Masculine tarot decks out there?

Glass Owl

These are - of course - different aspects of masculinity - and I know it's not tarot but it so belongs on a list like this because it's so irresistable; the Gods & Titans Oracle - for the kitschly exuberant and pumped up male emerging from the primeval swamp.

Oh, yes, absolutely - the Gods & Titans Oracle! It is actually the first deck that popped into my head. Looking over my collection, I would have to say that the Darkana Tarot jumps out as masculine to me, especially with its Badass card. Oh, and the Crow's Magick Tarot too - its swords suit in particular.

Freddie

Robin Wood

TDM

Wildwood

Druidcraft

Freddie

Farzon

Very true about the Wildwood.
It's like a forest you go to for a ritual of initiation. If I remember the companion-book correctly, it is even intended that way.

feynrir

Reading tarot isn't a macho sport. And it's not about a stereotypical view of masculinity. That's why a rugged tarot deck is so hard to find. You're asking tarot to be something that, by nature of what it's meant to be, can't be.

I found this post pretty interesting (and accurate, at least, in that this style of tarot deck is hard to find).

I see where you're coming from, but this is where gendering attributes gets murky! I think it is absolutely possible to be robust, powerful, and forward while still fully in connection with your spiritual (more passive/feminine/inner) nature. In fact, I feel at my most spiritually aligned when I'm powerful and energetic. It's a transcendent feeling. And I guess that's a huge reason why I'm looking for a deck like this in the first place--the tarot, for me, is an empowering and thus meditative force :)

It's reasons like this that gendering a deck as "masculine" or "feminine" gets touchy. I was definitely hesitant to ask this question at first, but I'm glad I did. I got a lot of wonderful responses and I'm checking all the suggested decks out RIGHT NOW :D Wish I could respond to everyone, haha.

As a last note, I really hope I haven't bothered anyone who is gender-nonconforming or is otherwise bothered by traditional gendering practices. I think these tired associations can be irksome, myself!

Joshua

Another vote for wildwood lots of masculine energy there. I like the steampunk tarot which has a good mix of strong male and female characters.

danieljuk

I see where you're coming from, but this is where gendering attributes gets murky! I think it is absolutely possible to be robust, powerful, and forward while still fully in connection with your spiritual (more passive/feminine/inner) nature. In fact, I feel at my most spiritually aligned when I'm powerful and energetic. It's a transcendent feeling. And I guess that's a huge reason why I'm looking for a deck like this in the first place--the tarot, for me, is an empowering and thus meditative force :)

It's reasons like this that gendering a deck as "masculine" or "feminine" gets touchy. I was definitely hesitant to ask this question at first, but I'm glad I did. I got a lot of wonderful responses and I'm checking all the suggested decks out RIGHT NOW :D Wish I could respond to everyone, haha.

As a last note, I really hope I haven't bothered anyone who is gender-nonconforming or is otherwise bothered by traditional gendering practices. I think these tired associations can be irksome, myself!

I'm pretty non gender conforming as androgynous and not offended :)
but you are right in a way that when you put labels on things or gender the decks it causes problems. But also most tarot things and decks are in some way 'feminine'. It's feminine biased, maybe because historically more readers were women, maybe sales are more from women. Whatever the truth in that there was a history of marketing them to "wise women" rather than men.

Metafizzypop is right that tarot is not a masculine rugged sport but there is masculine men (and women) who read the tarot!

In my divination I am quite feminine and empathetic, I have no problem with the decks that I have. But I can see this is a problem for some men! For example Tarot Bear made that tarot deck and book about 'tarot for men' because of frustration. In his tarot deck there is men playing sports and the passions and hopes and dreams of many men. I really believe there is a female bias in the RWS deck for example. The gay tarot did this well, it showed pictures of a whole load of masculine orientated scenes and characters, like in a theatre producing a play, on a computer, driving in a car. Women can identify with those scenes as well but the point is why are they not in most decks, lack of masculine pursuits and characters. I think there is a need for decks that balance the other side, for some people and for some spreads. I just hope no one products a tedious sports based deck :D

glad you started the thread feynrir!

Gulliver

You asked for "rough energies". How about the Mary El? Or I would second the suggestion of the Hudes. It seems you are looking for something lusty, ethnic.

annabel398

You probably won't be able to put your hands on a copy, but the Rohrig Tarot sprang instantly to my mind. Magus, Emperor, Heirophant, Devil, Chariot, and all the knights (Thoth-based)... It does have some wonderfully depicted women as well, but... Yeah, very masculine deck. (does anyone else think the Rohrig Emperor looks a bit like Liam Neeson?)

In print? Hmm, maybe Liber T, or the Dante tarot by the same artist. Dante is beautiful but for me unreadable, alas.

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/rohrig/
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/liber-stars-eternal/
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/dante/

Edited to add: of course, Le Fanu's beat me to the Rohrig. I too noticed that all my candidates were Thothy. And how could I have overlooked Light and Shadows? I seldom use it (square corners + iffy cardstock + odd, awkward shape) but it is full of raw energy. I've always had a weak spot for linocuts and woodcuts... If Mark Summers ever did a tarot, I'd be first in line.

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/light-and-shadow/

(Don't know Mark Summers? Sure you do, if you've been in a Barnes & Noble in the past five years... He's the guy who did the scratchboard portraits of Virginia Woolf, Charles Dickens, et al.)