tiny detail and can't stop myself researching and imagining. I know what I'm like, which is why I avoid films and exhibitions of this sort of thing like the plague!!!!

I won't dump the deck. It will sound silly but it really upset me, this whole episode... I had been so enjoying journalling and studying and then - Bammo!

I'm off to bed now, everyone - I really appreciate all the suggestions and support very much - many thanks - and if there's more I'll be reading them tomorrow. Thanks again!