reading for yourself, can you?

tarot_quest

Hi guys!

I was just curious to know how you feel about reading for yourself? It would be cool to do not just get a -yes I can/no I can't- type of answer. So feel free to elaborate! :)

-Do you feel a different energy when you read for yourself?
-Do you do it at a particular moment?
-Are you accurate when you read for yourself (sometimes, always, more or less than when you read for others?)

For myself, I tend to be more negative! I often see the cards and I think Sh**! But when I take my time and I look at the cards for a while, I start to see relevant information.

I think that I am slower when reading for myself and I doubt more about the answer. Yes, it is easier to read for others but I love doing it for myself if I am not too stressed or emotionally involved with the topic.

What about you? ;)

feynrir

My take on it!

Yes, absolutely! I tend to be more meditative and take readings more seriously when I read for myself versus when I read for others. With others, it's easier to read cards objectively and tell a story with them. With myself, the cards tend to get all jumbled up with whatever I'm thinking about, PLUS what is happening in my life, who the characters depicted could represent, etc. I find reading for myself to be more complicated, and sometimes, less fun as a result.

I do readings for dream analysis when I have a particularly vivid dream. I also do them when I have a burning question I don't mind exploring.

I go on-and-off with doing daily draws. 50% of the time they really seem like crap--admittedly, I can spin a connection with just about any card and any situation, but I can sure tell when it feels forced. No fooling myself :)

-Are you accurate when you read for yourself (sometimes, always, more or less than when you read for others?)
With certain decks I tend to be more accurate for myself!

Decks that have struck me with their accuracy for myself are my:
-DruidCraft
-Robin Wood (really great for dream interpretation for some reason!)
-Joie de Vivre
-Shadowscapes

I have many more decks that are very accurate for me, but I have experiences with these that stand out.

I think I tend to be more accurate for others than myself, just because I usually ask things that are more introspective and open-ended when I'm my own querent.

Cocobird55

I read for myself. I'm good at detaching, so that makes it easier. I generally look for guidance about the day coming up. My best readings have been when I ask for advice -- I need to think outside the box or I will repeat things over and over again. The cards give me a new prospective.

Alta

Yes, I generally can. The 'generally' is because I don't do as well reading on issues where I feel deeply emotional.

I use different techniques. Sometimes I ask myself what I would say about those if I were reading for someone else. Sometimes it just clicks, anything from a nod of the head ("thought it was like that") to real revelations. As much as possible I try to suppress: my emotions, my hopes or fears about the outcome, my opinions of others involved, positive or negative.

tarot_quest

I do readings for dream analysis when I have a particularly vivid dream. I also do them when I have a burning question I don't mind exploring.

That's interesting! I also do it once in a while for dreams :) I am sure that most of the dreams that we do means something...

With certain decks I tend to be more accurate for myself!

Decks that have struck me with their accuracy for myself are my:
-DruidCraft
-Robin Wood (really great for dream interpretation for some reason!)
-Joie de Vivre
-Shadowscapes

For this I am really surprised! Do you have an idea how a deck could me more accurate than another one?

Thanks for your nice reply!

tarot_quest

I read for myself. I'm good at detaching, so that makes it easier. I generally look for guidance about the day coming up. My best readings have been when I ask for advice -- I need to think outside the box or I will repeat things over and over again. The cards give me a new prospective.

Yes I like asking for advice, but sometimes they are tough to interpret!! I wish I could detach myself more like you do

tarot_quest

As much as possible I try to suppress: my emotions, my hopes or fears about the outcome, my opinions of others involved, positive or negative.

That is a tough thing to do :) I guess that it takes practice but it is the best thing to do, being detached!

feynrir

Ideas about accuracy

Do you have an idea how a deck could me more accurate than another one?

Thanks for your nice reply!

You're very welcome! :D

I certainly do have ideas about how some decks could be more accurate than others.

1. Artwork resonating with me. If I find something more pleasing to look at, why WOULDN'T it be easier to pull from? It's easier to look at a picture more deeply when things are pleasing enough to keep looking at the picture itself.

2. Overall ease of reading/clarity. This particularly explains the Robin Wood, because I wasn't drawn to the art of it when I first used it for reading. A good deck to read with is uncluttered, IMO. Everything in the composition has its place and can be focused on when needed. None of the decks that read best for me are Thoth- or Marseille-based; all RWS. This is probably because this is the system I learned first. I love Marseille decks, but I'm still working out a fluid system to read pips for myself. I don't quite have one yet. Old habits die hard!!

3. Expressiveness. Again, this is where the Robin Wood (and the Joie de Vivre!) really shines--the characters all have distinct expressions on their faces, elaborate gestures, and beckon interaction between cards. Marseille-style decks also, IMO, beckon for interaction between cards with their human figures, and I read very well with non-pip Marseille cards. Cards that aren't as expressive or concrete are going to really make things difficult in spelling out interaction--which is often a part of a query.

These are pretty concrete ideas I have, and none of them rely on any kind of spiritual tie to the cards--it's simple storytelling and association. :) Decks that work well with this, work best for me.

Meditarot

I read mainly for myself, very rarely for others. I've been incognito with this hobby of mine so not many people would know to even ask for a reading.

There are many pros for reading for oneself, but one of the cons could be that sometimes you run out of things to ask! The daily draws are nice, but there are times when my days are mainly just working, studying eating and sleeping.. I should appreciate these days too, I guess, but I feel like that there's not much to "read" about them.

I can't say for sure, but I could say I feel more in tune with when I'm reading for myself. When reading for another person, there's always a small nervousness of if the reading goes well or if I read incorrectly or just botch things up and end up giving wrong interpretations.

Usually when I'm calm, yes. I don't tend to do readings when I'm stressed or anxious.

I've been accurate/premonitive when reading for both myself and others. But sometimes when I've been reading for myself, I've got a glimpse of the card in my mind even before drawing the very same card. This hasn't happened when I've been reading for others so I guess that's one difference.

I should probably create a thread for this.. To see if others have had this kind of a phenomenon.

Lycanthropos

I absolutely read for myself, and the results are spot-on 99% of the time. I may not see the connections at first and have to revisit a spread a few times over the course of a day (sometimes two!), but the times I get perplexed I do eventually figure out what the cards are saying.

I typically use the Vision Quest deck for my personal readings and feel a special connection with it. I have never used it to read for anyone else and don't plan to. I don't know if it's because I have Native American ancestry or some other reason, but the images come alive for me and I always get an accurate reading from it. I do use other decks when the mood strikes...I have one I use specifically for full moon and new moon readings, but I will use that to read for others as well.

I don't really feel a huge difference in energy when reading for myself vs. reading for others, but there is some difference. Since it's (obviously) a reading done in person, I feel a lot of energy coursing through me, which I don't always get when I do online readings. I think one difference is that I'm handling the deck 100% of the time and the reading being for me, the energy is all about what's going on with me, versus doing a reading for another where they do a limited amount of deck handling and energy is mixed together.