Reversals in Advice Positions

athenarebels

Hi there!

Based on advice I have received here and elsewhere, I am going to start holding out on reversals until I gain some experience.

However, I am still trying to work through readings I did BEFORE I decided this.

Literally all of my advice positions have been reversed. Any tips on how to work through this? Is the suggestion that I need to do more of the embodiment of the upright in order to achieve that outcome?

Enlightenment23

When I first started using tarot, I jumped right into using reversals. I know it can be a little daunting at first, but don't be afraid of it or intimidated by it. I find that the more you avoid learning it, you'll become too averse to reading reversals in the future.

Anyhow, let me help you out.

When it comes to reversals in advice positions, the language is Do not (insert tarot card that's reversed)

So for example, I've gotten the Nine of Swords Reversed as advice for how to confront a friend about her tardiness! She was always late and it was so frustrating.

This was saying, "Do not (Nine of Swords). Meaning, do not keep thinking about and do not allow this to take over your mind. Just get it over with and tell her how you feel already!

Or you might get the Fool Reversed as advice for taking a spontaneous solo trip to some country you've never been to.

This is saying, Do not (The Fool). Meaning, do not make any rash, unplanned decisions or you can find yourself falling flat on your face! You can go, but plan thoroughly!

Basically, I've found that reversals in advice positions is all about "releasing" or "relieving" yourself from the energies of the card. So, with the 9 of Swords Rx, tarot is advising yourself to relieve yourself of the constant thinking/wondering. So with the Fool Rx, tarot is advising you to release yourself of the unprepared/spontaneous/carefree energies of the Fool.

I hope this makes sense! I too used to be so confused about reversals in advice positions. :)

I'm writing a book about reversals, so this is good practice for me.

Barleywine

Since I often see reversals as cautionary or advisory anyway, putting one in an "advice" position just reinforces the emphasis on paying close attention to what's going on. I would call it "Do not, unless . . ." and follow with words on how to manage the challenge. I like Mary Greer's idea of a "red flag" that imparts a warning.

athenarebels

Thank you both. This is food for thought and makes my reading make a lot more sense!

Prilica

Hi there!

Based on advice I have received here and elsewhere, I am going to start holding out on reversals until I gain some experience.

However, I am still trying to work through readings I did BEFORE I decided this.

Literally all of my advice positions have been reversed. Any tips on how to work through this? Is the suggestion that I need to do more of the embodiment of the upright in order to achieve that outcome?
I agree with Enlightenment23 and Barleywine.

Other times being in the advice position I see them as blocked, aspects that are hindering your progress in that matter.

Sometimes actively you can change their energy, to change the outcome.
And other times you can't do it and it's better let it go... don't force it to be the way you want it to be because their energy are out of your control and it's best if you surrender or move on. Accept.

Let's say you ask about some big fight or argument you had with a friend. And you wonder if it will be a good idea to contact her. In the advice position you get the 2 of cups Rx. It shows the harmony is blocked

So in this case I would interpret it the advice yes it would be good to call her, but not now, would be good to call postpone the call... letting the things calm down a bit.

Let's say in the same question you get the justice Rx. This would make me feel that I would rather retreat. Let it go. The justice RX as advice, is telling us that that friendship is not balanced anymore even if it feels unfair for you.

But everyone has its own style of reading that takes form over time....:)

Hi there!