DECK OF THE MONTH: JUNE

merissa_88

Druidcraft Tarot

This first half of the month has been spent reading the druidry.org site and listening to podcasts. I'm trying to get out of my habit of thinking the Druidcraft is an RWS clone. So I'm spending a lot of time looking at the majors. I really enjoyed Philip Carr Gomm's discussion of some of the cards on Global Spiritual Studies' website. It's helping me to look a little deeper at these cards.

For example, listening to some of the bardic course audio clips helped me rethink The Magician card. It's been helpful since I keep drawing the card in my daily readings.

Mi-Shell

I wrote a blog post about the first batch of Mayors of the Crysalis. I would love to discus a few things with people but there is nobody in the study forum about this deck ...
I KNOW lots of people have this deck...
So where to go to talk?
Tarot decks maybe.....

DaisyDragonfly

Universal Waite

Checking in :)

Loving the Universal Waite. I've just not been able to get on with the RWS itself, but this version - the colours! - is really working for me. The advice is always crystal clear. I'm loving it.

I'm also liking the Sasha Graham book. I was going to have a go at the spreads that weren't immediately relevant to my life, just to play with the cards a little bit, but the first time I tried that I was quickly disabused of any notion of playfulness, lol! The cards wanted to have a serious talk with me, and so I had to listen. Lesson learned!

It's such a great deck. I can't think why I've waited until now to buy it.

RavenLuna

Nearly halfway through the month, and I finally remember to say which deck I'm using... Universal Waite. Funny, because it's the one I use least, and have had the longest, but I'm enjoying it more than I expected. It's very easy to read.

Nar

I've actually gone back and forth quite a bit this month. It was ferrets for a while, and then I got some new decks and tried the Revelations deck (beautiful, but not for me), and now I'm back to Medieval Cat Tarot.

hopena

Checking in :)

Loving the Universal Waite. I've just not been able to get on with the RWS itself, but this version - the colours! - is really working for me. The advice is always crystal clear. I'm loving it.

I'm also liking the Sasha Graham book. I was going to have a go at the spreads that weren't immediately relevant to my life, just to play with the cards a little bit, but the first time I tried that I was quickly disabused of any notion of playfulness, lol! The cards wanted to have a serious talk with me, and so I had to listen. Lesson learned!

It's such a great deck. I can't think why I've waited until now to buy it.

This was one of the first decks that I received, ten years ago. I didn't use it for a few years, but I also loved it once I did. It was my regular reading deck for a while.

I wanted 365 Tarot Spreads, last year, but had to put off buying it. I'll have to see about getting it soon.

lalalibra

I'm enjoying reading the posts here :)

So yes, here we are a little over halfway through June and I'll be honest with you all - I've actually caved and used another deck; breaking my intention of using just one deck alone for this month. But I couldn't resist my new Ceccoli Tarot after having it on my wishlist for months and months and then finally getting around to getting a copy for myself! And oh the joy!! Love love love!!!

But all that aside, I've been having an awesome experience with the Mary-el Tarot. I think taking some time alone with a deck for an extended period of time (even just a few days) seems to really help me focus on hearing that deck's particular voice, and I'll be sure to do this from now on whenever I feel drawn to. The Mary-el has been really spot on for me in terms of having a particular feel to it that is very inspiring, uplifting, and very much needed right now... especially in helping to support me in staying centered through some big changes this month.

Mi-Shell

Oh, I am sooo torn!
I have to admit, I am a bit disappointed and -? - confused by the Crysalis Tarot.
I read almost all the posts on the deck creator's web site and each and every one of those is a well thought out well of information. But still, the choice of portraying so many Mayors as teen aged kids, the imbalance of male to female in the images that I continue to perceive as well as the rather odd choices of characters to portray some of the Mayors - all these points together have resulted in me leaving the deck laying on my writing table, searching for words to describe my feelings - and then putting it of and away - because I feel I am still not ready....
The cards are still in order, I have not shuffled them and read with them......
And time is running away ... as it always does....
However, there somehow are some signs of life in the Roots of Asia study group and so I am drifting away.....
Ad to that, that the Oracle of the Month group is looking at Playing Cards, which made me pull out my lovely Bergsma Animal Card deck.....
I am 'dancing on too many weddings'/ card decks here!
Shame on me!

merissa_88

Druidcraft Tarot

Great thread this month!

It's almost the solstice and I'm thrilled to be using a deck that deliberately connects to the Wheel of the Year. I listened to the first Druidcast podcast the other day and they discuss the cycle, comparing the natural cycle (equinoxes, solstices) to the mid-point agricultural celebrations like Beltane and Samhain.

I'm finally getting over my tendency to look at the Druidcraft as RWS with druids. It's not, and I can see it if I only read the book's description of the imagery. It's helpful to ignore the divinatory meanings in the book which are so RWS. One of the most fun is The Lord. This illustrates a little piece of British Mesolithic hunter/gatherer sites like Starr Carr with the reindeer artifacts. This deck is a lot closer to the Greenwood than I thought.

I'm not really dreaming well with this deck but had some powerful meditations.

Mi-Shell

well, I just put my"card description posts" aside, just shuffled the deck and started reading with it.
I like, how the deck handles, the smoothness of the cards gliding over each other... I like handling it, I like it colour pallet of most of the cards...
Reading wise......
Hmmmm again and again I am stumbling over the unconventional cards and the naming of the Courts. That will take some getting used to.